Jack and the Easter Cake: Let's hear funny food stories!

Let's hear your funny "Corgi and food" stories!

Neither of my dogs actively beg, though both will sit hopefully nearby when we eat.  They will crowd my husband because he sometimes gives them bits of apple or popcorn.  

However, there are some things they know they get and then it's another story.  We sometimes give them scrambled eggs, and we always toss them a few bits of breakfast cereal if we're having that in the morning.  They'll get a little lettuce when we're making a salad, and the tiniest crumb of cheese if we're making a sandwich.

For the foods that the dogs know they will get, Jack will helpfully remind us if we "forget."  He's so thoughtful!  :)   He'll sit in the kitchen and say "Huph" under his breath, wait 30 seconds and say "Huph" again.  So if for instance we have scrambled them an egg and it's cooling on the counter; or if my husband "forgot" to give them their obligatory 2 bits of cereal, he'll "huph" in the kitchen til we "remember" his share.  

That's the backstory.

For Easter, I made a lemon pound cake and baked it in a Bundt pan.  Those of you who bake may know that "depanning" can be difficult with a Bundt.   Well, last Saturday, a fancy dessert was not to be.  I tried every trick I knew, but the cake came out of the pan in bits.  I'd say about two-thirds came out on the first attempt.  After much effort, about another sixth came out, then a chunk, then a section, and so on.  It was a moist cake so I managed to cobble it back together (thank goodness it was for family and not a formal occasion!).  But in the process, a big hunk fell on the floor.

Jack managed to get a nice big hunk before I got it away.  Poor Maddie was too slow on the uptake and missed her share.  But... well, I guess Jack now thinks that lemon Bundt cake is on the list of "food the dogs get."   

I put the cobbled-together cake on the counter to cool.... and Jack sat in the kitchen the entire time, saying "Huph" very helpfully, every minute or so.  No pacing, no whining, just patiently lying on the kitchen floor.   "Huph.   (pause pause pause)  Huph."   

I put the cake in a covered cake-carrier and he figured no more was coming his way, but the next morning I glazed it and left the carrier open for the glaze to set while we ate breakfast and, you guessed it:  "Huph" the entire time. 

There were leftovers which went in the freezer.  The other night my husband and I got a piece out and left it to thaw on the counter.  Jack ignored it while it was wrapped, but when we cut it in pieces and left it on plates to come to room temperature, well back he went to lying patiently on the floor, "reminding" us that he had not yet had his share.  

Silly Corgis!

Anyone else have funny food stories?  I'm sure there are lots out there!

Views: 3072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I cook, Edison comes and sits at my feet.  When my husband cooks, Edison settles down on the rug under the kitchen table.  No prizes for guessing which one of us regularly dishes out the lettuce stubs and carrot peelings...
So funny, just this morning Bootsie got a 100 calorie right bite pack. He tried so hard to open it but everytime I looked over at him he stopped. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that he had his head down but his eyes were on me to make sure he could stop in time should I look over.

Haha! Jack sounds like quite a character!  This story made me laugh, thanks for sharing

I swear that I thought any minute you were gonna say that he got on the counter while the cake was glazing and got the whole cake!!!!!  Yea we can't get anything away from Solomon if it hits the floor!!!!
Ewww I just read the drool thing, and that reminded me of when we first got Solomon.  I vowed that we were not going to feed him from the table.  So Solomon sits and gives us both this intense stare, we call it the "Corgi Shark" stare.  I'll never forget it, we were eating dinner and we both were doing a good job of ignoring his stare, occassionally we would look at each other and giggle, all of the sudden my husband looks at Solomon and says "OMG what is that hanging out of his mouth like a necklace?"  I thought Solomon had gotton a hold of one of my chain necklaces but upon closer inspection and touching it, it was a slobber chain.   EWWWWWWW.  My husband refers to that all the time when we eat that he is so hungry that hes gonna get a slobber chain!!!

I discovered a few odd ones that Brody has.  The first year we had him and I was growing vegetables, I picked my first ripe tomato, laid it on the grass outside of the garden fence, turned my back and he took a big CHOMP out of it.  Guess what he had with his dinner.  Another one is the raspberries, when I'm picking them he will sneak up behind me and take them out of the bowl that's on the ground between my feet.  Now he knows that it he sits back under the tree I'll toss him the overripe ones.  He also loves it when we peal apples and some drops on the floor.  Definitely does the hmpf (mostly when he hasn't had dinner by 5:00) and they both do the drool thing.

There are ornamental crab apples in the park and they drop little berry-sized crabapples.

Nothing eats those things.  The park is crawling with birds and mice and squirrels, and also foxes, raccoons, skunks and coyotes.  I'm guessing winter isn't easy for some of those critters, but the berries sit on the ground all winter and not a soul will eat them.

Except Maddie.

Let her loose to play with other dogs, and she runs around for a second then runs off to eat them.  We try to minimize it because apple seeds are toxic, but these things are so tiny I don't even know if they have seeds.

Yep.  A winter-starved raccoon won't touch them, but my well-fed Madison gobbles them up as fast as she can. 

I have a funny Maddie story too, but it was told to me by her breeder.

Maddie had one litter of pups before we got her, and it was a C-section.  According to her breeder, she brought her home from the vet and put her down in the whelping box with the pups.  Still groggy from anesthesia, sore from the surgery, hungry pups behind her, and she just sat there staring at the breeder. 

The breeder's friend who was there said "What is she doing?" to which her breeder replied "Waiting for her dinner."

(pause).

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Nope, watch."

Dinner goes down, Maddie gobbles it up, THEN turns around and goes in with the pups.   The gal has her priorities.  Pure Corgi, through and through.  

Baxter does the same "helpful reminding" that Jack does. In fact, sometimes I legitimately forget and his reminding does actually help. Although now that we're learning the K9Sign, I understand him a little quicker.

My most recent food story happened last night. We were in the tennis court and I was putting together weave poles when I notice Baxter off at the other end of the court, gobbling something up. Horrified at what it might be, I call his name and tell him to leave it. Getting all the instant reward and glory of the object, of course he doesn't listen until I'm in arm's reach of him. That's when I notice it's an ear of corn! WTH? In the tennis court? How bizarre. In short, Baxter apparently loves corn. I can't wait to get those helpful reminders when I'm cooking it in the house now. =( 

Maddie's story is also hilarious. Corgis do not joke about food.

"corgis do not joke about food" How true is this??

Bugsy makes the same "Huph" whenever I'm prepping in the kitchen. His favourites are carrots & broccoli stalks. Broccoli might as well be a juicy ribeye... He started this behaviour almost immediately - he doesn't want to be left out! He comes running when he hears the ice cube tray crackling.

First thing in the morning it's different: he wants his cuddle & belly rub before anything else... 

Lets see...
Ace doesn't like the feel of the tile in the kitchen, so he won't dare venture in there if I am making food. Instead, he'll sit on the carpet infront of the kitchen and watch me. If I haven't noticed, he will go and grab a toy (usually his fox toy) and sit there with it in his mouth. If nothing has been given, he'll squeak it every few minutes as if to "remind" me that the Acer has arrived and is demanding his fair treat.

If I pull out a treat (our pantry squeaks, so that's his alert...it doesn't matter where he is in the house, he'll come running), he'll sit at the carpet and start waving his paw since I taught him shake. I believe that's his way of begging. He's never been very vocal, so he just gestures :)

Bugsy *loves* broccoli stalks!!

(organic from our CSA, of course)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service