Hello there!  New to this site AND soon new to be Corgi mommy.  I have always had "big" dogs and w/some pushing from a persistent 11 year old I have found room in my heart to seek out and adopt a little corgi.

Long story short...they are hard to find in my region.  Seems like they are plentiful out west.  :)  I also live not to far from the well know Lancaster puppy miller/backyard breeder area of PA.

I ended up finding Amsburg Kennels in Washington State.  This kennel is run by Bonnie Jo Ames.  She has been quite kind and accommodating up to this point...although not all of my questions have been answered. (probably due to the fact that I ask so darn many.)  With all that said, there is still a piece of my mind that has reservations about getting a dog so far away from someone you do not really know.

Has anyone done business with her?  Did you get what you expected/were told?  How was shipping/after-adoption process?  Is there help from the breeder after shipping or are you left to your own devices-should there be a problem?

Thank you in advance!

Views: 4062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes...this is all new to me.  While I am not a first time dog owner, this will be the first time I am purchasing from a breeder.  I was telling my friend how stressful it all is and she laughed at me.  (She has several dogs)  She says "Next time around it will be no big deal."  She is funny.

Anyway...YES...waiting is sooo hard.  Which is why I said heck with it and are adopting all the way from across the country!!  I have not a patient bone in my body.  haha

Oh...and pic of the expected little lady as my 'profile pic'.  :) :)

Oh, she's so CUTE!!   I just want to squeeze her.

What a sweet face your new baby has!  Congratulations!  I wish you many years of love and happiness together.

We've always been a big dog family...Irish Wolfhounds...but now we have our fairy dogs and love them to pieces.

Hey Amanda! I know you posted this 4 years ago but i was just doing some research and looking for reviews on Bonnie with Amsburg corgis. I live about 20 minutes away from her and just put my deposit down for a corgi that we should be getting within the next few months. 

I was hoping to hear your little ball of fluff was as healthy as can be and if you had any questions or concerns that they were answered. I would love to hear both good and bad news, but of course hope that there isnt any bad news at all. 

Thank you!

Hello,

I know this thread is many years old now but I figured I would add my experience with Amsburg Corgis/Bonnie in case someone else does a google search that leads them here :).

My husband and I obtained a corgi puppy (10 weeks old at the time) in October '19.  Turbo is honestly the best puppy we could have asked for.  His temperament is amazing.  He never went through a nipping phase and is not much of a barker (amazing for a corgi, I know!).  Turbo is extremely affectionate but has never had issues with separation anxiety.  He's also always been very calm and never really driven us crazy with the typical puppy antics.  Of course, he has a chewed on a few things but has not an ounce of aggression in his personality.  I'm not saying that all of Bonnie's puppies will have these traits, but I do believe she raises well-adjusted, socialized and good tempered dogs.  She told us that  she picked Turbo's dog dad to breed with because his temperament was one of the best she has seen.  This told us that she really cares about her breeding pairs.  

Bonnie also does a large amount of health testing for her corgis, which was extremely important to us.  Our previous corgi that I adopted from a shelter developed DM late in his life and it was probably the most heartbreaking thing to experience for us.  Bonnie specifically breeds puppies that are DM clear and when we told her our story of our previous corgi, she was very sympathetic and said it was morally important to her that her puppies did not develop it. 

Bonnie is very knowledgeable and maybe a bit of a (earned) elitist corgi breeder but she has been doing it for 45 years and has many Champions and Grand Champions to show for it.  She is also very busy on her farm and in our experience, it was best to be pro-active about contacting her by phone for any issues or questions.  She never answered any emails we sent (lol) so I think the old-fashioned phone is the best way to communicate.  She also gets a lot of inquires so don't be offended if she can't remember you right away.  

Other stuff to mention, she doesn't have you sign a contract and she said she used to do so but it became a pain in the butt, so she just doesn't do it anymore.  If you live locally, like we do, she was really happy to have us visit her and her corgis.  By the way, all her corgis (we met maybe a dozen or so) were wonderful and so damn CUTE! I was sold right away on getting a puppy from her when I met them :).

Hopefully this helps someone in the future if they are considering Amsburg Corgis!  I'll try to check on this thread once in a while in case other responses come. 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service