Just got Ricky-Rafa home after having TTA (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement) surgery yesterday to repair a torn ACL. I've owned Corgis for 40 yrs and this is a first for me. Seems ACL injuries are becoming common in Corgis. Not sure if it's because of the increased popularity and hence number of Corgis, or if it's being diagnosed more.

Back in the day we worried about our Corgis backs. One of my first Corgis, Rookie, needed a thoracic laminectomy. Don't know if it's just coincidence, but both Rookie and Ricky-Rafa were a bit higher in the leg than my other Corgis.

Views: 4318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He's already doing so much better on day 2. Thanks for your good wishes. xoxo

We are in the "wait and see" mode of Jack's ACL injury....he did it several weeks ago, wouldn't walk on it, but now he is using it pretty well for the most part.  Vet examined it, felt some fluid and slippage of the knee, we are thinking positively its an injury vs a tear....Many years ago (like 1990!) my rescued "dingo" type dog, Sami, tore her ACL running around and had to have surgery, she was dead lame....surgery was a complete success and she lived til 14 plus without ever having more problems.  At that time the surgery was several thousand $!  Hubby was not amused!  Anyone have any idea how much $ now?  Ah well, the price we pay for the love of our pups is has no limits:>)'

The prices vary if you use a board certified veterinary surgeon (4 additional years of training and passing written, oral and clinical exams) vs. a general vet. Board certified vets often have more advanced, patented tests that general vets cannot do that are apparently less invasive, less complications w/ quicker recovers––with the bigger price tags. The price seems to vary between about $2K-4K plus or minus. Steep! We paid $3K about 25 years ago for our Corgi Rookie's thoracic laminectomy. Price also varies in different areas. The prices I gave are S. CA. I believe that NYC is a lot higher.

Needless to say, Nancy, keep an eye on it. Did your vet suggest an x-ray?

Nancy: my vet said the Board Certified surgeon he uses will charge me $1,600 to 1,800 for Snicker's surgery. Plus we've already paid $200 for the x-ray. Of course take-home meds aren't included. The surgeon is mobile. He comes to my vet's office for surgeries. He brings a van full of equipment and his own assistants. I'm glad I can afford it, probably the majority of pet owners couldn't.

Seanna has torn both of hers.  Just had surgery again 6 weeks ago.  I know there's a genetic component to it, so maybe all the inbreeding has something to do with it?

I have no idea about a genetic component. I do know that Ricky-Rafa is not an inbred Corgi. While I'm sure he's a purebred Corgi, he is most likely the product of backyard breeding. None of my inbred Corgis had ACL tears. But, this is likely just coincidence. My 2 Corgis needing surgery both were higher in the leg than my others. This theory of mine has been shot down. All I know is that I hope RR doesn't have to have surgery on his other leg. I have no idea how he tore his ACL. We are always with him and we never saw it happen. It could have been just a wrong step, and Lucy and RR are always frapping and wrestling. I intend to follow the post-op instructions compulsively but have no idea how to protect him of injuring this leg or his other one later.

My husband poo-pooed getting pet health insurance. I'm sorry I didn't get it.

I had read an article that said the CL tear is the most common injury to all dogs requiring surgery. I also wonder how much of this is due to 2 things, one is that we have so much more contact with other dog owners now due to the internet and secondly when I was young most would have just put their dog down or left them on 3 legs due to the cost of the surgery. Of course our Dwarf dogs are probably always going to be prone to many injuries but I wonder what the breeders out there think of this??

@ Bev - Also, as Beth noted, back in the day, most of our dogs exercise was on a leash. They didn't get to frap and run craaaazy. Also, back in the day, Corgis were a pretty rare sight. Now they have become a very popular breed; and dwarf dogs do have more orthopedic issues. I will buy health insurance in the future for my Corgis. I expect it's too late to get anyone to write an affordable policy for him.

Happy August. All good wishes from all of us!

Thanks Lucy, the prices sound like they didn't change much in 22 years!  I love my vet and would trust her to do the surgery, she has always gone the extra mile for us and is like a good friend!   She didn't want to do an xray yet as she wanted to see if it would heal more since it was remarkedly better than when he first did what ever he did....so he is on a 2 week course of Rimadyl and some gluco and homeopathic arnica.  Yes, I wish we had gotten insurance too, esp for our English Setter who 2 years ago had to have special oral surgery to remove a growth in his gums between 2 front teeth, then 2 months later major surgery to remove a 5# mass and his spleen..the mouth was non-canerous, but the sleen is a bad type of blood cancer...good news is with a new protocol of oral chemo he is doing well esp for being 12 1/2....that summer we spent $6K on him and its $100 a month just for his chemo pills, haven't added up the cost of supplements!  SO insurance might have helped a bit...oh well, we do what we have to do to keep em healthy and happy!  Glad to hear R-R is recovering well!

Doug (of Gromit & Sparkle fame!) sent me this study re. ACL via the Pem-L page on Facebook.  Interesting. The study finds a correlation between neutering dogs before 6 mo. and ACL tears.

I will most likely wait til 1 year to neuter if I get another male in the future.  I would probably still spay at 6 months though, due to the other risks of an intact female.

@ Nancy, LOL, I'm Wendy. Lucy is Ricky-Rafa's "sister."   ;)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service