Is your corgi loose, crated or seat-belted when driving in your car?

The corgi car discussion made me wonder how all the corgi lovers drive around with their corgis in the car? Do you leave them loose riding shotgun or with the kids in the back, placed in a doggie seat belt apparatus, or in a crate? I drive a Honda Accord and mostly Lilly is loose(leash on) with my girls in the back seat. She also loves to put her front feet on the center console and look out the windowshield. Occasionally she curls up in the passenger seat. She is never allowed on me when I drive. Sometimes I feel like that is being a bad mom and I'm thinking about setting up a seat belt thing. What do all of you do?

Views: 1917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is how mine ride now. Nala is not very fond of it, but she is learning. Cosmo on the other hand, loves it!

Nala is the Corgi. Cosmo is the Rat terrier mix.
Ha! Ha! In the picture, Nala looks perfectly content and Cosmo is protesting- very cute!
Maddie's second trip in the harness. My husband had to ride in the back the first time, but she got the hang of it:

Whether I'm in my tiny commuter car or the hubby's suv, Birdie is always crated. We were almost hit by a van last week, and had to slam on the brakes to avoid being hit by a driver who had run a red light.
I was shaken and worried that the hard braking could have injured little 7-month old Birdie.

But when I pulled to the side of the road to check her, she was totally unharmed. Thank goodness. I'm a big believer in crates.
Because Tucker goes to work with me everyday he rides in a crate that is strapped in with the seat belt in the back seat. I travel 42 miles round trip in pretty heavy traffic. I feel this is the safest thing for my little buddy. He loves his crate and can't wait to get into it.
We initially crated both Soffie and Griffyn. Then we graduated them to harnesses in the back seat of our Odyssey when Soffie was two and Griffyn was one. They transitioned well to the harnesses. But every once in a while we still use the crates.

As a safety issue I don't think any animal should be loose in a vehicle. And I can give personal 1st hand experience as to why. A couple years ago I was driving my sister and a friend south from New Hampshire to Florida. We were travelling south on I95 when out of the blue a guy driving a small 4 door sedan came flying across the highway from the entrance ramp, struck the Lincoln Town Car I was driving setting it into a 360 spin!! Then we were hit again and spun back the other way, eventually sliding backwards down the middle lane of the highway with cars speeding past us!!! My sister's little Daschund and her friend's little Peekapoo were loose in the vehicle (not my choice!) My sister held onto her little one but the little Peekapoo took the "wild ride" back and forth in the back seat literally FLYING through the air!! He was sitting on the seat beside his owner.

We all walked away, but..... fast forward. A year after the accident my sister lost her Daschund to a severe spinal injury. And two years after the accident the little peekapoo has lost one eye because of a detached retina. Both injuries could possibly have been lingering effects from that car accident.

We wear seatbelts. Why wouldn't/shouldn't we provide the same safety for our beloved pets?!
AMEN!!!!
My puppy class instructor was fond of calling dogs who were not secured somehow in the vehicle (be it in a crate/harness/seat belt/whatever) puppy projectiles. She was very vocal about the importance of having a dog secured within a vehicle (for both their safety, and yours...what if that puppy projectile hit you when you had an accident!)

We keep Casey crated in the car. We gave her an opportunity to be out once, just to see if she would like it (so we put the crate in the back seat, but opened the door so she could get out and walk around the back seat if she wanted) and she stayed in her crate the entire time. I think she's uncomfortable being outside her crate in the moving vehicle. I also think it would be very distracting for me, because I’d constantly be wondering what she was doing back there, if she was chewing on something she shouldn’t be (like the seat cushions) or if she was going to the bathroom – these are obviously more concerns one would have with a puppy (which I have) than with a reliable adult dog. With the crate, I’ve got the peace of mind knowing she can’t get into any trouble, and I can brake sharply/take tight corners without thinking she’ll be injured.
Both my dogs ride in a travel crate in my Honda Element. It is much safer than a seatbelt or riding free in the car.

I was in a car accident a year and a half ago and I thank my lucky stars I didn't bring one of my dogs with me that day. Back then, they wouldn't have been crated, they would have simply been seatbelted in and would have likely died because of it. I always tell clients to invest in a good seatbelt or - if their car can fit it - use a sturdy crate to travel with. Crates protect the dog during a roll-over situation and also prevent ejection out of the vehicle due to a sudden stop.
Orion and Laika sit in the passenger seat of my Honda civic with the leash clipped into the seat belt but as soon as they get to their adult size I'll be getting harnesses that buckle into the seatbelt so they can sit in the back and be buckled in for longer drives. I go to school in Austin and visit my family in San Antonio often and its a 1.5 hour drive and I'd prefer them to be safe in the back.
I think you are a good mom...i let my dogs move around, but do not sit on me when i drive...they usually ride in the back seat, or in the back of the truck...
I guess being secured is the best idea...i crate my dogs at night, and always leash them when out and about...
do what works, but be safe-)
Kristen
Working at a ER Vet Hospital I have seen many dogs come in with life threatening injuries, they were loose in the car. Oscar is always seat belted in his doggie chair. I would rather be extra safe than have Oscar have an injury that could of been prevented. I would feel so guilty

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service