Gosh, I keep seeing this intelligence ranking being pushed on the web:
http://www.petrix.com/dogint/1-10.html, again and again...

and the corgi is ranked 11 in the list. I wonder if there is any truth in it. Cause I strongly believe that corgis are a LOT smarter than Rottweilers or Poodles.... They are very lovable, extremely protective, exceptionally loyal, and easy to train like no other dogs... It's not like I have any prejudice against other dogs ;).

Can anyone offer any other reputable source of dog intelligence ranking? I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Al
("Crazy about my corgi")

Views: 7115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We used to have a dog who we were told was a Miniature Schnauzer/Australian Cattle Dog/Border Collie. He was the smartest animal I ever knew. I have heard about Border Collies being the smartest breed.

I don't yet own a Pembroke, so I don't know how smart they really are. I've heard that they're pretty intelligent, though. Either way, just because a dog doesn't listen as well, does that really mean he's not as smart? Just something I was thinking about.

And I really don't think Golden Retrievers are smarter than Corgis.
I have been told that a Corgi has the intelligence of a 5 year old person. I have owned a lot of different dogs through the years and have never found one as smart as a Corgi. My wife, having grown up with many Corgis, always said that are very smart and would surprise anyone. After our first Corgi I was amazed at how smart they really are and will never be without one again.

We also own a 5 year Golden Retriever that we are always joking that she is as “dumb as a door nail”. Golden’s are very beautiful and lovable dog’s but no where as smart as the Corgi.
It's true that Corgis are like 5 year old. Also, it's true that they are highly intelligent. If you browse the internet or read up on books on dogs, they will tell you this. I'm currantly owning my 3rd. Corgi. My family and I share the same sentiment ~ once you own a Corgi, no other breeds will do. I've adored Corgis ever since I had my 1st. one at the age of 9. The sight of Corgis warm my heart and a Corgi's smile is priceless. ;o)
We had a Border Collie and he was very smart, however I would say that both of our Corgis are just as intellegent if not even a little more. And I agree about Goldens... beautiful, well mannered dogs, but nearly as smart!
Golden Retrievers are always falling all over themselves to get attention. Or at least the ones I've known. There was one I dogsat that drank so much water at one time that he'd get sick. So there is no way Goldens are smarter than Pembrokes.
Wow, Troy was incredible!
After we had Taffy for about a year when I was watching the herding group at Westminster (just to watch Corgis, of course!!) You know those yellow boxes without tops with the breed name written on the side??? Well, the Pembroke walked right up and then jumped in the box! The handler looked like she was going to die. We were laughing so hard, we had tears coming down our faces. So now if Taffy is ever "too intelligent" for her own good we always say that the top Corgi in the country chose not to follow handler instructions, what chance do we have? :)
I would think that, if a dog gets bored easily, he could be more intelligent. It's easier for a genius to get bored that a dummy.
So true!
"Obey First Command: 95% of the time or better."

This is where Ein would fail the "intelligence test" because he's too darn stubborn for his own good. He knows just well what you're saying. And he'll listen if he wants to. I think that stubborn streak may have alot to do with why the corgi didn't rank higher. Some people don't seem to realize (or care) that just because the dog doesn't listen doesn't mean he can't understand. A dog that has the intelligence to choose when to listen and when not to is usually brighter than a dog who listens because he can't make a decision for himself. (Thinking about the fact that corgis were great herders because they had the decision making capabilities that they do.)

Ein is one of the brightest dogs that I've ever met. I once told him, while at "grandpa's" house, that I would take him for a walk after I went potty. He ran through the house, into the half bath and stood and waited for me by the toiled. Don't ask me how he understand the difference between me needing to potty and me asking him if he needed to potty.

My collie has learned through association that when you touch the touch lamp, it turns on. She likes to sleep in the spare room so that she can spread out on the bed. Almost every night, she goes in, turns on the lamp and goes to bed. If you go in and turn the light out, before you can finish walking out the door, she's gotten up to turn it back on. My girlie has learned how to turn on her own night light, but she's still a "puppy" at two years old and has the attention span of a flea, so good luck getting her to follow a command.

Which one of our three is the best at following directions? Tucker, the lab/pit/hound mix. If he understands what we're asking. His entire life is all about "love me love me love me. I'll do anything you say because I want to make you happy so that you'll pet me and love on me." and yet, he can't upwrap himself from around a tree like the others can and he'll sit there with a blank look on his face and wag his tail at 75% of what you say because he has no clue what you're talking about. By far, he is the least intelligent.

Potty time:
You tell Tucker to come inside and he will, even if he's not finished going and a little while later, you'll be right back out there. You tell Ein to go inside and he'll pull against you with all his might and refuse to go inside willingly if he still needs to go #2. Colleen does the same thing. If she's wasting time screwing around, tell her to go inside. If she has to go #2, she'll immediately start walking around for a place to go and if you force her to go inside, she'll be begging to go out again within an hour. If she follows you willingly, she doesn't have to go #2 and won't ask you to take her back out for a long time.

So who's smarter? The dog who listened and did what he was told? Or the dog who has the ability to decide that he can't go inside yet, because he isn't done using the bathroom?

So yeah, intelligence and willingness to obey are not necessarily related.
corgis are extremely smart, obedience trials do not determine intelligence and doing something repetitively does not indicate how smart the dog is. The corgi has a high intelligence and need for stimulation, being as smart as they are they would naturally get bored and look for something new to do. There is no way I believe a Rotweiler is smarter than a corgi....my corgi can learn a trick in 20 minutes.
I believe the 20 min thing. Roxi learned bang-bang within an afternoon outside after tiring her out with the Frisbee. Most of the stuff she learned in a day except shake... *scratches head* which took a week or two lol.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service