Ok. Here's the story. This past weekend me and Bailey do what we always do - go have fun! Well this past weekend, we went to Fort Funston (its doggie heaven for city dogs) - lots of offleash grassy and full-of-trees space away from traffic and even a trail down to the beach for some fun in the water. Well.. We were walking along the route, Bailey stopped to play with a couple puppies in the sand, and I hollered "come on lets go" and he ran right over to me like the cutest thing ever. Anyways, as we were walking back to the parking lot later, A woman and her two scottish terriers were walking in the opposite direction. Bailey was lagging a bit, so I said "come on!" and he started trotting forward. Right when we are about to pass the lady with the two terriers, she murmurs "here comes trouble".

Well, my question is - I know she was directing it to us because it was clearly obvious. I did not say anything… and it hurt! Who would think a corgi is MEAN?? I mean his sweet face and all - but not to agree with the terrier-woman, but I have to say that this isn't the first time. We went to another dog park on another weekend and they're shocked Bailey is so nice, sweet, brave and playful. They perceive corgi's to be aggressive (this particular lady had a golden retriever). Everyone (who doesn't own a corgi and knows about the breed) seems to think corgi's are malicious mean barky animals that cause trouble.

Just wondering if anyone else has run across this situation.. Or are these just more or less two isolated cases?

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sad to say Karen, but corgis sometimes have a bad rap, due to poor socialization and occassional dog on dog aggression. Also, annoying to a lot of other dog owners is their herding of other dogs at a dog park. I know that Bailey doesn't have those issues, but many do and Bailey is being labeled because of his breed and instincts. Perhaps the more people come to know him the better it will be for all corgis. I worked with Timmy on a solid recall during distractions so that if I saw him starting to herd other dogs in our playgroup, I would call him back and have him in a time out with me, until he calmed down. It's hard working against instincts, but I'm relieved that the number of herding demonstrations has diminished drastically.

I would consider the compliments as proof and reward for your dilligent work in socializing him and the considerable efforts you put in every day towards making him a responsible community member.
I'm glad you said that. I find good call back is one of the things that really impress people at the dog park! That way you can keep your puppy from annoying people who are going in/out of the park (I know they just want to keep them in the herd, right?).
We get compliments for that... I know it annoys me when we try to go into the park and everyone's dog is in our way and nobody is calling their dogs! drives me nuts! I've carried her in a couple times.
=*) Thanks Sylvia! Bailey says Hi and thanks to Uncle Timmy. *high five*
The funny thing is, I've heard this before. When I say Corgi to people who know about dogs (?) they say "Oh, Corgis nip."
On the other hand, I havent heard anything like that from people at parks. Most people who SEE my puppy say "Wow! I've heard of corgis but I've never seen one before!"
Keep being a good representative of corgis. Whoever these trouble corgi owners are, we'll outpopulate them soon.
No one could say anything about Charlie that would phase me after owning a rottweiler for the previous 10 years and having people cross the street when I had him out for a walk on leash, give me dirty looks, or mention to someone that I had a rottie to get the reply "You own a baby killer." No I didn't. He got his CGC at 9 months and went through advanced obedience. He was a good dog. I'm hardened to any words from strangers about my choice of dogs. LOL

My neighbor, the vet tech didn't like Corgis because they have two customers at the clinic with Corgis who apparently don't like vets. I don't know if the dogs are bad, or just bad at the "doctor's office". His opinion was based on only a few dogs, and he has changed his mind about Corgis in general since he's known Charlie. In fact, Charlie and I are often invited over for play dates with their 5 dogs (3 Pomeranians, 1 medium "black dog" and 1 rottweiler).

Overall, Charlie gets a happy greeting from most people when we're out walking, and many great compliments plus lots of pats and sometimes hugs! He loves that.

It was rude for the woman to make the comment, but I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Like Sarah said, we good Corgi owners can get out there and change people's minds. :)
Rottweilers being known as "baby killers?" This simply is NOT TRUE. In fact there is a children's book series that has a rottweiler as a baby-sitter. Even more he is based after a real life rott'. Who just so happens to be the author's certified therapy dog.

I am so tired of dogs and their owners getting a bad rap because of a few bad apples. It seems that no matter what the breed someone always will have something negative to say about them. We all have our breeds that we like and dislike, for what ever reasons. Does this give us the right to go around bad mouthing the breeds we dislike? No. Especially not around or in front of an owner of that breed.

I'd take every chance to show up these people by showing how well behaved MY dog is. Let them be ignorant in their assumptions, and do what you do best. Being a good dog parent to your corgis.
Good Dog Carl a great children's book and very funny.
Yes! That is the book! It is so cute.
i actually had a rott who WAS my baby sitter when i was little! it was a friend's dog and we were keeping it for awhile (about 3 months) and i swear sheba took to me like a fish to water (i was 4 and she was GIANT compared to me!). she took care of me (made sure i didn't go outside to the pool, ran and sat in front of me before i ran into something, let me sleep on her). i cannot even rave enough about her she was so good to me. not that my mother wasn't lol it was just funny to watch this MASSIVE rott take care of mama and me...

my most vivid memory of her is when my mom was sick and laying on the couch watching something boring, and sheba just sat with me and i played pretty pretty princess with her. well more like ON her... i put earrings (clip-on) on her, necklaces, even the tiara! she just sat there and let me so whatever... she was amazing with me and i was sad when her owners moved.

but now i have my little bear!!! who is asleep on the ground with the ball still in his mouth he's so tired from playing fetch... i've often thought of getting a rott myself but my little handful and a rott? whew, what a pair that would be...

sorry for the rant, lol! i loved my sheba!
My sister owns a rottie and she is also the sweetest thing, she kept to herself unless someone came up to her to see her (which never happens) I would take her and my nephew to the park to get some fresh air and people would also cross the street to avoid her. She was a gentle giant and very obedient.

And my poor vet had troubles with my old beagle. She HATED the vet clinic. She was the sweetest thing and loved people but the second we pulled up to the vets office she freaked. She even tried to bite the vet. After that we put a mussel on her when we went. My vet knew her from when she was a pup and it was not until she was 3 did she freak out. The hardest part was bringing her to the vet to put her down because she was so scared. (She had lymphosarcoma and it progressed so bad and fast we knew officially for 2 weeks before we had to put her down.)
Now when Callie goes to the vet she wants to play with everyone there. People are always asking me what she is and when I reply Corgi they tell me she can't be because she is so small (She is 3 months and 8 pounds... she was the runt of small parents)

I agree that it's really up to the owners to try and train the dogs to be a good member of society. In over a month Callie will be old enough to go to the dog park and I am going to make sure that she behaves herself.
Karen, our breeder told us (when we got Truffle) that in the past, Corgis were not a friendly breed as they were bred and trained to work and nip at cattles but since more and more corgis have become family pets, breeders are trying to 'correct' this by looking to breed only from corgis with sound and friendly temperament.
We had a walk in the park the other day and lots of children came by to pet Truffle & Bailey. Their parents were also quite surprise to find corgis so friendly.
Also the other day at dog beach, I also got 'surprise' comment about corgis being so playful and friendly.
so you're not alone!!! :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service