Hi guys. This is my first time here, although I wish I would have joined years ago. It seems like a fun place to be. =) I am writing today because I just found out that my 10 1/2 year old Corgi (Blaze) has a tumor in his eye that is probably cancerous and has to have his eye removed, probably Tues.

I am trying to digest this...Blaze is my baby, my husband and I don't have kids and well you can imagine how spoiled he is. =) He also has some aging and cloudiness going on in his good eye, so I guess we will see how that goes as he gets older. The vet took some xrays and it doesn't seem that he has any other tumors in his body that we can see anyway...so that is good news.

It's just really hard for me to deal with this...I have read some messages online that tell people to "buck up" and deal with it ..it isn't happening to you, it is happening to him...I know that this is true. I have to get control of my emotions so he won't be upset if he sees that I am...I think he will adjust to the loss of the eye fine, it seems most dogs aren't really that affected by it once it heals.

Anyway, I am just venting basically and wondering if any of you have had anything similar. This is happening so soon, it is a lot to take in..

Thanks for any support.

Suz

Views: 1702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Linda, yes I do plan on treating him the same, with the extra love of course.  I am sure after a week or two we will all be used to it and go on.  He was blind already in the bad eye, so after the wound heals he should be good. Doc said there was  a lot of inflammation in there, so I'm sure he had pain as well...so he should feel better than before after the healing.

I've done pretty well this week actually...well as good as you can for something like this...Hope you all don't think I am a big baby, it was just a shock and Blaze is my first and only pet, although I am assuming that this kind of thing never gets easier no matter how many pets you have.

Well thanks again Linda.  You have been a big help this week.  I'll keep you posted on the outcome when I get the pathology report.

Suzanne

I just had a cat that was going to have an eye removed yesterday...luckily they were able to save it.  Cat is doing well after the surgery. Doesn't seem affected much at all except he is now able to see again out of that eye:)

That's wonderful Jane...I'm so happy to hear that.  =)

Thanks Suzanne...I bet Blaze will be so happy to be back home with his family:)

So glad to hear things are well!!  Been thinking about you guys.. :-)

Thanks Jennifer!

Jane....how wonderful that they were able to not only save the eye but to restore his sight also!  Amazing what they can do for our 4-legged babies today, years ago they would never have dreamed doing that.

Thanks Linda, he is a feral cat that I got from the humane society near us. He is still afraid of humans and that's what took so long for me to catch him. He lives in a building with a fence to the outdoors, my guess is he was feeling lousy enough to sit in the crate I had in the shed for him(and 4 others) and I was able to close the door and get him to the vet the next day. I had told the vet about his eye(thought it was the 3rd eyelid) but he still thought it was the whole eye. I got a call after from the vet who was also happy he didn't have to remove it. Some day I hope he will trust me.

Jane....then it's doubly good that the eye was saved.  Being feral and losing half his sight would make him even more fearful.  I've never dealt with feral cats but I hope in time he comes to trust you and will at least let you pet him even if he isn't the most cuddly cat in the world.

Gemma has always been skittish and with having to put drops in her eyes twice a day had made it even worse, she will avoid you if you are moving around.  If you are sitting watching TV or at the computer she will come and sit in your lap but the slightest twitch of your body sends her running.

Is Blaze home and how is he (and you) doing?

I'd like to know too...

Hi Linda and Jane, sorry I didnt update...yeah Blaze is home.. We are both doing good. His eye has  a lot of inflammation,but hoping that goes away soon. Right now it is swollen and red.  He is wearing the cone so he is bumping into everything, but I think that is a lot to do with it..not the loss of the eye...we wont know until it comes off in about 10 days...but I think he will get along fine. 

I am still getting used to it, but am handing it pretty well.  Giving him extra lovin. Vet took off a growth on his paw too so he has some stitches in there as well, but overall we are doing okay. Thanks for asking.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service