We have to go out of town in October for my sisters 40th birthday.  I wish it could have been something planned in Illinois, but its not and we have ourselves a dilemma.  

I was looking on opinions on boarding our recent rescue Tucker.  We have had him six months (September 6th).  We would be gone for 2 nights and a day.   I am not sure if this would cause any issues, don't want him to change while we our gone for the two days. Would boarding him remind him of the time he spent at the shelter? 

If we do board him, we would not have any play time set up with other dogs, as we don't want him to bring home anything Lance could catch since he is dealing with immune issues. Just being at the boarding place, would that put Lance at risk for catching something from Tucker even if Tucker doesn't play with other dogs? 

My mother in law and father in law will be watching Lance since we aren't able to board Lance because of his health issues. I think one dog for them to take care of is plenty.  He will keep them busy enough just with all the bathroom breaks he needs to take with the meds he is on. 

I would prefer to bring Tucker with us, but my husband for some reason wants me to look into boarding Tucker, which he usually wants to bring him with us as well.  We are renting a house that we will be sharing with my brother and his fiance and my other brother, his wife and their 18 month old daughter. 

The only reason I can think my husband is more willing to board this time is because we will have to pay a 100.00 pet fee to bring Tucker, and that is basically what it would cost us to board him here.  I am not sure how much we will be out and about while on our trip, it may be nice to board him.  I still am not 100 percent sure what I want to do yet. We have boarded Lance once in his life, when we went to Disney three years ago, other than that he goes with us on our vacations.  Tucker also went on our family vacation this past July.  What to do, what to do, that is the question!!!  Any advice would be appreciated. 

One more note, the place we would board Tucker, if we do, is the same place we boarded Lance, so I am ok with where we are thinking of boarding him, I just am not sure if it is a good idea to board a rescue and with Lances health issues, if it is risky to have Tucker stay there and possibly bring something back to Lance?

Views: 593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it is a bad idea to do what Jennifer and LaRissa have mentioned. Have an area here for folks that are interested in dogsitting with fellow mycorgi.com peeps.

yes, I agree, its a great idea!!!

Were having the exact same problem. Were trying to plan a trip to see my daughter in Pa. (we live in Florida). Taking the dogs is not an option so I've been checking into either boarding them or hiring a pet sitter to come over a few times a day. All our dogs are rescues but Rugby our oldest tri came from a very bad place were I know he was abused. Even though he has been with us for quite a few years he's still skittish around people and dogs he doesn't know. I checked into boarding/ spa but frankly with three dogs at $30 a day for five days is a little cost prohibative. That would be close to $500! Yikes! A pet sitter was referred to us by one of our neighbors and we met with her the other day. She seemed very nice and we think that maybe the way we go. That way Rugby doesn't need to be introduced to a whole new enviroment and can have the security of his own home.
Yes, boarding can get expensive, that is for sure!!
Hi, If i didn't have 4 dogs, i would love to watch him. I'm just right off of 55 and 80.
In house pet sitting is the way to go if at all possible.  We have been scared to put Tenby (also a rescue) in any kind of situation that involves cages and strangers plus he has health issues.  We have had house/pet sitters for a month and a week and it was wonderful.  The boys are so much happier and we don't feel as bad leaving them.
how do you find someone you can trust.
especially for someone like me who worries about everything and then some.

Natalie, I work in a shelter. We follow all the proper protocol for cleaning. Dogs with kennel cough are housed in a separate area, use a different door and outside area. We immunize all our dogs, hands are washed, gloves are worn, etc. Despite all that, dogs get sick.

I can almost guarantee that Tucker will be exposed to something in a kennel. Bordatella vaccines, for example, only cover some causes of kennel cough. Even if Tucker is protected by the vaccine and doesn't get sick, he could carry germs on his body, though most germs don't live long like that. There are, however, things like parvo, which is in the ground, on the floors, just waiting. The triple cleaning with bleach doesn't get everything, but very few dogs get parvo. Tucker, being a healthy dog, will most likely be fine. I've had my dogs return from a very good kennel with kennel cough, but that was not a big deal for my young healthy dog.

So, I would recommend that when you bring Tucker home you quarantine him for a while. I'm not sure how long you should keep the dogs apart, that would be a good question for your vet. We tell our adopters that even if their dogs aren't sneezing when they take them home, they still could develop kennel cough symptoms later because of their exposure. You'll want to make sure Tucker isn't sick before you put him together with his buddy Lance. You may also want to wash hands between contact with the two dogs.

I'm giving you the extreme version, since I don't know  just how vulnerable Lance is. Please ask your vet about a quarantine period, if he thinks it might be necessary.

Thank You for your input Jula, I will bring these ideas up with my vet!!
I want to address the behavioral aspect of your boarding Tucker.  I am a behavioral counselor and work a lot with rescue dogs.  Typically, it takes 30 days after rescuing a dog to think for them to think, "Maybe I'm staying here."  6 months for them to say, "Wow, I love my new home!!"  My concern would be if you kennel him he would think you were abandoning him. He could have get some anxiety.   Is this boarding place a daycare also?  If so, have him go once a week to familiarize him to the facility.  He will be less anxious if he has been there before.   And for sure he could bring home something.  Most boarding and daycare facilities require proof of vaccinations and bordatella.  We work with one here in Colorado Springs that houses some of our rescue dogs and none have ever contracted kennel cough.  Not to say it couldn't happen.  Good Luck in making your decision!

Thank You for your advice, I appreciate it.  The boarding place I have in mind does have daycare as well.  I wouldn't want Tucker exposed to actual play time though, cause I would think that would up the chances of him bringing something home to Lance even more.

My initial thoughts were to bring Tucker with us, but for some reason my husband was wanting to board Tucker, which usually he also wants to bring the dogs wherever we go as well.  They say you should always go with your instincts, why I let my husband to persuade me into thinking maybe we should board Tucker, I don't know.  By writing this discussion though I am now totally 100 percent confident we should bring Tucker with us as I first thought.  The vet doesn't even want Tucker at the groomers so what is going to make him want us to bring Tucker to a boarding place!? 

Today we are celebrating Tuckers anniversary of being rescued six months ago today!!!  He really is so calm and sweet, I wouldn't want to put him through more than he has been through already. For all he has been through you would never know it.  The first night we had him, he seemed pretty darn comfortable and glad to be in a home and thankful.  It did help that the volunteer at the shelter had him in her home a bit before he came to ours. 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service