Gracie received her DHPP vaccine last night around 6pm.  By 7pm she was vomiting-- by 9.30 her face was so swollen you could barely see her eyes. She looked  like a sharpaie dog face. Was getting extremely worried at this point. Stayed up with her all night as she continued to vomit occasionally. Thinking this is a bad reaction to shot. She layed down about 4 and so did I and fell asleep. When i woke i immediately checked on her, her swelling in face looked like it had gone down quite a bit. At 7.30am called the vet explained what had taken place, she said to give some beneydral,so i did,she seemed ok. So i went to work which is only 5 min away in case something else took place. At 9am my daughter calls upset saying Gracies ears are all swollen very think and huge lumps and has diarrhea. So immediatley rushed home and off to the vet we went. They looked at her and said she need to stay--put her on iv fluids and somthing for the swelling.  Needless to say this is very upsetting--trying to protect your dog with the vaccine, but yet the vaccine is what was harmful to her. Hope she pulls thru, i have read now that dogs have died from this vaccine or later had complications.

Views: 1770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry you and your baby are having to go throught this!  Hang in there......Get well Gracie.  ^,,^
This makes us want to skip the shots altogether. Mine are not boarded, no one comes to the house and if I have to call the groomer to come to the house, so be it ‼‼
Parvo lives in the soil for months, can be brought in on your shoes, and is often fatal. If you are going to skip boosters, you really need to titer test.

And yes it's scary and sad to hear about poor Gracie's bad reaction. For perspective, though, my uncle had to go to the ER after a bad allergic reaction to sesame oil. It does not make me feel like I need to avoid nuts.

Bad allergic reactions can happen to nearly anything.

That is so scary. I hope Gracie is back to normal soon! :) 

Update: Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. I was able to bring Gracie home last night. The vet said that this was a very severe reaction. And that it does happen. Gracie was on steriod IV all day, and that help alot. she was very tired when we got home. But her face and ears look back to normal. She will be on prednisone and benydral  for 3 days. And the vet suggested we do the titers on her in the future. She had this vaccine last Aug 2010 without reaction, so i didn't think it was any different now We will have to watch her for awhile.  Thanks so much everyone for your input and caring. Thats whats so wonderful about this website. Everyone understands. :)
So glad to hear Gracie is home and doing better!!
Oh and our vet clinic said they would cover the cost for the day and the meds. I think our vet felt really bad that this happened. It was scary thou.
I am so happy to hear that Gracie is doing better!  I am just so sorry that she and you had to go through this frightening experience!  Thank you for the update!!

how nice of your vet!!

That is sooooooo amazing of your vet to cover the costs!!!! Considering it wasn't THEIR fault she reacted, sounds like you have yourself a top notch vet! Great to hear she is doing better!
Glad your baby is home!
Hooray!  I'm so glad she's back home where she belongs and on the mend.  I bet she's tired, poor pooch....sheeesh, what a horrible experience for you both!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service