I have a 6 year old Cardigan male that suddenly today lost use of his rear.  Yesterday, fine acting quite normal.  I know that the Cardi's are prone to IVDD and perhaps suspected it and had him at the vet within the hour.  The vet is pretty knowledgable but like most local vets aren't necasarily completely up to date on the breed specific issue's and what to look for on IVDD suspect x-ray.

We also wanted to rule out any obvious issue's, tumors, fractures, etc.  What we did find was two discs that were seemingly close together and in that same area some erosion of cartilidge of the tissue around the discs.  He compared it to osteoperosis.

Surgery was recommended and we're considering it but want to know that the prognosis of it is good. 

Also, we have available to us either Oklahoma University , Kansas University and Missouri University as surgery options.  Anybody have input on who might be preferred or if they are all equally capable.

Does this sound like IVDD and can it set in so quickly?

Views: 993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Wind Dial, if i was in your situation, I would get a board ceritified Neurologist for proper diagnosis. Most likely they'll either do an MRI or CT scan of your Cardi's back to determine how severe the condition is. Then you can weight your options and go from there. Also join the wheel corgis yahoo group.
Some vets try a conservative approach at first with prednisone to reduce the inflammation, and strict cage rest.  If your baby actually lost use of his leg though, sounds like a definite candidate for surgery. Poor guy!  I've seen many dachshunds have sudden onset IVDD, and recover very well from the surgery.  The neurologist may do a myelogram to see exactly where the spine is compressed.  This is where they actually inject dye around the spinal cord to get a clearer picture than an x-ray.  I agree with Sam, just make sure it's a board certified neurologist, and go with who your vet is comfortable with.  Hope it all works out ok.

Aber had the surgery last year.  His problem was more gradual, but we think he'd had a couple of milder episodes, starting around age 4 (he was 9 1/2 when he had the surgery).  But yes, it can happen fast.  And the sooner you act on it the better.  Our vet tried prednisone for a couple of days, and he got worse, not better, so he ended up at an emergency vet which turned out to be a little shady.  They were only interested in getting cash, and put off doing a thing for him until they had it.  I think that, and lack of proper surgical follow up, is why he still isn't walking and won't.  The emergency vet, by the way, went out of business a few weeks after his surgery--never bothered to tell us or give a referral.  

With a good surgeon, and quick action, and proper follow up and therapy, however, your dog should be fine.  Aber has a brother from a different litter who had the same issue.  He was an agility champ and just went down at 7 years.    His owner had access to a teaching hospital with water therapy and everything top shelf in terms of care (she even built him a salt-water pool for therapy at home) and he is completely recovered now--can't even tell anything happened.

I went through something similar with our female.  She blew a disc, I got her to the vet ASAP and then on to Univ of Ga. Vet school for surgery by the next day.  She did not lose use of her back end but it is my understanding that surgery can correct control loss. 

AJ did very well she had to stay for 3 or so weeks at the vet hospital following surgery.  She went through most of her "rehab" there.  We brought her home and walked her according to the vet protocol and she did very well.  That has been about 6 years ago and due to some gasto problems recently the vet did some extensive xrays and her back still looked good. 

To answer your question there can be a sudden onset of back issues.  I number of people have indicated that crate rest and steroids were sucess for them however surgery was our best option.  I am not close to your area and therefore can not gauge the vet schools. 

Ziggy went for surgery at Kansas State University,,,,we had him there by midnight and in surgery by 4am.  The doctor that did it had just finished his board certification and was  very knowledgeable. They did a CAT Scan and pinpointed the affected area of compression. 

He woke up and within 2 hours ate a little bit of food. His post op progress has been fantastic and very progressive get to bring him home tomorrow.

Scan showed a 50% blockage and the steroid therapy would have been a very low prognosis for this situation. 

Best of luck to Ziggy!
Speedy recovery Ziggy!
I should have kept reading. Good news to know that Ziggy is in such awesome care. All the best to you with best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I bet Ziggy is going to feel much better now!

Zig came home today with a glowing report for the surgeon and interns watching over him. They were very surprised and pleased at how fast he is recovering.

I am putting this part in here for anybody who ever reads this forum discussion or googles from the midwest area. I highly recommend Kansas State University for the procedure.  I can't speak on the behalf of Oklahoma but the care received at KSU for this case was superb and above and beyond.  Quite affordable too considering, not cheap, but very reasonable and all the bit as professional and state of the art as anything I've ever seen.

What wonderful news! Hooray for Ziggy and Hooray for the vets and staff at Kansas State!
Just wanted to say how happy I am to hear Ziggy is doing so well!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service