I need some ideas about the best way to restrain my dogs so I can travel with them.  I would like for them to be in the front seat with me, (they really hate being in the back seat and will try like mad to get in the front).  Any advice and what kind of restraint system any of you have found that works would be so appreciated.

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This study confuses me. Our seatbelt harness has a loop made of harness material, and the shoulder-belt in the backseat feeds through the big loop and clicks into it's normal spot, where you would buckle it if you were using it.

I know for a fact the belt locks upon sudden movement because Maddie has locked it up just moving around too much. There is no caribener clip, or indeed any other clip, to break. There is a two-inch wide or so nylon loop that the regular seatbelt goes through, and then the seatbelt locks into its own clip just like normal.

It seems that they are using a really weird harness system there.
A harness like that is safer than the one they tested. The fail point is usually the D ring in a harness set up. The other issue was the seatbelt having to much give before it locked. That is why the harness that locks onto the isobar is safer. The seatbelt did lock but not until the dog had already hit the back seat.
This is an interesting article, although I will admit that the way the crate is positioned in their back-seat test is somewhat bizarre to me. I suspect they placed it that way because it's a specific travelling crate designed to have a seatbelt go through the top, so they followed the instructions.

My dog crate is facing sideways, with the metal door facing the car door. It would be too long to face forward, and each time you brought your dog in and out, you would have to swing the crate around to the door anyway. Their criticism of the dog crate in the backseat (that the dog will be propelled through the metal gate and hit the car seat in front) falls short IMHO. It would have been nice if they tested several different set-ups, instead of just facing forward or secured in the footwell. My dog crate is far too big to fit in the footwell of my Subaru, so remains facing sideways in the backseat. Given that their test determined sideways in the footwell to be one of the better methods, I feel fairly confident that sideways in the backseat is probably one of the safer options available.
There is a video of a crate turned sideways with a 40 lb dog inside. When the dog hit the side the entire crate failed, not just the metal door. I'll find it after I get home from work. All of these are in German so it is a little hard to understand but you get the picture by looking at it. The basic Idea is that even though your dog is in the crate they are still loose. When you get into an accident they still have a greater potentialof getting hurt. Even with all of this it still comes down to what works best for you and your dog. Sometimes it isn't possible to go one way so you have to figure something else out.
They also said in the study that a carrier installed the way most people do (facing across the seats instead of forward) will cause less injury than one facing the way the manufacturer designed the one they tested. As Riley said below, a lot of it depends on your crate. If you have a well designed, sturdy crate you will probably be ok. Their reasoning for a crate facing the car door (transverse to the cars movement) is the force is spread out more and quicker instead of focused on the dogs vertebrae column and neck.
No doubt; no matter which method you choose, the dog (just like humans) are going to be propelled by the force of the accident, and there is bound to be some damage. The goal of safety features (for both humans and animals) is to minimize the amount of harm caused. It's naive to think that when you get into an accident, there are going to be safety features that guarantee 100% safety and absolutely no damage. That's simply impossible when traveling at speeds in excess of 60-70 kms/hr. Even things like seat-belts and airbags regularly cause damage to humans when accidents occur (bruises from seatbelts, whiplash, bruises and nerve damage from airbags, etc).

While there are going to be better and worse options, nothing short of strapping your dog down and covering him in a Styrofoam bubble is going to keep him from at least a bit of risk.
I should add - I mean this more as a general statement than directed at you in particular Ella and Derek.

People just need to understand that safety features are about minimizing risk not eliminating it. A car accident is a powerful thing and there is bound to be damage from it.
I couldn't get the link either. Sure would like to see it!.
try refreshing it. I clicked the link and got a blank page but when I refreshed the page it appeared.
This has been a great discussion. There is so much to consider when traveling safely. The study kind of confuses me too, I guess because every situation is just a little bit different. But I sure want them to be safe, they are my most precious babies. Keep the info coming.
Another thought...there many different kinds of crates/kennels...some are intended for travel. If you are thinking plastic, the quality varies. As with everything cost can be a determining factor...not all pocket books are created equal! We each need to do the best, within our means, to provide safety for our little 4-legged children, just as we would for our precious human cargo.
As I said before, it really comes down to what works for you and your dog. If we are doing the best we can thhat is what matters. For those interested I found a harness at ruffrider.com that is affordable and provides as much protection as our seatbelts. It uses the seatbelts or cargo hooks in your vehicle. For the cargo hooks you have to get a 24kn carbener.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service