Rainy days=BORED DOG!!! What activities do you do to wear 'em out??

We try to walk Lola at least 1/2 an hour a day to tire the poor girl out, but with the rain, it's hard to do. We'll play hide & seek with her (we each hide, with treats in hand & call her to come... when she finds us, she gets a treat... we do this until we're out of whatever treat we have), which works to tire her out, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas... we don't have a treadmill, or else I'd just stick her on that! haha Any tips/ideas would be great, thanks!!!!

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fetch? also hide your treats throughout the house and then have her "hunt" for them, that will keep her occupy for a while :)
You also might try a lazer light. Ours LOVE to chase the light on the floor. Wears them out pretty quick.
Our dogs love the lazer light too,
also you can get dog toys that fit treats or dog food and they can roll it around and try to make the treats fallout. The dog's favorite now is a black bomb shaped one that makes a "kaboom" sound when they push it hard.
You can try teaching her tricks, most corgis love to do tricks for treats, shake, rollover, sit up etc
We just recently had this issue- a few straight days of rain kept poor Vash in the house :(
We play fetch and my fiancee wrestles with him sorta. Also....the cat helps- he runs around and Vash just chases him. Poor kitty.

So I guess my suggestion is- get a cat! XD
I don't want to start her on the laser light... haha Bad experience in the past... we did that with a dog & she was fixated on any & all shiny lights from then on!! I went to the library last night & checked out a dog training book, so I'm going to use the rain to my advantage & teach her more tricks! She already 'learned' a magic trick!! It's the one with 3 cups & you put a treat under 1 of them & mix them all up & have her find the treat. She did great! haha
awesome! you'll have to capture that on video for us all to see! Sounds interesting :)
I do shaping games with my dogs if they're bored. Karen Pryor explains the process somewhat in her 101 Things to Do with a Box exercise. You can apply the same idea to any object. A trainer at my school taught her papillion to put all four paws in a small water bowl and stand in it (she looks so cute doing it). This is fun for you and the dog gets to think for himself and figure things out. Wears the dog out mentally and you can teach a useful trick in the meantime.
You could teach her to read...I know it sounds ridiculous, but you can type up a couple of flashcards, one with "sit," "down," shake"..and whatever else you want her to learn. You have to type the words in bold, black and in a large font, but then you just have her follow you around, turn around, put the flashcard in front of her face, say the command, and then when she does it, take away the flashcard, and give her a treat... You're going to have to start one word at a time, and do it until she recognizes the word pretty well, and you dont' have to say the command anymore. It took Kiwi about a week to teach her "down," and now we are working on "sit" and "down" Every now and then she slips up and mixes them up, but with enough reinforcement it's definitely possible! It's really cool to watch them learn how to distinguish shapes and words.
We also pull a t-shirt behind us and run back and forth, with KIwi attached, that does a pretty good job of tiring her out, plus it teaches her not to nip at our heels. Hope this helps!
That's an awesome little trick!! I'll have to try that one out... what a way to impress your friends, huh? haha
i play the blanket game. Take a pretty huge blanket, and throw it on her and watch her work her way out. She'll scurry and run about, it's pretty fun to watch.

I did that with Spartacus this morning, and he was poooooped out in about 20 minutes, and then slept for about an hour or so, hehe. Good luck!
We just walk in the rain!!!! Mochi doesn't mind but it gets us miserable and wet but i just put on my rain boots and my Northface jacket and walk it all out!! I just accept that i'll have to walk in the rain, since i took on the responsibility of a herding dog i'll though out the rainy season walks.. Now if it was snow.. i think that would be a different story.

But inside things we do when we can't go for walks is play tug. And i dance with her too. I put on music dance silly at her level and it gets her all hyped up! bouncing around and running around that will defiantly tire her out.
I play fetch in the house. Our downstairs area has three rooms and you can throw a stuff toy from one room all the way to the other, if you don't hit a doorway that is. I usually do that several times a day with Duncan during the rainy weather or winter when it's freezing rain or such. As far as snow, the fluffier and deeper it is the better Duncan likes he. He runs through it making his own paths. And, playing fetch in that kind of snow does wear him out. I'll toss the toy to an area he hasn't cleared a path yet. A half a dozen trips like that, he's well wore out.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service