About 50 Corgis rescued from Taiwanese puppy mill - (note: contains upsetting but not gruesome pictures)

Hi Corgi friends,

I wanted to write a post about the organization that I volunteer with, and where we rescued our corgi, Rocky from. The group is called Ocean Dog Rescue and works to rescue dogs from Taiwan and find forever homes for them in Vancouver, BC.

The situation for dogs in Taiwan is terrible and very often purebred dogs and dumped after they are no longer "useful" to breeders. This rescue has been operating for about a year and a half and has found homes for almost 200 dogs (2 of which were corgis)..

Anyways... the morning I got an email from one of the other volunteers about a puppy mill that has just been shut down.. it was all small purebred and about 50 of them were corgis. The Taiwanese government is not good with dog policy and if those dogs aren't rescued, they were will go to their government "shelters" and most likely will be put down. I get easily overwhelmed when I think about the magnitude of this problem... but really just have to try to do what we can.

So, in Taiwan we have a few people who house the rescued dogs for us until homes can be found in BC (or nearby areas... Washington ... etc) they are going to try to rescue as many of the dogs as they can and then over the next month or two, the dogs will be given vet care, assessments and when ready and healthy will be posted for adoption.

It is very likely that all the corgis and other dogs won't be able to be rescued.. there just aren't enough rescue resources in Taiwan. But, in a few months, we at Ocean Dog Rescue will hopefully have several healthy (and getting happier) dogs for adoption. If you have any interest, can offer support or foster for these corgis... it will certainly help with the process.

I have attached some of the pictures of the rescued dogs.. (the pictures are upsetting... but not gruesome... the actual puppy mill pictures are gruesome) and several pictures of individual corgis.

Rescuing dogs is a super upsetting, but ultimately very important thing to do... thank you for reading and for your support.

Here is a link to the adoption website (none of the corgis will be posted yet... they were JUST rescued) but as they become cleared for adoption (1-2 months) we will post their stories... if you would like more information - please get in touch!

http://www.ocean-dog-rescue.org/

And a link to our rescue story..

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13066394

Thanks for reading,

Munira (Rocky's mom)

Views: 5205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really is very sad how there are such irresponsible and cruel people out there. My relative was visiting in Taiwan this winter and saw a documentary movie showing in the theaters called 12 nights. A story about the grueling 12 days homeless dogs spend in shelters awaiting a loving home. If they're not adopted in 12 days...:(

I heard it was such a heart wrenching story and everyone was crying during the movies. It also prompted many people to go out and donate money to help the dogs. Having said that, there are tons of people who love dogs in Taiwan, and pamper them and take them shopping in strollers and on the subway. Our household dogs are so lucky they don't even realize it. There are so many less lucky dogs out there...and every dog deserves to have a loving home. I urge everyone to try to adopt when they can, and if that isn't an option, donating to the humane society and volunteering time at your local shelter can help. Every little effort makes a small difference. The Humane Society of the United States has an online store that sells thousands of products (anything from pet memorabilia, clothing, shoes, accessories, office and home supplies etc) where each online purchase founds bowls of food for homeless dogs. I think it's a great place to get some nifty dog themed products and contribute to a good cause.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service