Is your corgi loose, crated or seat-belted when driving in your car?

The corgi car discussion made me wonder how all the corgi lovers drive around with their corgis in the car? Do you leave them loose riding shotgun or with the kids in the back, placed in a doggie seat belt apparatus, or in a crate? I drive a Honda Accord and mostly Lilly is loose(leash on) with my girls in the back seat. She also loves to put her front feet on the center console and look out the windowshield. Occasionally she curls up in the passenger seat. She is never allowed on me when I drive. Sometimes I feel like that is being a bad mom and I'm thinking about setting up a seat belt thing. What do all of you do?

Views: 1922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I drive a Jeep. Ella is ALWAYS buckled in. I have three different harness points for her so she can be moved depending on passengers and weather (no top is no fun for a corgi when its raining). 2 of the points are tied in to the isobars in the back of the jeep (These are the bars that a lot of child safety seats hook into. Basically it is like a cargo tie point on the floor.) The third point is in the passenger seat with a harness that hooks into the seatbelt. This is my least preferred method and the one I use only in bad weather since I put the bikini top on. The ones in back latch into her harness. The harness is a shoulder harness to help prevent her neck being injured if something does happen. I am going to be ordering a new system though once they release the new model at www.ruffrider.com because of the safety issues related to many harnesses and crates. The safest way according to a study in Germany is to have your dog crated in the trunk area if you have a vehicle that you can do that or on the floor behind a seat if you don't. If neither of those works then a harness without a D ring is your next safest bet IF it links into an isobar. The harnesses that link into 2 isobars are the safest, but for american made cars that usually isn't possible. If you can't crate I suggest you look at the ruffrider website. even though it uses a carbiner for SUVs it is still safer than a lot out there because of the design. No D rings to fail and the carbiner that you they tell you to use is a 24kn (24kilonewtons). 24kn is 5394.5 lbs of force. That is better than our seatbelts are rated.

Edit: I should note that harnesses that tie directly into the seat belt system (meaning it uses the entire system instead of latching where the seatbelt latches) are generally not as safe as the isobar style because it still allows some forward movement before it locks. For us this is not a big deal, for a dog in a harness that little bit of movement could be just enough to hit something.
I drive a Mitsubishi with my two corgi girls in doggie seat belts on the back seat. I like the design of the doggie belt as it has a good padded support on the chest, braces around the shoulder and under the tummy. They are still able to poke their noses between the front seats & look out the window. I have to put the child lock on if I want to keep the windows up as both Holly & Amber can put them down. I like the belts as I feel it keeps them safe when I drive.
Edison sits in the foot-spot of the passenger's side seat. He curls up and sleeps on the passenger's feet as long as the car is going fast. If it slows down, he sometimes climbs up on the gearshift, eager to know where we are. :)
We let them roam the backseat. Now that we have two, I make them sit in the back so they don't fight for my attention if I'm in the passenger seat and my husband is driving. They don't like my car much because it's small, so we usually take the SUV if they go places with us. Most of the time they just lay on the floor, but on occasion they'll get on the seat and look out the windows.
Camber is either shotgun or in the back seat if we are both in the front. No seat belt or crate. Funny to watch her dig the claws when going fast around the corner. Back seat is heated for the winter months.
My spikes starts out in the back seat but him being sneaky crawls up to shot gun and ends up in my lap looking out the window
When we had Odie, Lucky would lay in the back of the Explorer and was quite happy - we had one of those metal thingies that go across the back, but neither tried to come up front. After Odie crossed over the R.B. Lucky has hated the car, he hates crates. We now drive a Subaru and the old guard does not fit, son uses in his Explorer. Sonny would drive if we let him, but is way too large for that, so he travels on the passenger seats or floor, wherever he is comfotable and Lucky is in the back. Lucky will shake the whole time and lose enormous amounts of fur just the 26 miles to town. It was 40 or so miles in to grooming and it was terrible for both of them - they hate the car! I cannot firgure out how to get them to like it (Sonny was traumatized in his former family in traveling) We just try to make them both comfortable and let it go at that.
Baron only rides secured in his crate. I hate to sound like a downer, but as a nurse and former medic. I don't want Baron to become a projectile. Most accidents occur within 1 mile of your home.
So...last night we had a fire in our canyon. we live on a country road that dead ends - about 20 houses or so. There are about 1500 residents on what used to be a working ranch years ago and now is a sort of subdivision of a town 15 miles away, 10 miles or so to the highway. There is only 1 way in and out of the "subdivision" Anyway, as we watched the flames, called the fire department, we planned our getaway! The corgi boys and the cat were put in the back bedroom as my husband went to meet the fire department to direct them HELLO, can they not find their way? Anyway, how do we pack the boys and the cat for departure? The cat carrier is on loan so she would have to ride in with Sonny if we crated everyone! Or, we could put her in a backpack. I am not sure we can get 2 crates in the Subaru, we will be trying today. I guess one should think of these things BEFORE the fire happens...
Carol...Is everyone okay? Oneway in and out is not a very good thing :) Did the fire department put the fire out or were you evacuated? Pretty scary in Central Oregon when we have thunderstorms !!!

Let me hear from you,
Chris
In this situation I would get everyone in as good as I could. Good luck with the cat. My cats hate to go in the carrier, but I can't let them loose or they would run away. Wish you the best of luck. What is the fire department doing to help out. Please let us know how you make out.

Teresa and Baron
Well, fire dept took FOREVER to get down to us! I think everyone on our road called - those with cell phones get transfered from one county to another and finally to our department, what a mess! Luckily, we have a land line and were the first to see and call - we had a direct view. We at first thougt it a house, it was ONLY a juniper, but they go up fast and hot, it could have gone from tree to tree all the way down the canyon to the BLM land and back around on our sde. It really is scarey out here in Central Oregon - we did have a fire out here 3 or 4 years ago and it was a mess with only one way out - there used to be a sortof second road out that some agency in their wisdom closed.
The fire dept waited for everyone to get to the dept and then broght every truck in the place - my husband and the residents from down here are going to meet with our new chief to let him know that they should bring one truck with the resident fighters and then dispense the rest of the trucks!! As it turned out, we did not need all the trucks, but by waiting, we might have needed county wide trucks. As far as the dogs, we plan to shove them in the car, they hate it, but too bad, and put the cat in a back pack since her carrier which she hates is on loan if we ever have to go again.
Today is so boring! we had also had wild turkeys in our yard at dinner time last night so the evening was full of excitement. we luckily have friends about 30 miles away who would put us and the pets up - they hate all cats but ours!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service