What was your total cost for spaying your corgi?

I have a private vet who is charging ~$280 total (includes pain meds, bloodwork, everything) to spay my 8-month old corgi. Sticker shock!

How much did it cost to get your corgi spayed? Was the cost just the spaying cost? Were there other costs associated? What was the total cost that you ended up paying?

How do you feel about getting a pet spayed at a university veterinary clinic?

It's been about 15 years since I had a pet spayed...and then the cost was ~$80.

Thanks in advance!!

Views: 2502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is approximately what the vet told me when we made Penelope's spay appointment for August. It was like $273, it includes the procedure, blood work, anesthesiology, ECG monitoring, pain medication, hospitalization, essentially what you have said was included with yours.
The vet has been reasonable on all other pricing so far, and they are the most thorough vets I've dealt with.
As most of the vets I have talked to based their charges roughly on weight, this seems very high! I spoke to a vet who wanted $140 and I thought this was way too much. In Florida, they have a lot of low-cost programs. You might look into those. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to a university vet clinic as long as I checked it out and felt comfortable with the people who were there. Between $70 and $100 is average for the vets I checked.
Try calling your local human society. When I called they recommended me places that weren't so expensive. I still ended up paying around $200 though.
The range is price is huge.....in our area it would not be unusual to play the fee you mentioned. It does pay to shop around a bit. Some areas do have spay/neuter clinics that do the procedure at a much reduced fee. Do your homework though.....some are far better then others.
I just made an appointment for Bailey @ our local Pennisula Humane Society and it will be $80 (would be $65 before July 1st, but they are raising their prices - Bailey won't be 6mos until 7/21 and their first appt date is 8/15, were going for 8/15 - which works perfectly!). It's a donor supported clinic about 20 miles away. That's without the lab work. I called around a few places. San Francisco's SPCA chargess $240 flat based on weight (their clinic or hospital).
Update: Bailey was neutered on 08/15/08 for $80.00 - plus another $13 for the cone at the local Humane Society. He was mopey the first night, but did not need any pain meds after the next day (he was hop skipping and jumping the next morning.. Hahah). I am so glad it went so well, but I can see why someone would want to pay to get the bloodwork, extra pain meds, etc. Especially for spaying -since its that more invasive.. Ouch!

And, the extra bloodwork would only have run i think an extra $60. so if anyones in the San Francisco Bay ARea... .. oh plus the PHS netueres pit bulls and pit bull mixes for FREE and will give you an bonus $10 cash for fixing them.
I paid $140 for Blaze's surgery here in Indiana. He didn't come home with any pain meds, but didn't seem to need them - he was back to normal the next day!! I think that we also had a puppy tooth pulled and his nails trimmed as well. . .I love my vet - he is SO good and inexpensive!! (and 2 streets away!!)
I had Max spayed in May and the vet bill was $300. I thought it was a little high but that included the blood work and the pain meds also. I have a friend who took her dog to the Humane Society and they charge by weight.
My vet had quoted $380 and I was floored by that! They said they would not do any surgery without running bloodwork first. Ginny is a very healthy young dog, so I didn't see why the bloodwork would be necessary. I was referred to a different vet by a friend and got it done for under $130. AND that included the pain meds too. They did a fine job, the incision was small and neatly sutured and she was a little lethargic the first few days but bounced back quickly. I think the first vet gouges the prices because he's located in a high-income neighborhood. I'm sure a lot of people don't question the high price.
If you dont mind me chimen in.
It cost me $400 to get my little guy done
Are vet is a very high end clinic they even have a dog bone shaped swimming pool for the dogs to play in.
I just had my 5 month old corgi spayed and it was 325.00 because they used a laser. The time to heal was much quicker and she was much happier than when I had my prior corgis done.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service