About 50 Corgis rescued from Taiwanese puppy mill - (note: contains upsetting but not gruesome pictures)

Hi Corgi friends,

I wanted to write a post about the organization that I volunteer with, and where we rescued our corgi, Rocky from. The group is called Ocean Dog Rescue and works to rescue dogs from Taiwan and find forever homes for them in Vancouver, BC.

The situation for dogs in Taiwan is terrible and very often purebred dogs and dumped after they are no longer "useful" to breeders. This rescue has been operating for about a year and a half and has found homes for almost 200 dogs (2 of which were corgis)..

Anyways... the morning I got an email from one of the other volunteers about a puppy mill that has just been shut down.. it was all small purebred and about 50 of them were corgis. The Taiwanese government is not good with dog policy and if those dogs aren't rescued, they were will go to their government "shelters" and most likely will be put down. I get easily overwhelmed when I think about the magnitude of this problem... but really just have to try to do what we can.

So, in Taiwan we have a few people who house the rescued dogs for us until homes can be found in BC (or nearby areas... Washington ... etc) they are going to try to rescue as many of the dogs as they can and then over the next month or two, the dogs will be given vet care, assessments and when ready and healthy will be posted for adoption.

It is very likely that all the corgis and other dogs won't be able to be rescued.. there just aren't enough rescue resources in Taiwan. But, in a few months, we at Ocean Dog Rescue will hopefully have several healthy (and getting happier) dogs for adoption. If you have any interest, can offer support or foster for these corgis... it will certainly help with the process.

I have attached some of the pictures of the rescued dogs.. (the pictures are upsetting... but not gruesome... the actual puppy mill pictures are gruesome) and several pictures of individual corgis.

Rescuing dogs is a super upsetting, but ultimately very important thing to do... thank you for reading and for your support.

Here is a link to the adoption website (none of the corgis will be posted yet... they were JUST rescued) but as they become cleared for adoption (1-2 months) we will post their stories... if you would like more information - please get in touch!

http://www.ocean-dog-rescue.org/

And a link to our rescue story..

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13066394

Thanks for reading,

Munira (Rocky's mom)

Views: 5205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh he looks so happy and handsome! I'm so glad he has a chance for a new and wonderful life with people that will appreciate him! Congratulations on your new addition!
They are such perfect companions! I am so happy Teddy found his way to your family! :)
I am from Taiwan, and I donated dog food to the rescue effort. I am glad to see that Teddy is happily living with you!
Thank you David - you rock!
Oh my goodness, I am so happy for you and Teddy! =D

-chill
Update on Honey: She has found her new home in Coquitlam, BC (just outside of Vancouver). She is doing really well, learning to walk on a leash and has become a happy lap dog who LOVES people! We heard more than one story about her pulling her owners down the street to say hello to the garbage collectors and delivery people. (Rocky is visiting her in two of the pictures... she is the little one)

We are hoping to still bring over about four other corgis who are being fostered in Taiwan... not sure what the status is on that; will update when I hear news from Taiwan.

Another corgi from the same puppy mill was adopted to a dog groomer in taiwan, here is a video of her (Bella) playing with her new sister.
Thanks for an awesome update!
It is so wonderful; to see all these happy endings! I can't wait to see more!
Whoa.. good timing. I just got the info about the other four corgis (2 boys, 2 girls) from the puppy mill that are now being cared for by Ocean Dog in Taiwan (as of yesterday).. they think they are all about 3 years old. They need some skin care and healthy food and then should be on their way to become happy corgis.

Here are links to their pics and info:

Boy 1--
skin problem
very cute and sweet!
Pictures
Video
Video2

Boy 2---
Pictures

Girl 1
Pictures

Girl 2---
Poor girl ~~~her ears were cut by the puppy mill
ear infection(not big deal)
Pictures
Video
Video2
So glad to know 4 more Corgis will be in a better situation soon. I have been working with Renee Lin and am excitedly expecting the arrival of two of the 6+ year old Corgis from Taiwan here into my rescue around 3/6 at LAX. You can go to http://www.sacred.petfinder.com and check out their pics and bios. Lori, already has a qualified adopter in Las Vegas, who has a corgi and plans to drive to Los Angeles to adopt Lori thru my rescue after a homecheck and an adjustment period with me. Sugar and Lori will be in foster upon arrival.
Attachments:
Lori and Sugar arrived safe and sound at Los Angeles Airport this past Monday, 3/5 in the mid afternoon. They did not even mess in their crate after being confined for a good 20 hours. They are wonderful and on the way home from the airport we stopped at a local dog park so they could get out stretch their legs and go potty. Both dogs are very socialized and walk nicely on a leash. Sugar, the red/white female, loves to roll over for belly rubs. They are in foster care with my rescue, St. Anthony's Canine Rescue, in Los Angeles County and will be placed in our area. Here are some photos taken at the dog park.

Arleen Rooney
St. Anthony's Canine Rescue
Attachments:
thumbs up!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…