Hi, I have been looking around petfinder and google for Corgi's to rescue from a shelter or buy from a breeder.

Even though I want a tri-color, I am willing to open my home to a young to adult dog especially when there are the benefits of little to no housebreaking and a dog that is possibly more comfortable around people.

However, the dogs that I see in the DC area for adoption are in the 6+ year old range, some as high as 8 to 10.

Is 6-8 years old too old to adopt?

Am I setting myself up for a buddy that is too old to train or play with or won't have enough time to be my companion?

Thanks.

Views: 3745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For myself, at this point in my life, six would probably be the upper limit of what I'd look for if I were searching for a dog. 

However, if someone left a ten-year-old Corgi tied to my bannister, I would probably keep it.  :-)   My husband and I have already discussed (when we found the Pom) that while we don't want a third dog, we could cope if a third dog in need landed on us.

My response was poorly worded because I'd just woken up and my brain was not fully engaged.  I was responding the the rhetorical "If we don't take them, who will?"  which I KNOW was meant in the warmest of spirits.   The person who should take home any dog is the person who feels that dog meets their lifestyle, and many dogs who are adopted end up going back through the system several times because someone takes them home and finds they don't match their lifestyle.  I know some shelters with high populations have "seniors for seniors" programs where they match older dogs with older humans who are looking for something not quite so active.

Haha Beth - I would say people should stop having kids and adopt any day! There is also a growing younger population who believes this as well. If I ever have children, this is the path I will follow as well. :)
Absolutely not!!  These make the greatest, most loving pets you can ever find.  Pretty much all of mine have been rescues, and they have all been wonderful.  They sincerely know that you rescued them.  About the only backside to it, is that you have less years to enjoy them.  You get to bypass all the teenage stubborn years, and infant potty-training.  We rescued Jackson last year, and he is 8 years now.  He is absolutely the best dog, besides my Dillon....

My older Corgi is 7, and he is full of beans, just started learning agility, and I hope has many years ahead of him.  So I don't think 7 is too aged for a new home.  But the conversations above are all so interesting -- and the bottom line, you have to do what's right for you, that's certainly true.  So, I have a suggestion!  If this guy is good with other dogs, why not adopt him, have some time together to bond and adjust -- and then look for a younger one!!!!!  Corgis are after all like potato chips, you can't stop with just one....

Just kidding, thinking big.  ;-)

I sort of skimmed through some of the replies...but have you contacted any breeders and asked if they had any older dogs they were looking to place? Often times breeders will have retired show dogs that they are looking to find loving homes for, or even older puppies they held on to but didn't turn out the way they wanted for showing.

Jane, I was going to contact breeders next for young adult corgi's.

I have also been looking on Petfinder and Google for adoptees in the DMV area.

I did find this guy here: http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/dexter-needs-a-forever-home and added to that discussion, I wonder if he is still available?

Breeders will sometimes place young adults who didn't pan out, as Jane says.  They might also place retired show dogs who they won't breed for some reason, or three-year-olds who had a litter and are done. 

And adolescence is actually a prime time in life (sadly) for dogs to be surrendered.  But depending on where you are in the country, rescue Corgis may be scarce.  And (though it's not PC to say so) in many areas, spay-and-neuter programs have been so successful that there are thankfully very few dogs of any type in the shelters at all;  I know from reputable news sources that many rescues and shelters actually import dogs from other parts of the country because they have so few.   So how easy it is to find a non-puppy in need of a home depends a lot on where you are.

Of course I meant "we" as the general human population, not any specific person. Meaning it's a good thing that there is a match somewhere for a senior dog, rather that routinely euthanizing homeless dogs over the age of 5. The same could be said, for instance, for pit bulls and pit mixes, which take up around 85% of the shelter population here in San Diego. The shelters give them a chance and hopefully place them in good forever homes. However, I personally would not consider adopting a pit. It's a matter of what is a good match for you as an individual, and it's a good thing to think very carefully about before jumping right into it.

I adopted a very fit 10-year old Corgi earlier this year.  We knew his history.  He came from a very good home and was never abused.  He is the best dog EVER!  He gets along great with my younger dog who is a very high strung dog.  Having the more mature 10yr old Corgi has helped calm down my younger guy.  The 10yr old is the "Alpha" which my younger dog really needed.  We bonded with the 10yr old just like any other dog we have owned and he is a great addition to the home.  Plus, it really makes you feel good to adopt an older dog that you know would otherwise have a more difficult time finding a home. 

Rescue dogs rock! All dog will require work regardless of their age, it just depends what you are willing to give and looking for. I totally recommend adopting. You will NOT regret it, plus you are saving a life...pretty cool feeling! :)

Good Luck

Two of the best corgis we have ever adopted were 11 and 13 1/2 when they became part of our family.  Both Angus and Rudy were lively and active.  Angus especially would wear us out.  As long as someone threw a stick or a ball, he would bring it back and beg for more.  Our only regret was that we didn't have them longer to love, but the grief of parting with them was by far overcome by the love they gave us and by knowing that their last years were happy and comfortable.

I encourage people to give senior critters a chance.  And 6 or 7 for a corgi is by no means senior.

I adopted my MaGuire at 10 - two months shy of 11.  I would not trade the 3.5 years I had with him for anything (or a younger dog).  He still had plenty of energy, was a great companion and was playful.  My only regret is that we didn't have more time together.  I kept that in mind when I adopted him.  I didn't take him for granted as I knew we had limited time.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service