Gwynnie, 4/8/2003 -- 4/1/2017 alpinist extraordinaire

23rd Most Influential Corgi of 2012 on Buzzfeed (they showed her photo on Mt. Hinman).
First ascent of Fortress Mt., 8750', by a Pembroke Welsh corgi without supplemental oxygen.
She once covered 24 miles (some of it off-trail) in 14 hours with 9000' of total gain.
Nearly 14 years of dedicated performance as Companion Animal.
Pioneered the way for Al's even more remarkable mountaineering and backpacking feats.
Perhaps her greatest achievement was:  all the children in the neighborhood loved to pet her and play with her, and everybody knew her name.

Like Lou Gehrig, another gifted athlete struck down by ALS, the human form of DM, she would have said, "I've had a bad break, but I still consider myself the luckiest dog on the face of the Earth."

We always stuck together, but this time I can't keep up with her, and she's gone on ahead.  We'll catch up someday.

There's a little arrow in a box at the upper right which toggles the slideshow.

Special thanks to Corgi Aid and Bobbie Mayer for providing her Eddie's Wheels turbocharged cart.

Views: 642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rip Gwynn , you were awesome!!

RIP Gwynnie, you were given an awesome life filled with so many adventures thanks to John!

I know Gwynn is still climbing and backpacking.  Such an awesome life she had!  I was always so amazed at her climbing feats and often showed her pictures to my husband.  RIP and may the sweet memories bring comfort and peace to John.

This was a great tribute, John! RIP, little Gwynnie :( thank you for sharing all your adventures with us!

Oh ouch.  My heart is breaking for you.  Such a beautiful tribute to a wonderful companion.   I think you and Gwynnie were very lucky to have each other.   That last picture does me in.   /hugs. 

Oh John my heart breaks for you. I always loved seeing the pictures of your adventures together. Gwynnie will forever hold a special place in your heart and all of our hearts. I'm rather jealous of all the beautiful hikes she got to take. So sorry for your loss. RIP sweet, sweet Gwynnie.

So very sorry for your loss  :(   It is never easy, thinking of you in this difficult time.

Gwynnie will be missed. Thank you for sharing all of her adventures with us. Deepest Sympathies. 

Oh, Gwynnie, we will all miss you so.   She had a beautiful life.   So many of the Corgis who I came to know when I first joined this site have gone on to the great hereafter.   Loved and missed, each and every one.

So sorry to read of little Gwynnie's passing. Such an intrepid adventurer!

Sorry to learn of this loss. What a wonderful dog! What wonderful adventures. And what a wonderful life! <3

John, I just saw your post about Gwynnie.  Down here in Arizona we are very sad for you.  Truly, Gwynnie was one of the great corgis, no fancy title needed.  Reading about your adventures with her brought me a lot of smiles.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service