both of my dogs eat the same food, same amount, similar activity level. My male corgi is slim and fit, however my female corgi is having the hardest time to lose weight. Our Vet recommended us to feed her twice with half a cup each, hopefully that will stimulate her metabolism.

Does your corgi need to lose weight? any tips to share?

Views: 10244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
I monitor my Corgi's food. Slightly more than 1 cup of holistic kibble (lamb & apples). Sometimes I add vegetables like carrots, peas, cabbage etc. We trained him to eat fruit too like bananas, apples, mangoes, dried apricots etc. This is what he eats in the evenings. In the mornings, I feed him oatmeal and 1/2 teaspoon of manuka honey. He loves yoghurt too. Occassionally, we give him some ice-cream (2 tablespoon).
The nice part about veggies and fruit, is that they are nonfattening (or at least not as fattening) treats. So more to chew on and less fat. Ruby won't eat them, but then she doesn't like much, she's not big on eating, unlike Macsen
kaley corgi gets fed twice daily, 8 in the morn, 8 in the pm...she gets bout 1/4 cup kibble, bil- jac, and bout 2 tbls of pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie mix, but the canned pumpkin, and she gets fresh stuff in the day time, like banana, apple, carrot, and her regular treats (she does tricks for her treats!)

i get my first bite! (3 of 7)

smiles : )
My boys are on a restricted diet as well. Cooper and Norton both get 1/2 cup of kibble in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. They get carrots for treats, and apple slices, and frozen green beans occasionally. Norton is a big boy, all muscle (he's almost the same size as a cardi) and probably weighs 31 pounds, Cooper is a tiny guy and he weighs 28 pounds. They get lots of exercize both at the dog park and in the backyard wrestling and chasing each other. I was surprised to go to a corgi meetup last weekend and not see that many obese corgis! Just a few chunky ones.

And why i feed them twice a day is because Norton vomits when he doesn't eat twice a day. Either stomach acid or kibble if he eats too fast. I feed Innova, not the Evo, and both boys do faboo on it.
a way to get him to loos weight is to walk him every day and if there are othe dogs around him let them play
I've never heard that corgi's take up to two years, thats an interesting fact Im going to look into :) Maybe my little one still has some growing to do lol!
okie dokie. Bailey is 13 weeks and weighs 12 lbs (ok wouldn't it have been nice to say 13weeks 13 lbs.. ok anyways)... im feeding him kibble 1/2 cup three times a day - makes it a 1 1/2 cups a day (the darn bag told us to feed him 2 1/4 cups a day!!!!!!! =O ). When should i (according to your opinion) switch to the twice a day feeding? He's not going to be doing anything super active like agility. also hes a pemmy and he's male. also - do you think he's on the right track to becoming the ideal weight for a male pemmy - or is it too early to tell?
yea the bag told us something like that too. Its crazy! When I learned how much we were over feeding Roxi I was amazed.
We just had a BBQ last Fri and some of the guys were saying that they've never seen a skinny corgi before. Every single one they've met were big pot bellies that just waddled everywhere. Thought that all corgis were just like that. I told them that it was really sad to hear that and yes it was a huge problem in the breed (but mostly the owners ;) ).

Thought this was something interesting to toss out. Anyone with trim Corgi's have a similar reaction?
Yes! My neighbor who adopted a terrier-mix around Christmas has been walking and going to parks with Charlie and me the last month. She asked, "Why is every Corgi we've seen, except for Charlie, fat? Are their dogs not pure-bred?" (LOL) I said, "Because people put too many calories in their Corgi's mouth and don't burn off enough calories with exercise."

I've also had several people tell me, "Gee! I have a Corgi at home. I wish he looked like yours. Your dog is lean and muscular. My dog is fat." (Hmmm....)
Im so glad Im not the only one! "justbiteyourtonguejustbiteyourtonguejustbiteyourtongue."
Timmy is a slim, fit and very active guy. He's fed 2/3 cup AM and PM. Gets two workouts a day chasing the ball till he drops followed by 30-45 minute walk to cool things down. He's never had a weight issue except when I had to limit his activity for an 8 month period during his panosteoitis and subsequent recovery. Because of his high activity level he eats the no grain, high protein foods along with supplements like SG Sea Meal, Salmon Oil, Vit's E&C, joint maintenance minerals and digestive enzymes. Seems like I'm spending more time fixing his dinner than mine!! (I think mine smells better though!)

I would say that their metabolisms might be different and that your females might be slower, hence an increase in exercise or lowering of her food ration would probably work. After all, it's similiar with us. Males will lose weight faster than females, so we just blame it on hormones!!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service