Is is so sad to look on the site every day and see so many Corgis looking for a new home. Today there are what, 3 of them. I hope everyone out there even thinking about breeding their Corgi will make sure they are not adding to an already serious problem. Because of the recent upswing in popularity of the Corgi they are being over bred. Many people are obviously getting Corgis without knowing what they are really getting into, silly when so much information is available online. We all think our dogs are just the best in the world and many think they need to pass on their dogs great traits by having a litter of pups. This kind of thinking is in most cases just wrong. Please everyone consider what happens to Corgis who end up homeless or unwanted in the first place. Not everyone out there is a qualified breeder and not every dog is a good candidate for breeding. Folks think about spay/neuter for your Corgi and if asked about your Corgi by someone, be honest about the good and bad about Corgi ownership. If you are thinking about getting a Corgi, read posts on sites like this one and do some research. Corgis are not the right dog for everyone.

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I could not agree more! We always tell people that corgis shed profusely and require a family willing to take some classes. I love puppies but will always spay and neuter because I do not have the kind of commitment I think a responsible breeder should have.
There don't seem to be too many in rescue in this section of the country, but it does seem to be a worse problem elsewhere. I routinely put Corgis into Petfinder and often the closest one is a few hundred miles away. But point well made.

I'm always hesitant when we walk Jack and people ask about Corgis. I have commented to my husband that when people see what a nice dog you have, they DON'T see the two years it took getting him to this point. I always tell people three things when they ask about owning one:

1) They shed, a LOT. As in hair everywhere for 4 months out of the year, and some light shedding year-round. I go into great detail about getting enough hair for a whole new dog every week. This seems to turn most casual askers completely off, which is probably just as well.

2) They definitely need a good walk every day. I hesitate on this one, because I don't think some people really get it when you say "every day." Every day is not when it's nice out, or when you have time. The only time Jack does not get a walk is if it's pouring, if it's so icy that it's dangerous for the dog to walk (I'll wear cleats for myself), and if it's below 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

3) And buy from a good breeder. We are near puppy-mill territory in Amish country, and I tell people a poorly-bred Corgi can be nippy and nasty.

Corgis are not difficult dogs, per se, but they do require a lot of time to keep them happy. A bored Corgi is an awful dog to live with.
OH the shedding, yeah I bet that stops people right away. Corgis are pretty rare in my area, and we traveled over 2 hrs to get Ella. However the place we got her was a small farm version of a puppy mill, so I understand the need to really limit breeding. In my area it seems that labs are way over breed, and with the economy in Michigan being so bad, people just can afford their dogs and cats anymore.
No, they are not difficult, but people think that they are the same as chuhuahua ar yorkie or some other lap breed. They are not. Yes, they are small but they need tons of exercise.
The fact that these dogs are used to herd cattle really says it all. They are tough little guys and need lots of mental stimulation and walks. They're smart and independent as well.
I totally agree with the exercise that they need. Last night took Oppy for about a half hour walk and the little guy plopped down on the floor when we got back (during the walk he was doing his bulldog impression by letting his tongue hang out the side of his mouth). But within 10 minutes or so of resting, he was fully recharged and running circles around the room (and I mean full fledged running, top speed, which is actually really funny to watch since we're in a 1 bedroom apartment and he has to dodge tons of stuff).
One thing I've learned from our acquaintance with Al & Gwynn's breeders is:
What a big deal this is, what a big commitment it is, how much expertise goes into serious dog breeding. Not for amateurs. Example: Carrie asked us for a last look at Al before we neutered him; she took one quick look and immediately decided he was a bit cow-hocked and not breeding material. I had no idea what she was seeing or talking about.
Part of that commitment is being willing to take back any puppy, no questions asked, if necessary. Think of that.
I get the feeling that serious breeders have a feeling for the ability to place their pups in forever homes, and definitely aren't in it for money.
Amen sister!
I live in the northwest and I find it funny that people always approach me to pet the cute corgis and tell me their whomever had/has one too but I never see other corgis around except the ones I've met through the corgi meetups maybe corgis are just more popular in some parts of the country than others. I've also never been questioned by any of these people about where mine came from or how they could get one.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service