(2007)I don't have any ID microchips in my corgis, was wondering if anyone out there has done it before.

(2009 update) I've since taken all my foster dogs to get chipped. It's cheap and the procedure is fast :)

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to microchip my rescues and it's interesting to watch them do this but I don't have any of my own microchipped.If you get any valuable info on why it is good to microchip please let me know!
read my comment below
Where I live it is the law that your dog must have a microchip.

So my corgi naturally has a microchip too. I'm planning to take on 2 cats this summer and they are also going to be chipped. It is a great relieve for me that if they are lost they are going to be returned to me. Or in the worst case scenario I know that he/she didn't survive. You always know where and what happened to your pet.
Sam as you know we do chip our rescue dogs. All of my dogs are chipped. It is most important that one registers the chips in their own name and keep it updated if you move or change contact people. All chips are able to be registered to the owner of the dog. Many vets do provide this service but often time at fund raising events for shelters they offer a low cost chip clinic. A great savings and the chips are the same a shelter would use. Avid and Home Again are the most widely used.
yep all 4 of my dogs are chipped with the AVID chip! It's a smart idea incase animal control ever were to pick them all, all rescue/control facilities have a chip scanner. So if your dog ever were to escape without a collar, it's def. a good idea!
Both of our puppies were microchipped by the breeder. We knew we wanted to do it before we even found a breeder.
All three of mine are microchipped. It was done when they were spayed or neutered. It is cheap and well worh it if they ever get lost or stolen (god forbid!!). Some shelters do set it up that it their address it goes to but you should be able to contact the microchip company and get the address changed to yours once you've adpoted them. Ours are AVID chips and we changed it from our vet clinic to us and had to change it again when we moved. ...When I worked in a vet's office, it was so wonderful when someone found a dog, we scanned it and there was a chip!! The pets got to home instead of a shelter!!!
Talula's getting chipped when she gets spayed-- vet recommended to do it then for less trauma!
Make sure that if your corgi is chipped they are also registered!!!! The chip does nothing if they arent registered, just a thought.
My dog was microchipped at her first vet appointment with us. We have checked since she has grown with other vet to make sure it is still where we put it.

It is a great idea to have it since it doesn't usually get lost like the collars do. We once found a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel lost on the street. He had a blue collar, but no tag. We didn't see anyone looking for him, so we took him home, called the animal control to let them know that we will keep him until next day (since they were almost closing for the day). Next day, we drove back to the area where we found him, and saw the flyer all over the neighborhood. We were able to call the number on flyer to reunite him with his owner. We asked him why he had a collar, but no tag. They said that they just bought a new collar for him, but haven't had time to take his tag off his old one. But they said that he is microchipped, so if we took him to the shelter next day, he would eventually been reunited with his owner! Well, we were able to cut that process short since they put gazillion flyers around their house. :) Oh, how did he get out? The gardner forgot to lock the gate to the backyard, and the owner didn't come home for 3 hours after that. We were glad we were able to help! We just hope someone will do the same if our furry daughter gets lost (knock on the wood!)

So, what's the lesson here? Be sure to microchip your dog. It could save you a lot of stress when your furry one gets lost. More importantly, make sure your dog has tag or phone info on its collar at all times. Oh, one more thing. We always keep an extra leash in our car just in case we run into a stray. It became very handy with this Cavalier situation. :)
Thank you for finding the owner!!! I got to do that today as well. I was power walking Payton and noticed a dog runing back and forth across a pretty busy street. Because I had Payton with me and the dogs were of similar color and statue he came over to me pretty willingly. When I checked his collar, all he had was a rabies tag and Home Again tag. I carry my cell phone when I walk Payton as he has epilepsy and should we ever have problems I have it to call for someone to come get us,,,so I called the Home Again number, gave them the tag #, they told me the dogs name, they called the owner and then linked our phone calls so that we could get together to return Dexter to them. They were so grateful and so was Dexter!! ...I was very impressed by Home Again's service. I may enroll mine in their service as well as Avids as a double sure way my babies will be returned to me should they ever be lost. ....So, now I plan to carry an extra leash with me when I walk the dogs as well. I think I'll take your advice and throw one in the cars too as had the owner not been near by I would have had trouble getting the second dog home.
in Sacramento, if you go through the local SPCA it is only $25 to microchip!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service