Hi All,

I've been reading up on some of the older posts about the different flea, tick, and heartworm prevention. I can't get a feel for the best one/combo. We have been using Trifexis, but I would like something with better reviews. What do you use for your corgi? I would like prevention for all three pests. Indy is one year old and 29 lbs. 

Thanks for your input! 

Views: 375

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Elizabeth, Trifexis is probably one of the best out there that covers all grounds, you won't find anything more powerful than that.

Thanks for the input. Do you recommend that primarily?

Is there any particular reason you don't want to continue using trifexis? That's what we use. 

I had read some negative things about it, but the more research I do, the more I find negative things about all of the others too. I just want to make sure I'm giving Indy the right medicine. 

As someone who is getting a new corgi and doing research on piratically everything, there is not a single thing out there that doesn't have some almost horrific review. I think it just comes with the territory of this new age of information on the web. Even if the bad things happen rarely, you are going to know about it this day and age because those reviews can be the loudest and/or the ones that stick out in your mind the most. I'm of course not saying that you should just disregard all negative comments on a product, you just kinda have weight both the pros and cons together and see if the pros out weight the cons.

Trifexis is the best flea product on the market and is excellent for heartworm too. It is not labeled for ticks but if you do a search of Spinosad (the flea prevention) in Plumb's Veterinary Medication manual it says that it has been shown in studies to kill ticks for up to 30 days. Trifexis manufacturers did not test it for ticks and therefore it has not been labeled as such but I have seen dead ticks on my dogs who are only on Trifexis. We recommend a Preventic collar to our clients who use Trifexis to repel ticks when you are out in tick country, store it in a zip lock bag in your freezer and it can last 6 months to a year. 

That's great to know about ticks. Thanks! 

We use TriHeart for heartworm and Advantix for fleas and ticks. 

Since we are more concerned with ticks than fleas in our neck of the woods (due to high rates of Lyme disease) I need a product that is actually tested on ticks.   And since the spot-on does flea protection, I don't want to double up on the flea stuff by giving an oral that also contains a flea control.

I just use frontline maybe a couple months at tick time as it works for us here in MN. I use Iverguard for heartworm about 6 months out of the year.

A really SCARY thing is I saw an ad for some dollar stores and cheapo places saying they have a product with almost the same ingredients as frontline...I wish I could put an ad out that says "don't use" if it's sold at a dollar store it's probably something even worse than Hartz:(

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service