Hello everyone!

I'm new to MyCorgi.com! I'm about to become a new Corgi momma! I have wanted one for as long as I can remember. I actually have a stuffed Corgi w/ a collar on it, just waiting for the day I brought one home. Now its almost like a surreal dream that is coming true in about a month!
So I am curious, what are some things that I need to know? I know they are a herding breed and I've done a lot of research! and I mean a llootttt! But I feel it is always good to ask people with experience. I see no Corgi's at the dog park we go too around here, which makes me a little sad. :(
I'm curious if there is any difference between the male and female? I've read that females can be more bossy. My stepdad's co-workers has a male and he's like insanely super hyper. However I suspect she doesn't mentally stimulate her corgi and just takes him for mindless walks. Are females good with other females? We have a 5 yr old Yellow lab that is a female. She also has diabetes and losing her eyesight :( We also have 3 cats? should I expect my little baby to be trying to herd them around the house? That would be such a sight though!
I know Corgi's are dogs that come with BIG personalities... It's something that attracted me to the breed. Little bodies and BIG personalities... just like myself. What else little things should I expect from these clowns? I've read that they are very in-tune with their humans emotions. Is that true? What I'd give to get a lick on the face after a bad day at work! I'm trying to think of some other things but they are just not coming to me this early in the morning! (11am, lol, i'm such a bum!)
I thank you all! I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

--- Caitlin

Views: 1421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Caitlin! Most of the answers are in the FAQ. There are over 100 owners in the state of PA, see if you can meet a few of them and you'll realize corgis come in different sizes and personality.

There is a difference between male and female, but personality is more complex and goes beyond gender differences. There are females that are more bossy than their male counterpart, but there's also submissive laid back females.

Corgis are herding dogs that require mental and physical stimulation daily, they are very smart (#11), vocal, driven by sight and sound. They have great stamina, they have a mind of their own and will not blindly follow command. Most corgis will eat until they pop, overweight is often associated with back / hip problems, it is important to keep them within ideal weight range.

Corgi's special double coat protect them from extreme cold and hot, my corgis spend half a year in Florida and Canada. Extra man made outercoat is not needed in the winter and shaving is not needed in the summer, shaving should only be done for medical purposes.

Corgis shed and will be more noticeable than your lab, their fur tend to roll like tumble weed. Weekly brushing will make your life easier.

I've met over 100 corgis in different occasions, fostered corgis from all walks of life, I can tell you they are all unique and have different personality, I strongly recommend you meet some owners in your area and get to know them, do your home work, ask all the questions, remember you'll sink at least $2K in your first year of ownership and this will be a 17 year commitment :) Good luck!
Dogs 101 part 1
Dogs 101 part 2
Breed all about it - Cardigan
Another clip from the same episode

There's also a corgi special coming this fall, it'll feature a corgi name king tut, who rescue his owner from a diabetic coma.
You will be joining an enthusiastic club! Corgis meet each day with great enthusiasm and need owners that appreciate that quirky personality. I think people that like cats make perfect corgi owners!
When do you actually get your puppy? So exciting!! My two are as different as can be. Bertie is now 6, likes to be near me at all times, easygoing and friendly to a fault, super easy to train -- and because we're really psychically attached, he does very well in Agility classes where he's looking for tiny signals from me about where to go. Ethel, who's turning 3 already (yikes!), is Queen of the May, can be snappy if other dogs try to be dominant, but has this tiny foxy face that everyone who meets her adores. She will eat anything (literally -- wood putty, medicine, dirt, sticks) and Bertie is more a meat (and ice cream, please!) man. Ethel tolerates Agility because cookies are involved, but you don't get the sense, as you do with Bertie, that it's any fun. They both love to walk in the woods and sniff stuff (and Ethel likes a few bites of various kinds of tree bark), but like me to stay in their sight. They both are very vocal -- but with Corgis, it's what I call "conversational barking" -- they're trying to tell me something ("Mom! A chipmunk sneezed somewhere" "Mom! A bug!" "Mom! A guy on a bike!"), never random or neurotic. They were both easy to house train, and learned obedience very very well -- but now, it's a matter of whether they obey, not whether they understand. They are VERY food motivated, so positive reinforcement with treats is a snap. Before I had them, I was nervous about getting a dog, and had never known any Corgis -- now I wonder how I got along without them! Good luck, and looking forward to seeing pictures of the baby.
Wow! thank you for all of the information! The breeder said my puppy will be ready to go on Oct 11th. So I believe we will either be making the trip the day before or the weekend after. They are going to be sending me more pictures of Missy, that's her name the breeder calls her, tonight.
In my picture is of my cat, Illidan, he thinks he's a dog. He plays fetch better than our lab! Also growls when someone comes to the door and he is sitting next to me! Maybe in his past life he was a corgi!
Thank you all so much! I am really nervous and excited about becoming a Corgi momma. Like I said, it's like a dream come true! I can not wait!
welcome to the group. I've got 3 neuterd males, ages 4, 2 and 9 months and they have very different personalities but share the Corgi intelligence and sense of humor! i think they also come in different levels of energy--I've got 2 pretty laid back guys and one who needs a lot more exercise.

Frankly, I think the issue of exercise is THE most important thing to raise a well balanced pup with good manners. No matter what their age, you must burn off some of that herding energy.

Have fun and post a picture when you get your puppy.
Just to address the cat situation - we have 3 cats in the house, as well as outside farm cats. I recommend that one of the first commands you teach you corgi is "leave it". This has proved invaluable to us in getting Frosty to stop tormenting our cats. He would spend all day chasing after them (he thinks they are dog toys that move and make fun noises). After teaching Frosty "leave it" we are now able to get him to stop tormenting the cats. Some of the cats like to play with him, and that's ok, but he also gets very excited and then we have to make him chill for awhile. Do your cats have claws? If yes, they will help you in teaching the corgi to leave them alone. If no, you will want to make sure that you monitor the situation for a couple months. Always make sure that your cats have a place they can go that the corgi can not reach them. There have been a number of discussion started on here about corgis and cats, I would greatly recommend that you read them. Here are a couple:

http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/cats-grooming

http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/corgi-and-cat-wars

http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/cats-corgis?commentId=1150197%3...

These are just a couple. There are tons of discussions that you can search for about pretty much any corgi subject on this site. Good luck with the new corgi!! I know just how you feel; I waited 15 years to get my first corgi and I think he's great!
I just wanted to let you know that your comment, while not directed at me, was very helpful to me :) my male corgi has recently been having issues with my cats and it never even occurred to me to teach him leave it, and now I feel silly lol
You're welcome Katie! Don't feel silly, I had cat issues for a couple months before someone on this site recommended using leave it, and then I was like, duh, why didn't I think of that! lol!!
Congratulations! I remember the day we went and picked Noodles up and boy was I excited and nervous. I remember him sitting in my lap all the way home just staring at me. Both my husband and I were quite nervous that Noodles was going to be a psychotic dog because of hearing some of the stories from his breeder, but Noods (his nickname) has turned out to be quite the passive gentlemen. He is very easy going and loves being with his mom. He has the funniest personality and definitely will let you know if he likes something or doesn't like something. He entertains us all day long and we can't imagine our lives without him. I will say he definitely has a stubborn streak, but even during those times, he can still put a smile on my face. Enjoy the puppy stage and take tons of pictures because they grow up so quickly. What we found to be very important was working with him on a daily basis with various training things. He is very food motivated and it doesn't have to be treats either, a piece of his dog food works just fine. Even now, at age 5, when he gets in to a stubborn moment, I have to bribe him with a "treat" in order for him to listen to me. Remember, have fun and enjoy those moments. If you get stressed out over something, she will also. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you everyone for all of this information! I got in touch with my breeder today and talked to my mom. We decided on going with a little darling that's currently 2 weeks old. We can go pick her up on Oct 30th!!! I'm naming her Harlequin! Going to call her Harley for short. I'm so excited!!!! This is her:

Wonderful markings--you'll have so much fun. Congrats.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service