I'd like to start by saying that we don't care SOLELY about Wheatley being a pure bred Corgi. We love him not matter what.

He supposedly came from a Breeder named Mary Blaine, but we got him 8 days after he was released from his mom at a local puppy store.

Since then I have contacted to Registry and Pet store with no luck.

Wheatley is 8 months old.

We paid to have a copy sent to us. ($50)

And I want to know that when we get him a mate that they're not related.

PLease Help!

Thank you for any advice or help

Views: 2013

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please, please, PLEASE DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

1. You don't even know if he's a purebred.
  2. You didn't even buy him from a breeder, you bought him at a pet store. These places are NOTORIOUS for selling puppy mill litters. If anything, your dog is probably a very poorly-bred pup from a mill in the area.
  3. You don't have any papers or anything for him.
  4. You have paid money, and received no reply from anyone - the people you are trying to do business with are obviously not professional.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT BREED THIS DOG. The world doesn't need more poorly bred puppies. Please, I beg you. Getting this dog neutered will be great for both you, and him. He will not have a chance to make unwanted litters, and you can avoid the risks of testicular cancer later in his life. It can also stem some undesirable behaviors, should he be exhibiting any relating to inter-dog dominance and such. Please do the right thing!!

Okay, First of all, We do not intend to breed him to SELL the puppies. Wheatley is a highly intelligent, VERY sweet and loving boy. IF we have puppies as a result, they would be ours.

We have been guaranteed by the breeder and store that he is purebred, AND he came from a Breeder whom was previously listed and reviewed on this site.

We don't have papers in ERROR, and I'm not looking to get them to prove to "PROSPECTIVE BUYERS" that his offspring are purebred. I am looking to find them so that we wouldn't accidentally get him a related mate.

He is NOT the result of a "puppy mill".

We simply want to have, for our own family, a puppy (or a few) in the future.

Please do not think that we are irresponsible backyard breeders. I would not consider breeding my dog for profit, as I am not trained or knowledgeable in that field.

Wheatley has no dominance, marking, territory or relate behavior problems. And I am aware of the later risks of Cancer. HOWEVER, using the same logic you could presume that if we castrated every human male before they were 30, you'd have no chance of testicular cancer. He will eventually be altered, but we would like to have a litter first.

I do not appreciate you slandering my dog or insinuating that I'm stupid.

Just because you're not doing it for profit, does not somehow exonerate you from BYB status. You do not know the provenance of the dog yet here you are already planning on breeding it. He hasn't been proven or trialed in any discipline, you don't even know if it's a purebred, and your basis for breeding it is that he's sweet?! Why don't you just adopt a shelter pup? There would be the same level of certainty in that dog's heritage as the likely offspring of your current dog.

I'm sorry, but you bought a dog FROM A PET STORE. A reputable breeder doesn't go around peddling their wares to those kinds of places.

Also, I find it hilarious that you think my argument in favour of neutering your dog is somehow applicable to human beings, therefore it's ridiculous. Yes, that's clearly what I was intending - it's not like we're entirely DIFFERENT species, or anything, right?

I'm not slandering your dog. I'm not insinuating that you're stupid, either. I'm saying you got a dog from a pet store, it should NOT be bred because there's already enough puppies in this world without a dog with unknown provenance contributing to them.

In the past this community has been helpful and polite.

You say you aren't slandering my dog, but, you legitamately called him a "poorly bred puppy mill puppy."

My dear, as I have specified, we know that Wheatley is a purbred, and even if he was not, I would want to have descendants of his in the future.

While I appreciate your use of flow chart, I feel as though you are not understanding the entire point of the thread. I asked for advice on how to obtain his lineage in a timely fashion. I did not ask you what you thought of how many dogs I want to have in my family.

I also, explicitly stated that I had every intent of altering him, once he has had a viable litter.

You can absolutely do whatever you please with your animals, and I will continue to do what I please with mine. You are entirely rude, and I do not appreciate your replies, as they are neither helpful nor polite.

Good Luck in your crusade, Bob Barker.

Although, I agree that in most cases neuter and spay is the best policy, I have both the means and time to care for the puppies that we intend to have, and I intend to alter my animals AFTER they become parents.

Thank you for input. And because I abide by the etiquette of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"; I suppose this thread is much like the Titanic in 1912: "Abandon Ship!"

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Whatever, lady.

No responsible breeder would ever, for any reason, put her pups in a pet store. You can do what you like with your dog, of course. You get your papers by filling in the paperwork your breeder gave you on the litter and sending them to akc. They come back in a few weeks. Or you can look up the registration number of dog and bitch. Or you can google their registered names and find show/rally/obedience results with the short pedigree attached. Or you can go to ofa and look up health clearance by registered name and find closely related dogs there, and back trace on your own.

Even farm and backyard breeders usually can provide pedigree info.

Thank you for being helpful.

I did order it by filling in the information, I was just concerned becasue it had been so long and we haven't recieved anything in the mail from them.

Essentially, I was wondering if anyone had contact numbers, because I seem to get busy signals everytime I try on normal business hours.

Amanda, I would like to better understand your question.  A pedigree is a document that shows at least three generations of ancestors, you would not be normally getting this from a pet store.  If the pet store represented the puppy as AKC registered, even if they did not have the paperwork from AKC (blue slip) for you to complete and register him in your name, they should have supplied you with the name and AKC registration number of both parents ( sire and dam ) and the litter registration number, date of birth and name of the breeder of record of his particular litter

What exactly were you given, other than the puppy?  Chances are good that this pet shop puppy comes from a puppy mill.  I see that you live in MD and Pennsylvania is a hotbed of puppy mills. Even puppy mills supply papers or offer AKC puppies.  "Papers" and pedigrees are as good as the person giving them to you and no assurance of quality, or even of being correct.

When someone breeds two dogs and sends the info to AKC, it is automatically accepted, unless a complaint triggers an investigation. In my opinion, all dogs are wonderful, regardless of their origin, but breeding dogs deserves more thought given to it than you seem to be giving it, because  there is more to it than meets the eye.  If you are interested in breeding Corgis, whether for yourself, family members or others, you may enjoy becoming more knowledgeable of all aspects of the breed and breeding and then make your decisions from that vantage point.  The fact that you bought a pup in the manner you describe and have had these problems, happened because you did not know enough about the process to avoid the pitfalls.  The same would apply to breeding dogs, even just one litter.  

You could become an asset to the breed and so could your pups, if you take the time to learn a little more.  It can be a very satisfying thing, although, as any good breeder will tell you, it is not easy, not cheap and has its heartbreaks as well as its joys. 

Anna, thank you for a kind and thoughtful post.

I myself got Kipper from a local pet store before I knew about puppy mills and back yard breeders. I did register him with the AKC so that I could eventually do obedience and agility but he is not show worthy. I originally thought I wanted to breed him but that was just for myself because I loved my dog and wanted to raise his puppies. But I am happy that I did get him neutered, I never met his parents so I know nothing of the breeder or his dogs health conditions. I have also met two of kippers litter mates one from the pet store and one from the breeder his sister who weighs 5lbs less than him and his brother who is slightly larger than him. The breeder kept the females to sell and sold the males to the pet store, The owner of Kippers sister told me how the breeders home was covered in feces and garbage and how he bred him mother right after she was done with her previous litter of corgi x blue heelers. I took a long time to think about and decided that instead of breeding Kipper I was going to adopt a corgi in need. I decided not to breed Kipper because he is not show quality he only weighs 20lbs. I love the breed and want to help stop puppy mills and support reputable breeders and adoption.

I understand where you are coming from and I'm not trying to be mean or hurtful  just share my story and how it took me a long time to understand why people didn't want me to breed my dog and to realize it wasn't the right choice for me or him. Just think about it and do what you think is best for you and your dog.

By the way, I'm sure your dog is sweet and lovely and I hope you have many happy years. But before you continue, PLEASE read up on pet stores and where they get their dogs. Please. One of my all-time favorite dogs ever is a pet store dog (cavalier cocker cross) from a pet store. He's in my agility class and I love him to death and would take him in a heartbeat if his lovely owner ever had a problem. But he's a mill dog, and his loveliness does nothing to change the reality of the lives of the stock from which he was produced.

It's very likely that the pedigree you may eventually receive is not genuine, if you receive one at all.  Pet stores are kind of notorious for putting their customers through the ringer when it comes to getting registration papers/pedigrees.  Sorry you paid $50 for them!  Besides making a lot of phone calls to the pet store (or trying to find the breeder online), I don't know what you could do.  Next time, buy from a reputable breeder, and you won't have all this trouble with the papers.  Better yet, adopt a Corgi if you don't seem to have a preference for exact, predictable temperament/conformation/health.  

Also, I just wanna say I agree with Ludi 100%--breeding your pet shop dog is irresponsible and you just shouldn't do it!  

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service