Hi guys. This is my first time here, although I wish I would have joined years ago. It seems like a fun place to be. =) I am writing today because I just found out that my 10 1/2 year old Corgi (Blaze) has a tumor in his eye that is probably cancerous and has to have his eye removed, probably Tues.

I am trying to digest this...Blaze is my baby, my husband and I don't have kids and well you can imagine how spoiled he is. =) He also has some aging and cloudiness going on in his good eye, so I guess we will see how that goes as he gets older. The vet took some xrays and it doesn't seem that he has any other tumors in his body that we can see anyway...so that is good news.

It's just really hard for me to deal with this...I have read some messages online that tell people to "buck up" and deal with it ..it isn't happening to you, it is happening to him...I know that this is true. I have to get control of my emotions so he won't be upset if he sees that I am...I think he will adjust to the loss of the eye fine, it seems most dogs aren't really that affected by it once it heals.

Anyway, I am just venting basically and wondering if any of you have had anything similar. This is happening so soon, it is a lot to take in..

Thanks for any support.

Suz

Views: 1702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much Linda for remembering us..It means a lot.  As you can see I had to get another opinion just to make sure so the surgery has been postponed a couple of days...but will happen this week.  Thanks again.

Update:  Well Blaze was scheduled for this morning but at the last minute we decided we had to have a second opinion just to make sure it was the right thing.. We were going to have our regular vet do the removal but I wanted to have an vet eye doctor look at it.

She said it was a tumor and probably cancerous, but no way to know until it is sent in to pathology...she said the regular vet could do the removal the only difference is she uses an orbital sphere to keep the eye from sinking in...This eye doctor is also $1000 more. She did say they send the sample to U of Wisconisn where they study eye diseases in dogs. So I just have to decide who to go with....She said he did not have glucoma, well his pressures were good today anyway...other eye looks good. 

He is blind in the bad eye she said, so that makes me feel a lot better about him adjusting to the removal..I am not sure if I should have the orbital sphere put in or not...

Anyway, that is the latest. I have to make an appt today to get this done by the end of the week...At least I hvve more peace that this is the right thing to do.

Does anyone know if most dogs have this implant when the eye is removed? I am not sure what to do..Blaze has weird allergies to foods/things so I am not 100% sure he would not have some weird reaction to the implant sphere.

Thanks for listening...

I can completely understand wanting a 2nd opinion.  About the orbital sphere I have no idea.  I know my vet and I discussed that if the glaucoma progresses badly that Gemma (cat) could lose her eye(s) but that was all we discussed.  She is only 6 and has had it since she was 4...much too young.

It's a hard decision but whichever way you go will be best for Blaze and you.

Sorry to hear about Gemma, Linda.  That is much too young for dealing with Glaucoma.   Hope it doesn't progress on you.

I think we are goign to have our regular vet do the surgery. I don't want the sphere in his eye for cosmetic reasons only, not for $1000 and if there is a chance (even though small) of any issues from it.

I'll just be glad to have this done and him heal so we all can settle down and move on.  Blaze has been enjoying the extra lovin these past few days =)

Suzanne...many good thoughts and prayers for Blaze and you tomorrow.  He will still be just as beautiful in your eyes as he ever was.  I know they will do the pathology on the tumor to confirm if it is cancer.  Has there been any discussion about treatment if it is?

John...I am sorry you have been faced with such a tough year.  Yes, it hurts us unbearably when our furbabies are hurt or ill.  I am so thankful I found acupuncture for Max's neck...his pain is gone and he can use it fully.  He has only required 3 treatments in 2 years to keep him good to go.  I would take him every week to keep him free of pain.

Thanks Linda, we appreciate it.

The vet said he is 100% sure it is cancer and the eye doctor said it probably is as well.  It depends on what kind and they both said that a lot of times if the cancer is just in the eye, it is encapsulated in the globe and taking it out will cure it. They did some Xrays of this torso/organs and did not see any tumors in his lungs/liver so that is good news...we are praying for the best.

That's great that Max was helped with acupuncture...It is nice when something natural helps and you don't have all the side effects from drugs/surgeries...anyway I will keep you posted on how it goes tomorrow.

Just got the call that Blaze is doing okay. The surgery is done and he is resting. He will stay the night and hopefully come home tomorrow. Can't wait to see him, although I am sure that will be tough.  Sending eye to pathology, so we wait to hear what is next. 

Thanks for the prayers, we appreciate them. Been a rough week for Blaze and my husband and I.  Hope he heals up fast and is back on his feet soon.

Suz

I am so glad that he is done with the surgery and on his way to recovering.  You have really done a great job taking care of him.  The next part of this adventure will be hard too, but you have all proven that you have the guts and the love for each other to make it look easy!!!  Thank you so much for the update, and give Blaze a big hug from all of us!!!

Thanks  Teresa. I'm praying hard that this cancer was all contained in the eye ball and it is curative..two docs said that could be the case...we are sending the eye to the pathology dept of Univ of Wisconsin, apparently there is a pathologist there that only does eye balls...kind of weird, but we should get a more precise diagnosis of what type it is so we know more about it.

I'm still trying to process what all has happened in the past few days...I took him to the vet Sat thinking he had a cataract or glaucoma and found out about the tumor/cancer that day and that his eye had to be removed. ..I guess things move fast in the cancer world in animals and in humans...anyway, thanks again for your support.

Suzanne,

Glad today went as well as it could.  So sorry that you have to go through this with your Blaze.  Thinking happy thoughts for a speedy & full recovery.  It may not seem like it right now, but Blaze will amaze you with how strong he is.  :)

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers

Heather

Thanks Heather, we appreciate your thoughts and prayers...I know he will amaze me, that is one thing I kept reading over and over again about animals losing an eye...or leg or whatever that get thrown at them, they adjust and move on...I can probably learn a thing or two from that  =)

Take care,

Suzanne

I am glad to read the update and that he is resting comforably.  You've had a lot thrown at you in a short time so of course your head is reeling.  Just remember...it is harder on you than on him.  When you see him tomorrow and bring him home of course a little extra love is expected but really try not to let him feel your anxiety.  He will be confused but he will adapt just fine and he will do that quicker if you don't act like there are major changes in him.  Blaze will still be Blaze whether he has 2 eyes or one and it's you that needs to show him that by treating him the same.  Like a little kid looking at mommy to see if he should cry after taking a tumble, Blaze will take his cue from you.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service