I posted about this about a month ago, but nobody answered.  I'm hoping this time someone reads this.

Kelso is just about 1 1/2 now and he's been favoring his back leg for close to a month.  The vet has put it down to his being on large doses of ivermectin daily for 6 weeks.  This can cause joint inflammation.  As such, he isn't concerned about doing xrays or anything. 

The leg and hip doesn't hurt him when we squeeze or move it.  I've checked his pads and in between and squeezed his toes.  He's fine.   He even jumps up and down for his dinner if I don't stop him in time.  And the problem does seem to be getting better, but when he's been lying down for a bit, he limps on it, or just doesn't even use it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is it time to look for a new vet?  We're already unhappy with his unconcern about our oldest cat's hyperthyroid problem and the misinformation he gave us then.  But I don't want to put Kelso through a bunch of annoying tests if it just takes 2 months for things to go back to normal. 

BTW:  He's been getting ginger in his food for the inflammation and I'm going to start him on chondroitin and glucosamine, as well as pro-biotics. 

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Getting a second opinion is important as, of course, having trust in your vet.  given how much $$ can be spent on our animal companions, that trust is vital.  I have one corgi that will limp on occasion after napping or first thing in the a,m,  It really does come and go and after xrays and exams, i choose to treat it with either baby aspirin or some prevocox.

As to the tight swollen tummy, I''d either feed very small amounts of rice and boiled chicken or  cut out food completely  for at least 24 hours and get him to a vet right away.  And keep a 24 hour record of water intake and bowel movements so you can tell the vet what's going on.

Thanks.....but I think the swollen tummy is from another thread :)

We're very close to Cornell, which is one of the best in the country.  This current vet graduated from there, so I thought he'd be great.  Rochester is about 1 1/2 hours away, and I think Buffalo is 2 - 3. 

I wouldn't count on a vet being "good" just because of where they graduated. We have a new vet and she's very nice and graduated from a great school and you can see how much she loves animals but  if anything is wrong with a dog I go to the older vet  because he knows his stuff.

Good point.  I was just hoping it was an indicator, since we really had nothing else to go on.  There aren't even a lot of vet reviews on the internet.  I have had people tell me Cornell vet hospital is incredible and have practically performed miracles when their pet needed it. 

Your in our thoughts and prayers. Sorry you have to go though this.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service