I love pems, but just curious why you picked (or were picked by) a cardigan?? I did my research and found out that cardigans were more laid back - HAHAHA!! But I don't regret my decision, though it is frustrating when people STILL ask what mix he is!!

Views: 332

Replies to This Discussion

Australian Cattle Dog??
Malibu is my wife's first dog. I grew up with Newfoundland and the show arena. I always loved the corgis and wanted one. When my wife was finally ready we started to research and found that the cardigan was the one for us and our family. We started out looking for a blue merle and was on a list that feel through and was sent to a breeder on the east coast but was unable to make the trip and they wouldn't ship. So we keep our ears up and one day my sister was on puppyfind.com and showed my wife some cardi's that were close to were we lived. I contacted the breeder and went for a visit. Just my luck the puppies were 8 weeks that day. We had gone to look at a blue but once we played with the puppies and our little Malibu was the one. I was hoping to look and come back in a week but as you know I went home with her that day. We are looking to get our next one soon but we are sure of a blue boy. That's our story and we love every minute with her. She is laid back but will go to town at the dog park with other dogs. She has done her herding instincts which was wonderful. Looking to do more of that. We also are starting with agility. My wife would like to some companion with her to. A lot of plans and Malibu will do whatever we ask. She is the world's most loyal dog.
Just an update we got our second Cardigan and yes he is a blue. We are so pleased with him and if I had a bigger place we would upgrade or foster.
I agree! I work at petsmart and bring my cardigan with me daily. I've only had a handful of people actually know what kind of dog he was. Most of the time i hear people say "look how cute! its a corgi mix!". haha
I picked a Cardi because I loved the tails and bigger ears. When I saw Phog I fell in love with her on the spot. Phog is a Blue Merle so a lot of people think she is a Blue Heeler when we are at the dog park.
We chose a Corgi based on some survey to help determine which breed would be best for you. We chose a CARDI because our dog had to have a tail...how else would we know she was happy?? :-) And she is...
My Cardi picked me in a way. As part of my therapy for depression, we decided it was time to add a pooch to the family, so I ran to google to look n see if there were any Corgis to adopt, but there were none in my area at the time.
I looked through the local SPCA shelters site and found terrier I fell in love with. Last week, I went down to take a look see at who was still looking for a home and there was this Cardi in one of the runs, he spooked lil one because he was up on the fence and looked like a BIG dog to her, and then this morning when I was finally ready to go bring someone home, he was the only one of the original dogs that I considered from the trip before. It was meant to be, Ein is the Corgi for me..

Carpe Canim - Seize the Dog!
I heard that the Cardis retain their puppyhood forever - they just seem to love life and don't get too stressed out, so THAT and the fact that they have the tail, was what began my research. I have NO regrets!!
In my case it was a sort of historical snobbery. When I read up on the breed, the Pembrokes had definite influences from the Flemish immigrants, but the Cardigan's origins were 'lost in the mists of time'. It took quite a while before I found an available Vestavia puppy, but Medeni was the most astonishing dog, and now I just can't be without a Cardi.

(I made up for lost time - now I have two and a half!)
Because they are the sweetest, most beautiful dogs ever!
We knew we wanted a Corgi. I love the personality of herding dogs as well as their intelligence and the appearance of the Corgi (short legs and big foxy ears) drew me in. We did a lot of research on both types of Corgis and decided the Cardigan would be better for us because they are more laid back and would do well in an apartment, plus we decided we really loved the blue merle coloring. We would consider adding a Pem somewhere down the road when we have more room, but I must say, I truly do love the Cardis. :)
Well I will be honest.

I have been a dog lover since childhood. I had books of all sorts on them, and watched em on TV, and even started watching Westminster dog shows at the age of 7! I would name each breed and every dog I would see, I would either "name that breed" or name possible mixes. I started fancying the Keeshonds and Goldens. Eventually to Aussies and Borders. But most of those breeds seems too furry and even too big for what i knew my mom and dad would ever allow. Then one day when I was a teen, I happen to come across the Animal Planet Breed all about it on Cardis, and I was like, wait, there is a difference? They look like little borders, I thought. I been hooked since. A friend I met online back in 99 (now my bf) mentioned that he loves them too, and assured me its the Cardi he preferred. I ahve never seen a Pembroke or a Cardi in furson, only pembrokes in the dog specialty shops.

I will tell you I almost gave up a whole paycheck one time about 4 years back JUST to get a tri colored pem from a dog specialty store, but I knew my mom and dad would be livid with me. I was desperate, but my friend who was driving with me talked me out of it.

I started my current job about a year and a half ago and I happen to overhear a conversation with a coworker about litters of puppies, and sorts. I overheard respectfully, and I happen to wait for a moment in between discussion and I asked "what breed if I may ask?', and back of my head was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if it was a cardi", but I knew better.... and low and behold...I was blown away and I about screamed in the break room when she said the magic words! I have been keeping up with her since then.

I swear I was going to have travel out of state for a breeder that was reputable and affordable, but seems not. Everyday I get more anxious!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service