Before this week I had never hear of Addison's Disease. Now our girl has been diagnosed with it. Does any one else have a dog with Addison's Disease? I have been reading everything I can on it. I'm wondering about diet and if a certian diet will help manage the Addison's?

Views: 1451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

[pssst] 1/4 of 5mg is 1.25 mg, so you wouldn't have to cut the 1mg, it would just be slightly less. Some pharmacies will cut the pills for you, maybe for a fee?
Yea I have a request for my vet to call in a scrip for the 1 mg. I have a pill cutter I can use but will check with Walgreens and see it they can cut them. Thanks...
What are you feeling on liquid predinsone?
if the vet says its fine, I don't see why not, but if its for humans, it probably has a lot of sugar in it?
Hi Kellie~~ Scooter seens to be doing well and acts ALMOST normal. I still find myself guarding her and thinking maybe I'm over guarding her. I watch her on our daily (AM/PM) walks. I don't want her to go to far and not be able to make it back home. Twice she wanted to keep going and we did. But then we started back home she couldn't make it. Once I ended up carrying her home, which was a feat for me! The next time we just stopped and let her rest until she was ready to go on. Sometimes she will start out on our walks but just sits down and won't walk. So I don't push it. We just stay out long enough for her to get her business done and we go in. I find she "Power Naps" a lot.
With the help of ADogs ladies I have her Percorten-V down to .8 ml every 33 days.She is still on 1 mg Pred a day. I hope to be able to lower the Pred again some day but I only want to lower one med at a time.
That way if anything goes wrong I won't have to guess which med is causing the problem.
I read your posting to Ivy. You gave some great ideas. Where did you get the Addison's vet tag? I would like to get one for Scooter. The suitcase with her gear in it I have done, but I don't carry any of the Pred with us. But I will go add that to her gear as well. Thanks...
Do you wait until the stress shows up in Sera BEFORE you give her extra Pred?
Good to know!! My vet has it that is liver or chicken favor. Yum Yum...
How is Scooter doing lately? Still getting back to being herself? We were thinking about you all...
Scooter seems to be back to her old self! Just last week all the tremors stopped. Yesterday I started cutting down her Predinsone. Down from 1.25 mg to 1 mg daily. I'm alternating days for a week and if all goes well next week she will be on 1 mg. I'm watching her close for any changes. This morning on our hike she came home with a dirty butt~~ I didn't get to see when this happened so not even sure what it looked like. Other than the leftover messy rear feathers she is acting fine... Tonight went we walk I will really keep my eye on her and watch or any change on that end! Our goal is to see if we can get her safely down to 0.5 Pred. It's sure great to have her back again. Now I'm just worried something will send her back into crisis. My family has all gone to Key West. They wants us to come down and I keep dragging my feet. I'm really afraid the stress of the trip will do something to her. She has been on this trip many time in the past but that was before the AD.
We are waiting for the results of the ACTH test for Addison's on my Muffin. I am so scared! She has been drinking and urinating excessively and now seems uninterested in eating. She lays under the sofa all day.
I'm afraid for her to get out of my sight because she might have a crisis. I'm just anxious to get a diagnosis and get treatment started. Muffin is such a joy to our family and we want her to feel good. This has happened so fast. It helps to hear about other success stories.
How is Muffin this morning? Here is a GREAT place to get help and find information. I joined as soon as I found of Scooter what AD. The members are so helpful. I feel they know more than my vet. They can answer any question I may think of. Go to the website below and join. There is hours of helpful reading for you here.

k9Addisons is a support and information list for those with canine companions afflicted by Addisons Disease.
Addisons Disease is a very manageable condition in dogs, and our goal is to provide you with as much information as possible to keep your Addisonian dog healthy and happy.

To join our group, please read the following URL, and either reply to the auto letter that is sent upon application, or send us an email indicating your interest in joining.

www.k9addisons.com/subscribe.html
We got the diagnosis of AD today. My vet has recommended an injection every 25 days and Prednisone tablets for stress times. Muffin seems to be having a better day today. She is still not herself and stays in her "safe place" under the sofa most of the time. We are supposed to go the the beach in June and I'm worried about the ride. She does ok in the car but is still nervous. I am in the process of being educated on this disease. Thank you for the support group and keep me posted on Scooter.
You need to know with the proper meds Miffin will be Muffin again. It has only been the past 2 weeks Scooter is back to Scooter. She would have termors up to a week ago, but only when she would get tired on our walks. One time I even ended up carrying her home. Please join the group write to the them. Scooter is on 1mg of Predinsone every morning and a Percorten-V injection every 28 days. I'd like to get her down to .5 mg of Pred a day. That is our goal. Did they run a lytes test? That would of told you 3 things. What her levels of Sodium and Potassium are. Then it will give you a ratio. That number should be between 30:1 and 32:1. If your vet ran that tell him you want a copy. Start a journal of what has been done, any meds changes, and the results of any test done. Also ask the vet what kind of AD she has. There are 3 kinds~Primary Addison's~Secondary Addison's~ and Atypical Addison's. All this I found out on the website I sent you. Believe me when I say it is a wonderful place and wonderful people. If I were you I would get the results from the lytes test and write in as being newly diagnosised and include what you vet has Muffin on at this point. They will also need to know Muffin's breed, age and weight and spayed or not.The ladies who run the site will write back with their IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) what you and the vet should be doing for Muffin at this point. They Are Good!! Here is my email address if you want to write me direct! cjd_jammer@yahoo.com Please feel free to write me any time with any of your concerns.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service