Obsessive about my whereabouts +Suddenly jumping, barking at nothing?

Hi all! 

I have a big issue with our welsh corgi Bowser, he has gotten neutered recently but this behaviour is not new. The biggest thing is, he has his pen downstairs, comfy and gets food there, not to go potty but to relax and just be. My husband is away in the week on training and not home until the weekend. Bowser goes nuts if I put him there, locked in, the big pen and I go to the bathroom which is a few meters away. He goes on a whining trip like no other. My thought is, he simply does not trust I can be alone. He is so desperate to escape the pen and save me  like some fairytale prince. But the thing is, I am an adult, a grown woman, I can handle myself. :) My husband has 0 issues with him like that. If I leave the house and leave him with  my husband, he whines for 10 minutes. When my husband leaves, he is mopey in a more healthy way. He sniffs around, looks at the door but bounces back quickly. I don't think it is healthy for him to be so obsessive about my whereabouts in this small house or am I wrong? Any comments on this? They are herding dogs and like to keep track but this house is not huge, it is also very easy to hear where someone else is down and upstairs. He cannot be that..well..stupid to not know where I am. I just wish I could stop having him tail me. He isn't relaxed. HELP. 

He started jumping all the time at people before, How can I possibly train that away? What are your tips? "STOP JUMPING"!! I mean, maybe he does not understand that. :) (Probably) Need advise on more simple and direct command, any advice is very appreciated. 

He also barks at people walking by, how to teach a corgi to stop barking? Not the low warning bark but the crazy, see me I see you I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE HERE COME LOVE ME-bark. He doesn't bark on command. Any advise?

He also barks if I change the curtains, like it is a threat. It is sort of cute but also kind of worrisome. Is he ill, I think. HELPPP

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, have myself seen advice on youtube, he has seperation anxiety probably cause by me being over protective, will do those exercises. 

The jumping though, can it be prevented??? And the barking at people, since he loves everyone! :D 

Corgis are notorious for being ok when left alone, but needing to follow you around when you are home. Jack follows us everywhere and hates when one person is upstairs and one is downstairs. Work on giving him a stuffed Kong or something and walking away and then returning while he is still occupied. Gradually increase how long you are away and don't come back until after the treat is finished. In general, though, expect he will never be happy if you are home and he can't reach you. This is a herding dog trait. They have a strong instinct to keep an eye on the flock. So if you are GONE he's ok because you are out of his jurisdiction. But if you are around, it's his job to keep an eye on you. As I type, Jack is huffing away because I'm upstairs and my husband is down. Jack is at the top of the steps, barking.

As for jumping, it is hard to teach a dog "not" to do something. Easier to teach him to do something instead. The simplest is to ask him to sit for greetings and ask your guest to enforce it. "Oh, I don't mind if he jumps!" should be met with "But sometimes his paws are muddy and he doesn't know the difference, so I'm training him to sit to say hi. Can you help me?" Have every one ask him to sit and if he does not they should turn their backs and ignore him.

Beth, thank you for your helpful response! I am inforcing him to be GOOOD DOOOOG when not jumping and I do see and improvement. Thank you!

As for this herding, anxiety, I did a test. i left the house, was all Everything will be ok to make sure he was calm and walked out and around the house for ten terrible minutes. He yelped like he was dying and threw himself at the door. :( 

I try now to teach him that I WON'T LEAVE FOREVER like he seems to think. Or maybe he sees me as fragile? I dunno. His following me is fine but this high pitched screeming and destructive behaviour that could harm him if I leave the house, I am worried about. I had those feromone scents before but he wasn't different then. 

I want him to get that it is okey to get a bit antsy if someone leaves, but he mustn't hurt himself or yelp/scream forever. Because I do come back....I think this is the trickiest problem! Help! !

How to minimize this anxiety and stay strong during? I am very overprotective btw, maybe I have caused this? Thank  you so much for your replies! And Jack seems like Bowser :D :D :D It is cute. I think I feel trapped by his following because I feel like I cannot leave the house for an hour without him dying. Or hurting himself hurling his body at the door. :( 

Crate him every time you leave the house. A Kong toy stuffed with some peanut butter or doggy treats will keep him busy until you're out the door and the dust has settled. Stop worrying: dogs resonate off human worry.

Be careful not to behave as though your leaving or your walking out of the room is any sort of big deal. This idea is easier than you think to communicate unwittingly. Move in and out of rooms and the house without comment or any special behavior on your part. If the dog thinks that you think there's something worth noting with vocalizations or behavior, then of course the dog is going to develop a behavioral response to it. Hence "separation anxiety." Or whatever. As Beth points out, the dog's instinct is to be with you whenever you're around -- that instinct is especially bred in to herding dogs. Why not simply let the dog follow you around the house all the time? My dogs trail me into the bathroom to keep an eye, presumably, that I don't drown in the shower or fall into the loo. So far this doesn't seem to do any harm. ;-)

I wouldn't walk around outside the house by way of testing the dog. He knows where you are: he can hear and smell you moving around outside. This is a good way to get him further agitated. Just go on about your business in as normal away as you can (under the circumstances). Use a crate when you need to go out or to the bathroom and don't want to be followed  -- don't worry if he whines. Give him a toy or a Kong with a treat in it for him to try to dig out.

The command for "do not jump up on the human" is "off" or "on your feet." So many people use "down" to mean "lie down," it's best to train with some other command when you mean "get off the human." If your dog knows "no," your life is simplified. Dog jumps up; your response is "No! On your feet!" You need to be obsessively consistent to make this work.  A dog can't tell the difference between jumping up on his own person and jumping up on someone else...one human is a climbable as the next. So if you tolerate it yourself, naturally, he'll jump up on your guests -- he thinks that's a friendly greeting.

You nailed it Vicki, I know I worry and obsess too much about what he is doing, no wonder he does it himself, learned from the best!

He is my first dog, and puppy and I tend to fret over everything, I have noticed with my parents, that he treats my dad the way he treats my husband, my mom like he treats me! Because the overprotection-gene, guess where that came from? :D He is smart. He is also not dominant so I get frustrated since he does not understand my NO. 50 percent of the time. So I keep saying no, not knowing what the heck to try next. Ignore, crate, walk away with him holding on to my ankles, be rough, use a stick for "power" like ceasar, water spray, etc etc. 

I try to reward him now when he does what is good. Or I do that now always. I don't punish. It doesn't work. But it is  frustrating not getting through, no is a no. It is so simple for my husband and other people I have met with years of dog experience + every male I have met with him, they have been kind of laid back all of them...

But with me. He is a little devil, but I love him. And I want him to respect me. I keep making small progresses though, with stay-he actually can stay a bit now! But he goes bananas sometimes and then nothing helps but saying "TIME OUT" and crate him. Until he calms down and then wish his energy levels haven't gotten higher by doing so. Usually  he just keeps being a bit obnoxious. But you nailed it. I have not been consistent with the no and the aftermath, I keep changing! I fret and am anxious, rubs off like oil or something.  

He is a teen now, 6 months soon. 

The one way I have found that really helps, tire him out. So he is too tired and happy from walking and playing that he just snoozes. Why is this so hard? I have never had issues with other dogs, but guess what, they were not mine....Maybe the owners had trouble too. I know all of this, yet I keep trying to find a right way. A nice way. Not go rough like most people advice me. (Who do not have dogs). Raise my voice is fine,

But I have 0 success with trying to be an animal and tackle him down on all fours. yup, been there, done that too ;)

I know I am the source of his madness since he is with me all week, weekends with my husband and i take him to my parents and see the world every now and again. But he is with me so much. That he should respect me. But thinking about it now, reading the replies, I have not been consistent with any method. I stopped "standing like a tree" because his teeth started hurting like hell. I had to stop that. He does not bite me like that anymore. But he jumps and nibbles with everyone. He just does not accept a no from me. 

I will take your advice and go to work with it. I bought him a kong and a little puzzle thing for treats, I will follow this path and not youtube it anymore. I just go insane. And he does too. I feel sorry for him now realising this, having a parent that changes the rulebook every week. My god. 

But I genuinly care about our relationship and that is why I obsess. Haha. I am the title of this topic, it is about ME. Omg. :D Escept for the barking..I do jump sometimes, not at others though, hard making friends that way.... *whistle* I hope you guys understand that this really is about reaching out to you experienced wonderful people as a newbie and kind of overwhelmed with all the issues I have had with him. I got him to stop biting me so hard that he punctured my skin. That is awesome, but I have no idea how I did it. I think I stood up straight, started to force him to look at me in the eyes and said no, louder. I am lucky with that. These issues are so small in comparison, the jumping I am worried about because of his health. But have no idea if it truly is bad for his joints The nibbling is a puppy thing. People will have to deal. I just want him to get that I am serious, stay and drop it are serious things he has to respond to.

Sometimes he displays behaviour of aggression when having a bone or a treat in his mouth, I always am on guard since he does eat EVERYTHING. Just now, it was a treat, not a bad thing in his mouth, I tried taking it, he growled, I backed off. I listen to him, I want him to do the same. He is better at this than I am. 

I guess the only way is the true way, that I stay true to. That he gets. If he does not hear my "no", he will get some time out which he will whine about...But time outs are also relaxing for him, since we have FOUR cats. No cat has exhibited signs of depression or wanting to kill him or run away. He is very nice and genuinly just wants to befriend the world. They see that. 

Thank you for your reply, it really made me think more about how I react and that he almost always gets away with everything because I am just too tired. But I have to be stronger. And consistent. The following me around had me worried that he is too attached to me, that he would perish into depression if we needed someone to have him a few days. That is just a bit ridiculous right? I mean, I would never leave him with a bad person. He would be loved there. I am probably the one with the seperation anxiety here. o.O My god. I am the one. 

Thank you again for all replies and this major eye opener. I stress and fret. Others love him and do not overthink it. I should give both me and Bowser a major break. And be consistent :)

And this eye opener is just crashing down on me now, I am sooo thankful for your replies and sooo happy I created this discussion. I think I am starting to get it now. Bowser isn't the problem or topic of discussion here, I am! I have been treating him like he is a bit stupid in a way. Hehe. IN a loving way, mind you. But I will now stop that. He is smart. He wants to learn, I can see it when I play with him. Or teach him to sit, lie down, shake his booty, not take the candy til I say he can etc etc. He loves doing it so he makes me happy. I haven't thought about it like that before. He is sending out a distress call that I AM SMART AND LOVE YOU AND WANT TO BE GOOD! WHAT SHOULD I DOOOOO??! And I just well do this and that and this youtuber said this and omg omg omg omg.nothing works =Bananas all around. 

THANK YOU.

<3 !!!!!!!! 

And this loooong reply, everything just fell into place while writing it, realising that hey, he is obnoxious because you are all over the place-be consistent, patient and have fun. Do not worry too much. All while writing the long reply. This is a truly remarkable place on the web. <3

Good! I hope this works out.

It takes a LOT of patience. Remember, you're a Martian to him. He doesn't understand English: he's built to communicate in other ways than through words and sentences. Even a human, which IS adapted to use language, can't understand what you're saying at six months.

This sounds more like true separation anxiety. I believe the noted trainer Patrician McConnell has a booklet on treating this and her methods are very good. It's called "I'll Be Home Soon." You may find it useful. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CSLJR2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encodi...

I'm so excited that you have figured out that most of what's going on is him reflecting your energy. And that you are not being consistent in what you want him to/not to do. First off. Be confident in knowing that you want what's best for him. Be confident that you are now on the right track in getting him to where he needs to be. BE CONFIDENT.

To teach a dog anything you have to be confident and you have to be consistent. When I say be confident, be confident in all of your interactions with him... From giving him love, to feeding him, to trying to get him to stay down, to accessing anything he has, to getting him off of you/others. When I say be consistent, I mean EVERYONE has to be on the same page and giving the same commands and making sure he is following the same rules... from you, to your husband, to your guests. Let guests know ahead of time that if he jumps up on them to give him the verbal and the hand commands. It can be tricky sometimes, but the more consistent you/everyone is, the more quickly and better he will learn.

Pick commands and stick with them. Basic commands. One or two words. I use "down" for get off, "sit" for sit, "back" for back up, and "lie" for lie down. It would also be beneficial to use hand signals when teaching him these things. That way not everything is based on verbal commands. Hand signals reinforce the verbal commands. For "down" I use the signal like you are asking someone to stop, with my palm open/flat and angled down toward him. As I say "down", I also put my hand up in that way. Do this every time. Have small treats (think pea sized) to give him (could even be pieces of his kibble), and every time he does something correctly, give him a treat. He needs to associate things with positive outcomes.

When he jumps up on you/someone. Push him down firmly and say the command for get down, and use the hand signal. My signal for down is good because you can actually put your palm to his nose lightly so he focuses on that as you say down. You can also use it to sort of block his advance when he is getting ready to jump up. Pay close attention to when he has not jumped up yet, but you know he will. There are signals he will give that tell you he is getting ready to do it. Catching him in those moments before he actually does the jumping up are crucial. Once you see the signals that he is going to do it, you firmly give the down command and your hand signal. My signal, if he continues to show signs that he is going to jump up, I put my palm on his nose lightly and say "down". When he doesn't jump up, praise him and give him a treat. If he does jumps up, as soon as he's down after you've given the commands, praise him and give him a treat, but not until he's completely down. He may jump back up again. Repeat this until he doesn't jump up anymore.

As for the following you around, yes it can be annoying. It is their job. Don't fret about it and he won't be so persistent in making sure you're ok. When you stop worrying so much about him, he'll stop worrying so much about you.

The difference between the way you are interacting with him and the way your husband/father/etc are interacting with him.... is that they are confident in their interactions. You and your mother likely are not. Fake it until you make it. If you aren't really confident, act like you are. He will still know that it's not perfect, but it won't be as bad as it is now.

He should never show aggression toward you over a possession. Another area to definitely be confident. HE IS NOT IN CHARGE. YOU ARE. If he has something that could cause him harm, would you let him keep it? It should be the same with food/toys/treats/ANYTHING. You should be able to take whatever he has away from him with no issues. If he has something and you want it. Take it from him. If he shows any signs of aggression, firmly say "NO" and take it away. You need to have something to replace the item you're taking from him. If he has a stick and you don't want him to have it, take it and give him a toy instead. Always try to redirect whatever behavior into something positive, not negative.

Be firm, but don't yell. Yelling will turn the whole interaction into something not enjoyable at all, and he will totally forget everything.

When you leave, do not act any differently than you would while you're there. When you come home, try not to make a big fuss either. Try to make both leaving and arriving something that he could actually ignore. If that makes any sense. Make it as "uneventful" as possible. You leaving to go outside to check to see what his reaction would be will always fail. He can hear you. He can hear everything within at least 100 feet or more around your house. His reaction would probably increase because you're definitely acting out of the ordinary.

I know this is long. But, I wanted to be as specific and helpful as I could. Again, I'm so glad you had the epiphany that you did today! Just remember to be confident and consistent. And, have as much fun in training him as you can.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service