Ok so I keep tossing and turning. My husband's job takes us overseas. We are about to leave our current post in Ethiopia and will be back in DC for a year.
We currently have three cats and have been emotionally wanting our corgi for about a year now.
Ideally we would like to get said corgi while in DC before our next move overseas. However, our next move (in 2014) will be to Switzerland.
I have done a lot of research and it turns out they are fairly strict about bringing in dogs with docked tails (it is illegal to dock in Switzerland). They won't stop you as long as you have proof that the dog is a family pet and not for resale basically. There are also lots of other laws and regulations such as Swiss dog training classes, Swiss dog license, a European micro-chip (american and European have different types I guess), etc.
All of which I am fine with, however, I am wondering if it would be easier to just wait and get the corgi in Switzerland. This way we know we could add a fourth, and the breeder might be able to walk us through all those extras the Swiss require. I have done research and found a very good breeder near to where we will be living (I contacted people for recommendations on this breeder, all positive).
Our other concern is finding housing there for 4 animals in Switzerland.
I am wondering what other's thoughts are. Get the dog as we would like, this year in the states or should we wait and deal with the puppy and Swiss laws at the same time?
Please understand our Job requires us to live overseas, not having our pets is not an option for us. We have moved with three cats to Africa and they handled it wonderfully.
I reckon it'd just be a lot easier on everyone to source a puppy in Switzerland. Not to mention, if you're after a Pembroke (which I believe you are), there's a great likelihood that it would have its tail! :-) Not sure if that speaks to you or not but it is worth considering.
We are open to tail or no tail. The breeder's dogs in Switzerland are born with tail and natural no tail. This is the breeders website. http://www.moosacher.ch/zucht.html
You could always get a Cardigan and then the tail wouldn't be an issue ;)
If it were me, I'd wait until traveling to Switzerland. It seems like it would be much less of a headache to just get your pup there and avoid a lot of the red tape (and quarantine?) when flying a pup in from abroad.
It would be hard, but I think I would wait. That would be one less move for your new baby to have to make. Good luck whichever way you decide.
no quarantine, thank goodness. I also have been leaning towards switzerland but then I feel we are limited to one breeder.
Have you contacted the breeder in Switzerland? I am sure that they can direct you to other breeders that you may not know about. Most of the breeders I know are pretty friendly about sharing information about other breeders. Then you won't feel limited to one breeder.
I haven't contacted yet, as we are a little over a year from moving to Switzerland, so I felt it was too early to make that contact. I did check out their links page which had a Swiss Corgi Club. On there were only two othere breeders listed for Swiss, one whos page no longer worked and the other hasn't had a litter listed since 2008. Didn't seem promissing. From what I have seen in general,in main land Europe there are less breeders than in America or UK. I have looked at Germany, but even then I will have to deal with import possible issues.
I am kinda again leaning towards getting the puppy before we go. Here is why. A breeder is someone who can help answer questions, possibly support you if you have an emergency with the pup (god forbid), and if there are major health issues should have a warranty of sorts. Getting the dog in Switzerland really only means we have two years of support from this breeder (our post is only two years). While we might not always be in the states, between posts we will be in the DC area and near the American breeders and one day we plan to move back permantly.
I am wondering if the long term benefits of a breeder in states, outways the short term hassels of moving a dog to Switzerland?
If one of you do not speak German, Italian or French fluently then it's true that it could be more awkward to converse with the breeder. Usually the "health warranty" contract lasts up until a certain age of the puppy - I am thinking maybe one year old? You should only be dealing with reputable breeders who have rooted out the more prevalent genetic illnesses from their breeding program anyway. :-)
There are definitely fewer breeders in mainland Europe compared to the U.S. but, generally speaking, I believe there are fewer disreputable BYBs as well. I was told the best way to get in contact with breeders of "rare-ish" dogs like the Welsh Corgi is to contact the breed club of the country directly. MANY do not have sites or listings on the 'net at all. It is worth considering!
Thanks Ludi. We are going to be learning German this next year, as it is required for my husbands job. I get to spend 8 months of intensive language training starting in September. I also know some french and plan to brush up before we depart.
There is an English speaking Swiss forum I found and have been asking on there about breeders. Besides this one, they have only pointed out to other countries, including suggestions of going to England. I will contact the breed club, but doesn't seem like there are many options from the year long searching I have done already.
I agree that only should be getting from a very reputable breeder, that is what we plan to do. But I have also read on breeders pages that along with all the health checks they do they offer health garuntees differing from two to five years of age. That in case the puppy gets a life altering/ending issue they would offer a no puppy at no charge. It is like insurance.
Hopefully this would never happen, but glad to know that the breeder is there to support the owners and is so sure of their puppies they are willing to give such a promise.
I should mention that if we get the puppy in the states, we are aiming for a late summer or fall litter. That way the puppy is with us a significant amount of time before the move.
Das is gute:) German for "that is good:) Gute may not be spelled right. we live in a German community ...
haha I know that much. My husbands grandmother is from Bavaria and is very big into her german club back home. We got an ompa band for her 80th birthday.
My aunt and uncle lived in Austria and Germany for a year during college and speak fluent German. So we are glad to join their ranks and know they will help us when needed. Both our families have much German ancestry and we looove the food.
I have traveled in Switzerland before, and we can't wait to come back.
My husband I talked on the way home from work, that we should make a list of positive negatives of getting the puppy in America v Switzerland. See how it turns out.