poor teddy is having runny yellow poos all day and i have a feeling its my fault. for the past 2days its been so busy teddy has pretty much been in kennal for long periods of  time, not by choice but we had some major problems going on with our pay and our house. we gave him toys and kongs before we left.

so thats the big part. another is last night to make it up to him i gave him a cow knee bone that i just bought and he ate quit a bit of it and it was about 9pm. in the back of my mind i knew it wasnt a good idea but i felt bad. well now he has really bad yellow runny poos. this morning he had to go so bad he was screaming in his kennal. mind u even as a pup i haven ever heard even a peep from him. i gave him 2table spoons of canned pumpkin and it helped a little but now i know that for the next 2-3 days if the runny poos arnt better in the morning i wll be feeding him boiled chicken and rice. but how much do i give him? hes 26pounds

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you might want to try bananas and applesauce together - natural kayopectate (like for children and the BRAT diet - bananas, applesauce, rice and toast) my sister had a puppy with these issues and as a pediatric RN, thought, what would I do for a child... BRAT and it worked.
thats a good idea to try:) im sure he would love that
The boiled chicken and white rice just mix 50/50 and you can give him the same amount that you give of kibble. Also make sure he has TONS of fresh water, and probably wouldn't hurt to make his chicken/rice or kibble soupy to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.
o yes i make sure he always has water out for him. i gave him kibble this morning but it didnt agree with him. i got him some brown rice, will that be ok?
brown rice should be ok, white rice is preferred, you can also use cottage cheese or plain skinned russet potatoes instead of rice. It usually takes a couple of feedings to get there system back to normal. Usually feed the chicken/rice for a day or two past his first firm stool just so you can help his GI system recover. It is not unusual to see a little bit of blood in the stool if they have really frequent bouts of diarrhea so don't freak out if that happens tomorrow. You can search the internet for bland diets and can find all kinds of options to feed, but stick with one type of bland diet, don't mix a bunch of things
Fell better soon Teddy!
thank you, i sure hope he feels better soon
When Sophie got the the runs really bad the vet had me fast her for 24 hours to give her system a break. So if the chicken and rice don't work, try fasting him - water only for 24 hours and then start with the rice and chicken, also canned pumpkin (just the plain) really helps with the runs too. It is really hard to not feed them for 24 hours - but it will make a world of difference. ALSO, have you called your vet and asked what they suggest you do?

I gave Sophie a smoked ham bone about a month ago and it made her real sick so I will never give her one of the smoke bones again.
since we only moved here a little bit ago i havnt been able to find a vet i like:( i called a few but wouldn't help me at all so i just went with what i learned from this site.

if the chicken and rice dont work i will be sure to fast him, poor guy! its going to be hard but i think he will be all right. i didn't give him any dinner so his system could try and calm down and he is acting like i have been starving him for weeks lol

i gave him canned pumpkin this morning and this late after noon and it has firmed up but still, about every hour he is asking to go out
When the boys have gotten sick, I just give about a tablespoon or two of the chicken and rice every hour, for a day, then upping to 1/4 cup at a time every few hours if day 1 goes well. If you don't think there's a parasite problem (which it doesn't sound like is the case here) or something that would need to work it's way out of his system, you can always give him some actual Kaopectate. I mix it in with either the chicken and rice or a little kibble when Ragnar gets loose stools--which he almost never does unless he eats cat poo in the park, the nasty devil.
lol o yea teddy loves cat poop too. i dont think its a parasite infection as he gets dewormed once a month with his iveheart heart worm prevention. he had firm stools this morning but i have been fooled before by this so i gave him his chicken and rice this morning which he loved! no poop yet but once he goes again i will have to see where i am at. when do i introduce the kibble again? if does good today do i give half of his kibble to him in the morn tomorrow?
I would think as long as he has no problems today then you can resume his kibble tomorrow. It doesn't sound like he will mind having chicken and rice today!!! lol - happy to hear he is doing better!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service