Fergie has been on Prednisone for three days for her back injury. She is doing fabulous and shows no signs of injury at this time. I'm not sure if this is a side effect of the Prednisone or if there is another cause, but she has the worst gas ever! We are not talking about a little toot now and then, but whole house permeating odiferous flatulence. There has been no recent changes to her diet and the only cause I can come up with is the Prednisone. Our dogs will get gassy if they find an errant duck egg in the yard and have a snack, but we are blanketed in snow and I don't think the ducks have laid eggs since late summer. Is there anyone out there who has had a dog on Prednisone and experience a similar stinky side effect?

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds familiar. She has three more days on Prednisone--we are at the weaning off stage. I hope the gas goes away when the pills are gone. I am going to start transitioning her food tomorrow as well. Maybe that will help. Thanks for the input.
Some of the side effects of Prednisone are: black stools, bone pain (fracture), "coffee-ground" vomit, easy bruising/bleeding, heartburn, increased thirst and urination, irregular/fast/pounding heartbeat, mental/mood changes, muscle weakness/pain, persistent weight gain, puffy face, seizures, signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat), slow-healing wounds, stomach/abdominal pain, swelling of the feet/ankles, thinning skin, trouble breathing, unusual hair growth, unusual skin growths, vision changes.

But no "gas" :)
Dang...I was hoping this was the easy answer. None of the aforementioned side effects other than increased thirst and urination. She is a little "depressed" , but that seems more because we won't let her run, jump,wrestle and do all the things that make a Corgi happy. She is soaking up the extra attention! Thankfully she won't be on the drug much longer. The gas problem came at the same time she started on the drug. Hopefully this is a time limited issue. Maybe related to diet. I always appreciate your knowledgeable input!
Kristen, My first Corgi was on prednisone and the biggest side effect I noticed was thirst and resulting urination. She even broke her house training several times and was totally embarassed, poor bunny. People often have the same side effect. The gas may be related, but didn't you also say that you were changing her from her puppy food? If you've introduced a new food, that might be the culprit. Glad to hear that she is doing so much better!
Thirst and having to Pee is definately the one listed side affect she has. I just started the food transition this morning, so that wasn't it. Maybe the new food will eliminate the lovely odor she is emitting. Last night was particularly stinky. Only one more day on the medication. We are letting her be a bit more active, although no stairs allowed for a little while. It has been hard keeping her quiet. I wonder if the inactivity is contributing to the gas. It could be a combination of things.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service