Anyone out there an animal behaviorist?? In another forum "dogster" the discussion came up about FRAP ing and whether or not it is instinctual in herding breeds. It's so common among corgis I thought I'd ask you all.

FRAP (Frantic or frenzied acts of random play) are when the corgi does the figure eights around the furniture or bushes outside, ears laid back and seemingly possessed. There are very tight turns, full out running, turning in one direction several times, stopping and then doing several laps in the opposite direction.

When I was doing research on the breed, everyone spoke of it and every corgi owner I know, said their puppies did it. Timmy still does it to this day, but some others have stopped as they grew older. Anyway, wondering if anyone knows if this is part of a play behavior, sign of stress (I have my doubts), or just another way of getting attention? Does anyone know if this behavior has ever been seen in wild canids? References to articles or body of knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks

Views: 2663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, Pulik frap- like the wild Hungarians they are.... They also like to climb and jump- mostly jump. Pulik aka ragmop on springs. I got Jinksy when mom's Puli was 5 years old- she certainly frapped with him- but it was more of a taunt. "You have short legs- I do not- I can jump on the bed- you cannot- hahahahahahahahahaha."What I never got a picture of (and wish I had) was Jinksy running under Chiffon and through her dreads like a beaded curtain. Later on Chiffon (Puli) mimicked a behavior which we did to her when she was younger. She would get into monster frap sessions running laps around the dining table and barking the way only a Puli can bark (the difference between Corgi and Puli frap is the level of noise). We would stand and just tap a toe as she raced past. A friend of mine actually made a habit of reading the paper and toe tapping to the Puli frap. When Chiffon got older and Jinksy still wanted to frap she would stand in one spot on his figure 8 path and as he passed- she gave one bark- like counting laps. I never saw her reading the paper while doing this but I wasn't watching the whole time.

Now with Duffman and the Puli hellboyz it's the younger Puli brothers who get into frap mode and Duffy who chases them and then spins to do a little "chest bump" which then turns into a boxing match and finally into "Oh just roll over and let me pull out your dreads...."
I never knew this was a common behavior in corgis. Autumn is my first corgi. I always called it "crack laps". Could this breed get any cuter?? Sheesh!
Kara never ever seems stressed or upset when she is frapping. In fact any time she is stressed she usually does just the opposite and goes into her crate. When she fraps she is as happy as a clam. I love it. You can feel the joy radiate off her as she races past you, LOL. I think she is both happy and enjoying the attention she gets from all of us laughing and joining in. I hope she doesn;t stop as she gets older, maybe slows to protect the hips, ha ha.
I think that the full moon might have finally gotten to my two. 5:15 am one week ago the overwhelming urge to frap came over them and they went with it......an early morning record around our house.
Our dogs are not living the lives they are intended for initially. All mine have done this and usually occurs when the weather is yucky and they can't get out to run and play. Its stored up energy from being penned up. Pups will do it more often and readily and as they get older and more civilized it happens rarely depending on the type of Corgi you have. I have had Akitas, Chows, Boxers, Dobermans, Rotties, and etc. and they have all done this one time or another. They feel good and full of it.
"Hello. My name is Lola, I'm a 2 year old Corgi...and (pause for dramatic effect) I'm a Frapper."

Lola has always been a Frapper...it's like genetically hard wired in her. She had slowed down her frapping for a few months but then we got Roscoe (a Jagdterrier pup) like 3 months ago and now her daily frapping is back on the rise. I guess she is what you would call a "social frapper" these days...old habits die hard.
chloe still does it all the time. most of the time it is when we are playing but occasionally she will just randomly do it right about bed time.
my parents dogs all did it when they were younger, bandit the border collie outgrew it and shiloh the german shepard mix would still do it if he were physically able...he's just too old to move like that anymore.
I've seen Freya do this a few times so far--generally when I dunk her in the tub, which is the only time I ever see our Weim frap. Now, my mom's Chihuahua did this for a very long time until maybe the last 5 years? (She's about 15 years old right now) Her 5 month old chihuahua/pug still does this and her half sister used to do this too (but now she is grossly obese so I'm amazed that she's remotely active.)

Eh, but I do love the frapping! I was about to ask what t his meant but now i know!
Colby does this a few times a day. We are in an apartment, and he runs around the coffee table, into our bedroom, and then back around the table.... several times per 'FRAP'. We had no idea there was a name for this. My wife just calls it 'The Colby 500' because he races around our place at an alarming speed! :-)
Coby does FRAPPING all the time ^0^;;; so funny! ^^
Hmm now that I think about it I pretty sure my Jack Russel would FRAP a lot, especially after baths! My family just thought she was crazy...well now when I get a corgi I'll know this is normal.
Both of my corgis have been "frappers". Scout does the "picking up the toy thing" when he is doing the figure eights, and will actually pick up anything that is on the floor to run with! He does the frapping most when we have been away, and he has been out in the yard by himself. Seems like this is his greeting to us, an expression of joy that we are back!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service