My husband and I are looking to expand our family with a furry baby. We have completely fallen in love with corgi's and have our heart set on a tri-color pembroke but really want to allow our baby to keep their natural tail. We have contacted about 10 breeders on the east coast with no luck so far each one responding with a resounding no like we're being rude to even ask. We know other countries have banned docking and starting showing corgi's with their tails so have been kind of shocked at the responses we've been getting. We're willing to make a deposit to set aside a pup or whatever. We have found one breeder in Iowa that says she doesn't dock tails, but she doesn't do any health checks either and seems to have breed her dogs three times in one year and that makes us very nervous. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Views: 1055

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pet/3716956083.html
Here is a 4 yr old I. North Carolina, if they still have her

Serious breeders in the US will be breeding to the AKC breed standard for Pembrokes and it specifies no tails.  I asked a well known Pembroke breeder once if she'd let pups out without tails and she said "When the breed standard changes."

Tail docking is not a fashion whim, Pembrokes are a very old breed and tail docking has been part of the breed for nearly 800 years.  No one knows exactly why it was started long ago but respect for the breed and it's history means tail docking continues except in countries where animal rights groups have some power. 

To ask serious breeders of Pembrokes to leave tails on against the breed standard is a bit like asking for a ham sandwich in a synagogue, hence the negative reactions you received when asking. 

So the lack of a tail, the "bunny butt" is famous and historic characteristic with Pembrokes and frankly, when I see one with a tail, I think they look odd.

IMHO, retention of the Cardigans' tails belies any rationalization about docking Pembrokes. It is an invasive thing to do to an animal, and as such, requires a compelling reason.

It's a religious issue.  If you want to start a fight among Pembroke people, start talking about docking.

We bought very expensive magic tails for Al & Gwynnie from our friend the Gypsy lady at the market -- she told us that only people with exceptional refinement and intelligence can see them.

This is the reason Pembrokes originally had their tails docked.  It was not for fashion or any other frivolous reason.  It was all about taxes.

Tail

Most Pembroke Welsh Corgis are born with tails, the ones that are born with tails have them docked between 2–5 days old. The ritual began when they were primarily used as herding dogs in the United Kingdom. According to Tax Law any Pet Dog was considered a Luxury, and therefore Pet Owners were taxed. However working and herding dogs were exempt from the Tax, but to be Tax Exempt the owners had to dock the tails. The Kennel Club,[5] the United Kennel Club,[6] and the FCI allow tails to be shown in conformation, only the AKC Standard states the tails should be docked no longer than 2 inches (5 cm).

Agree with Linda and sometimes people think that it is dangerous for a corgi with tail to "herd" this  is NOT true.

There is also a theory that it was done to keep them from being mistaken for foxes and shot.  If Pembrokes were docked to avoid taxes then other breeds would have been also.  I've never read anything conclusive as to why Pembrokes are docked.  My personal favorite reason is because of an argument long ago between a Corgi and a Welsh fairy.   ;-)

The word corgi has different meanings; it is Celtic for "dog" or cor for "dwarf" and gi for "dog." Whatever the meaning, corgis were originally used as all-around farm dogs, particularly good with cattle. With their low stature, they nip cattle on the heels and then duck to avoid the kicks. Being small, they were less expensive to maintain, and the docked or natural bobbed tail meant that they were working dogs and exempt from taxes.

To me this does make sense and that the people with lots of money had to pay taxes on their "fancy" dogs...

Jane....never heard that some people think it's dangerous for a Pem to herd without a tail.  They have been doing it for a very long time.  I know not having that so-called "rudder" has never stopped any of mine from making turns on a dime, forget trying to ever grab one when it's flying by.

I guess I am surprised that many people only think of them as "herding" dogs as is sheep herding.  They are drovers.  Dogs that are traditionally sheep herding dogs do it by intimidation, no barking.  Corgis are known barkers because horses and cattle are not intimated easily, they use barking and nipping at the heels to move their charges along.  That's why they can change course and do the drop and roll so fast...to avoid being kicked. They were also used to drive geese to market...anyone who has been around geese know how nasty they can get.

I think this video best explains the corgi's role on a working farm. Like Linda says, these dogs were/are primarily cattle drovers. They're loud, they're nippy, and they don't take any s--- from any animal! I love watching them work. :-)

This video has renewed my drive to find somewhere around here that will allow Ellie to herd.  It's shockingly difficult despite the fact that I live in farm country!

Linda...I stated "with a tail". I have a pup that is a great herder tail and all and she started with sheep. The 1st thing the sheep also try to do is to intimidate the dog and see if it backs down. I think there's a video of her on here also. My one goat  that I have left will stand on his back legs and it's fun to see the different reactions but Livvy means business. Wynn gets my chicks in when I ask him but doesn't usually have to BUT he is there checking them from the day we get them. All I have to do is say "Wynn, go get the chicks" and he will:)

Ludi....loved the video!  And who won that stand off...the 35 lb corgi or the 700 lb cow.  LOL!  That was perfect to show what they truly do on a working farm.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service