I only use the furminator on Ein when she's blowing coat. Otherwise it just seems to get caught on her fur and I can tell she doesn't like it. Besides that I just have a little cat brush that barely gets through her thick coat. (Although she loves getting brushed with it haha). I bought one of those brushes called a slicker, that's just a bunch of stiff wires, and she hates it. Didn't work well either. 

I really don't need to brush her much when she's not blowing coat, as she doesn't shed at all otherwise and doesn't get any tangles, but I still feel like she should be brushed every now and then. 

Also...a question about coat blowing. I've had Ein since June, and I went through she spring/summer blow. But I've also read that they blow coat in the winter. It's November, and she's still hardly shedding at all (although we've had a very warm Fall this year which may have something to do with it). Should I be expecting it any day now, or do some corgis only blow coat once a year?

I've also always heard that corgis shed like crazy all year round. But after her spring blow was done, she hasn't shed at all! Has anyone else experienced this, or did I hit the corgi fur gene jackpot?

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zoom Groom works wonders on Bento's fur.  It's this rubber brush that works really well.  Bento likes it a lot because the "bristles" are made of rubber, so it's gentle on his skin.  

I love Zoom groom ^_^

I use a greyhound comb on Mishka rather than a brush.  He doesn't shed much (except when blowing coat) and doesn't get many tangles.  I still comb him every few days for a couple minutes because he likes it and it makes him look spiffy.  I always use the wide tooth side first and then do the fine tooth side.

I do a more thorough combing about once a week, where I backcomb him.  It's my weekly check to make sure he doesn't have any bites or fleas or other things going on with his skin that should get special attention.

I used a slicker brush for a while for the backcombing but the greyhound comb works just as well and doesn't leave his undercoat scraggly.  The slicker is still better if you want to fluff up a particular area (bib, pants, etc.) for show.

I have a furminator, but I feel like a conditioner bath does a better job of getting the undercoat out when he's blowing coat.  The Furminator seemed to take some topcoat no matter how carefully I went, but I probably wasn't doing it right.  :)

You either hit the jackpot on the no shedding or Ein's body REALLY likes what you're feeding her.  Sort of like humans - some people need a little more or less salt than average, or more or less dairy than average, to really be at their best.  How well a diet suits your individual dietary needs generally shows up in your skin and hair.

What size/model greyhound comb?  I use a similar fine-tooth steel comb, with a (heavily chewed) handle.  I'd never seen one with both wide-tooth and fine-tooth.  That might help.

Looks like this, but mine has the words "Four Paws GC 170" on it, which I don't think matters.  They seem to be on Amazon from a number of manufacturers - Coarse/Medium and Coarse/Fine, ranging from ~$5 to ~$30.  Mine is about 6" long - sometimes I wish it were longer so that I wouldn't hit Mishka with the fine side by accident while detangling.

I like a slicker brush. It does a good job on their pants and can be used as an all-over brush too.

I use a rubber mitt glove that has 2 sides...I keep mine in the car most of the time so when we go on Therapy dog visits I give Sage a twice over to remove any extra fur...

My dog isn't quite a year old yet but I've used the furminator brush and it does work but it doesn't shine the coat at all. I don't show my dog but I still want him to look nice. When it comes to shredding season I use a dog grooming attachment with my Dyson vacuum to loosen and suck up the undercoat right away. Between the two brushes they seem to work great for me.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I picked up a zoom groom today---so far so good! 

I hope the zoom groom works out well for you and Ein.  Bento sends his furry well wishes.  He says to Ein, "look pitiful, so you'll get treats from the humans.  The zoom is gentler on our skin so make sure the puppy eyes are on full blast."

Haha, thanks Bento! She really seems to like it! 

I'm so glad you guys mentioned the Zoom Groom!  Story's trainer showed it to me at PetSmart about a month, but then I forgot what it was called when I looked on Amazon.  Story loved it, and since it attracts the hair by static, you don't get a bunch of hair blowing around as you brush.  I'm glad you are liking it, I'm going to get one for Storytime!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service