Hey everyone...

I'm considering giving up my 2-year-old, Heidi.  This is a very hard thing because she's a wonderful dog and I've been very judgmental and self-righteous in the past about people who give up their dogs for reasons that I believed were trivial.  (I have no right to judge people that way, and feel a lot of remorse.)

Anyway, this is the situation:  I want what's best for my dog.  For reasons beyond my control, she's not allowed in the house. She has a pen outside with toys and a doghouse, etc, and I give her as much exercise and attention as possible but recently she's developed the skills to escape from her pen.  She digs, she bends the wire up, she pushes the (latched) gate hard enough to slip through the space, she comes up with ways to get out whenever I'm not around.  I live in a rural setting, there is livestock around, as well as several packs of other stray dogs, wild animals, hunters, etc.   I'm concerned for her safety.  I don't want her running loose and encountering anything potentially dangerous.

When I bought her, the breeder told me they would always take her back if I needed to re-home her, no questions asked.  I tried calling them yesterday but the number was disconnected.  I'm definitely NOT going to take her to a shelter.  I love her very much and can barely stand the thought of giving her up but I'm starting to feel it might be best for Heidi.  She's a lovely dog and doesn't have any problems other than her escaping skills.  She probably needs to be a house dog with someone who can watch her and keep her more entertained than I can.  She'd also probably enjoy other dogs to play with too.

MyCorgi has come through time and again in situations like this.  Anyone interested?

I live in Selmer, TN (an hour south of Jackson and east of Memphis).  Heidi is 2 years old, purebred, spayed, up to date on Frontline, and has few problems (she's a little food-aggressive, but takes correction easily, and she freaks out about having her nails cut...nothing Corgi owners aren't used to).

Views: 321

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Luck...I know it's a hard thing to do but I did this with Rainy and she is now a little princess with all the attention she needs! As hard as it was I am so happy for her...she has a perfect life and Heidi can too!
I am sorry to hear this. If her escaping problems can be solved, can you keep her? Maybe we can suggest solutions to your problem first.
David- what a wonderful suggestion!!!!!!!!!
I'm open to suggestions if you have any. I'm also open to anyone who might be willing to provide a better home for her too.
Thank-you for being such an unselfish mommy and wanting to do the best for her:)
If she came from a good breeder, SOMEBODY knows where that breeder went. Was the breeder a member of one of the local clubs?

You can fix the pen - lots of things can be done to make sure she can't escape. If you're rural, you can replace the existing wire with sheep panels (fantastic for containing dogs).
I was thinking hogs panels, similar to sheep panels(I think) & burry down in the group so when she digs she cant dig under it......
Some corgis are small enough to get through the larger divisions in the hog panels (otherwise they're fantastic). The sheep panels have uniformly sized squares and not even puppies can fit through. You can bury them or you can lay flexible wire (like chicken wire) along the ground inside the pen and attach it to the bottom of each panel. The dogs never think to back up two feet to start digging; when they try to dig and hit the chicken wire they stop.
that's an awesome idea! i never would have thought of that...
where do i buy sheep panels? i never heard of that but it sounds promising.
Click here.

I believe this is what Joanna and Jane are talking about. It is also called cattle panel. I believe ranch supply stores have them.
That is what I use! I have shorter and longer....I will try to get you a pic:)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service