How cuddly/snuggly is your corgi and what's normal?

My 6-month old corgi is not cuddly or snuggly at all! I wonder if it's because I got her when she was almost 5 months old. Will she become more cuddly as she gets older? I've never been harsh with her, never punish her, I always play with her a lot, praise her, etc.

Also, she always seems more excited to see other people than she is to see me. When I come home and let her out of her kennel, she doesn't really seem excited to see me. There's no wiggle butt, no jumping, no whinning noises...just a "oh, you're here..now feed me " kind of deal. I sometimes think she gets peeved because I put her in her kennel when I have to go to work. However, when we go outside, she loves on other people. When she sees my neighbors, she races off to them...as though I'm the wicked stepmother who's been beating her. I literally let go of the leash when she sees them because she'll pull so hard on the leash otherwise. Sigh...makes me a little jealous.

Views: 6254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's not really a "normal". Each dog will have an individual personality, with some more snuggly and some more independent. You can help mold your dog's personality at 6 months but not basically change it. If you want your dog to be more snuggly, then simply pet her more or pick her up and put her on the couch with you while you watch TV. Give her treats for being petted, belly rubbed, or sitting with you. She may not ever be one to come up looking to snuggle, but she can learn to let you snuggle her when you want to. At her age, she might decide she enjoys it once she's conditioned to more petting. Charlie naps on my lap for a couple hours before bed every evening while I watch TV. I don't think it was natural for him six months ago when I got him, but after a couple months of picking him up and putting him in my lap in the evening, "snuggling" has just become part of our daily routine. He seems to like it now, but I definitely conditioned him to let me hold him, hug him, play with his feet, rub his belly, kiss his forehead, etc.

Liking other people does seem to be true of the majority of Corgis who appear to have "never met a stranger". That's a good thing, but you might want to control the meeting more instead of dropping the leash and letting her run to people. I've spent several months working on leash training so that Charlie doesn't go lunging at other people out walking, or joggers, mom's with strollers, people working in their yards...essentially anybody. He is not allowed to pull. Period. When people ask if they can pet him, I tell them "Yes. As long as he sits or stands and does not jump on you." Interesting how many people don't mind him jumping on them, but I do mind, so he's not allowed. I always thank people for petting him when he'll sit still, since that helps greatly with his manners and socialization.
The answer to this question may well be in how she lived her life the five months before you got her. Did she come from a pet shop? Was she raised in a kennel? A barn? Many dogs that are raised in this situation are not used to much more human contact then when it is feeding time. Their only interactions are when they have visitors.
Some dogs are naturally more snuggly then others. At this young age they are very flexible and do bond well if you do your homework. Plan special outings with just you and her. Take walks, take an obedience class, play ball, play hide and seek. Spend her meal time with her. Tie her to you in the home and bring her along with everything you do. If the weather is conducive take her for car rides, walks in new places. Have treats and toys ready to reward her for looking at you.
The best relationships with dogs are built by the owner. You will be amazed at how well she will respond when she learns that being with you brings her many good things.
Bunni was not snuggly at all. That's the last thing she was. She always wanted to bite and bark at everything. We could barely hold her too long without getting nipped at, she loved tummy scratches though. She was so independent up until about 4-6 months. That's when she started calming down and getting dependent on us. She's calmed down a lot after her she turned 1. now she loves snuggling especially in the morning. Even though she was an irresistibly cute puppy, there was no way we could snuggle with her and her sharp puppy teeth.
It might have something to do with the time of day or the puppy's amount of tiredness.

I know Rolo is a bundle of energy and rarely likes to be petted when he's being rambunctious. It's also a good time to get nipped, bumped and bruised if you try to cuddle him when he's so spastic. Not because he's being mean or not listening... just he's.... Jumpy!

I found the best snuggle time with him is after he's had a long run (and is exhausted) or late at night after the last potty trip outside. When he's calmed down and tired, he gets really snuggly.
Hi Ducky,

Triley has always been a snuggle-bug - that is why we picked him! Once we got home, like Charlie, we would often pick him up and put him in our laps, but when he was a young pup he was much more inclined to jumping, biting and playing about. Now he's gotten so used to being in our laps (and that this is "relax time" not "play time.") that he just climbs into my lamp when I sit down on the couch. Also, now that he is a bit older (almost 1 year old!), he's calmed down a bunch and likes to just sit with us. He's also had a number of health issues (tummy problems, skin problems, ear problems, joint problems) and so he's been very vulnerable around us and learned that we are helping and that he can trust us. I would also recommend spending lots of time with him. We would snuggle with him when he was very tired (as pups often are!) and so he got used to being close to us. Let him know that you are there to give more than just food.

Also, try to be a source of security. Even though he's lived in the city for almost 8 months, Triley still sometimes gets scared by beeping cars, sirens and other unexpected noises. Whenver he got scared as a pup we would come over and pet him and say soothing things, so he knew we were there to protect him. To this day, when something scares him he barks and then runs to us. When we go on walks he is always excited to go to new places and meet new people, but occasionally he will turn around, see that I am there, and then run back to me as fast and excitedly as possible (as if to say "oh you are still there! I was so excited that I forgot about you, but here you are! I got scared that I was alone!")

Finally (and this may not be a good idea, because it can cause seperation anxiety, which Triley does have a problem with) you could try being really, really excited to see them when you get home. We were always so excited to get home to Triley that we made the biggest deal out of it - lots of hugs and kisses and scratches and playing around. Now, clearly the highlight of the day for Triley is when one of us gets home - he gets SO SO excited, because we made it exciting. (On the flip side, he whines at the door when one of us leaves and rips up blankets when we both go, because he is so distressed - so, as I said, this may end up doing more harm than good...)
Miles used to hate being snuzzled and loved on but now he's just turned 4 and is just a big snuggle hound. He and I will spoon and fall asleep and he'll come over and burrow under your arm to get to your hand just so you'll pet him.

I think as she gets older she'll probably have more time for love haha now she's probably just enjoying being an on the go puppy.
I know with Rolo, his attention span is wayyyyy too short to waste time on snugglin' when he's wound up for play.

"Hugs... ok...wait...what's that? A BUTTERFLY.... " :: zoom::
Happy Spring Sunday!
I have had Court about 1 month now...he is a rescue, found shot...he's healed well,...
I have learned that the more I sit near him and very gently put my hand out, then
let him come to me, the more he comes to me, and then I can take another step,
like petting him; now he often offers his belly...
something a dog-owner friend suggested to me was to try to hold him like a baby,
even if for a few moments...for me Court started to calm down more and more when
I held him like when one burps a baby: with his head over my shoulder. I can walk
slowly around the room with him, then I let him down very gently..
I also put him belly side up, very very slowly , in my lap, wait a short bit,
then gently rub his chest...more and more he wants and likes the attention...
his fear helps me to realize my fear: I love him and my heart is opening
because he is so sweet...
I can't imagine anyone shooting a dog... well... unless it was huge and attacking them or something... but a Corgi?? What kind of heartless person does that to these smileyfaced little clowns??

I can't even get Rolo to roll over and offer his belly for scratching and he didn't have none of the trauma Court must have had. Odd. A dog named Rolo...that won't... (shrug)

I'm glad Court is doing better and that he's found you. Sounds like he has a very patient and understanding owner now. Our Sadie is a rescue, too. Gaining a rescue's trust is something very special indeed.
Thank you for rescuing Court!
Yeah, it can be tough when you wonder if your pup is going to bond with you the way you'd like her to. I've had a 2 year old rescue for 6 months. She is friendly, but doesn't seem that much attached. I got some great advice from a lady in Oklahoma who I'm getting my second rescue corgi from. We had a long talk when I applied for the dog. She's rescued hundreds of dogs and I could tell she knows her way around them. I told her I have "Tucky time" in the evenings where I watch tv and make sure I'm available to pet and play with Tuck. She told me to do a couple of things to help with the bonding. First, she said to just put my hand on Tuck when she's laying next to me. It has a different effect than petting her. It's like when packs lay down together. It just reminds her that I'm there. Second, she told me to have a quiet talk with Tuck every so often- to tell her that I'm there for her and that I'm going to take care of her.
I've been doing these two things for a couple of weeks now, and I swear that Tuck is getting it. No, I don't actually believe that Tuck understands the words I tell her; nor do I think Tuck mistakes me for a corgi. But--she's obeying commands better. Just yesterday I was noticing how much more she pays attention to me when she's on the leash. She's checking more often to see where I am (I walk her with one of those retractable leashes, so she can get up to 15 feet away from me.) And she seems to be more sure of herself around the house.
I don't know if these two things will help; but I swear they're making an improvement with Tuck.
Best of luck with your pup!
Well I know that each Corgi has a different personality but my Zephyr is very cuddly. I spend a lot of time on the floor with her though and she's still young, 4 months, so those might be factors. She loves to sit on my lap and sleep on me while I'm on the couch. Zep loves strangers too. I think most Corgis love to see new people because they are attention hounds (lol). She so funny, she gets jealous of the cats when they jump in my lap and Zep tries to take over.

I think the key is not to force it. If she doesn't want to cuddle don't force her to. If she comes to you tell her she's a good girl and pet her. See if she's open to being put on your lap and be petted. Only do it for as long as she seems comfortable. If you keep doing that she might see that it's a good thing and come back for more.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service