What are your thoughts on this technique? I find it pretty awful, but I have a hard time explaining to people why... other than "sure it might work but it's so mean!!

Words of wisdom? Maybe you like the idea? Maybe you hate it?

Most of us grew up that way, I think. Thoughts?

Potty training thoughts in general?

photo from corgiaddict.com

Views: 804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would you rub your child's nose in their dirty diaper? I don't think so. The puppy doesn't know any more than the baby. They need to be shown the acceptable place to go just like a baby needs to be taught where to go. Very old school thinking and I'm pretty old!!

Never! But I am not opposed to shaking my head and grumbling about it while cleaning it up...

Nope!

I did grow up that way but I always thought it was wrong.  Do agree with Bev, though....I'll add a bunch of curse words, too, but not directed at the miscreant (just to myself).

All that does is teach the dog to hide it from you, or maybe even eat it to get rid of the evidence, how fun!

no, it never worked years ago when we did it with our dachshunds...

thank God i found out how to train a Puppy!!!!!

Yuck!  It doesn't work, it stresses the dog, they normally DON'T contact their own feces or urine (though they will sniff that of other dogs).   It teaches them that you are scary and unpredictable.    And it works directly against their natural "don't soil your own space" instinct that actually makes housebreaking possible. 

Absolutely no, never. 

No! There are far more effective, positive training techniques. Please look them up online.

One of the main problems with this technique is once the dog goes potty, they essentially forget about it. They have NO IDEA what they are being punished for when you come home 3 hours later and find a pile on the floor, then proceed to rub their nose it. Essentially to them you are coming home and punishing them because they are happy to see you, they make no connection to the fact that they are being punished for the potty incident. Dogs are very much in the moment, you can NEVER punish a dog for something it did more than 10 or 15 seconds ago because it has already forgotten what it has done and has moved on to the next thought/task. This goes for everything involved in puppy training. Its the same reason you can't punish a dog that has been running away from you outside for 30 minutes and then after its exhausted finally comes to you. At that point it has already forgotten it misbehaved for the last half hour and all its thinking is "I came to you and then you got mad at me so I'm not going to make that mistake again." The best way to potty train is constant vigilance, TONS of praise when they do good, catch them in the act and take them to the appropriate spot and then tons of praise after. Basically punishment when potty training will put you back 2 steps for every 1 step forward. It must be done with lots of praise and lots of patience!

I am so glad to hear such a large unison response! :) 

I agree of course that there are better ways. It is nice to see a large volume of people telling me this from experience! I have heard it said "oh the training methods change all the time so I'll just stick with what I know works," and it kills me that people think that way. 

Especially when it's someone I care about... because then I don't want to like make them think that I think they are an ass hole or anything. Cuz generally they're not, they just are stuck in their way or whatever.

I strongly disagree with this method.  I agree with Karen Dadisman's reply.  Firstly, if you don't catch them in the act there is no point in getting mad or correcting, it is just too late.  If you do catch them in the act then pick them up and carry them outside to an acceptable place to go potty. 

Bella, our second Corgi, has been much more difficult to train than our first corgi, Pumpkin.  We make sure she has plenty of walks, including short ones that are mainly for potty purposes.  I would urge you not to do the nose rubbing thing and be patient. 

Not into that!  We had great luck with taking our puppies out IMMEDIATELY after eating and not allowing anyone back in until everyone had done their business.  I found that if you caught the puppy in the act pick him/her up immediately and take outside.  Make a great fuss over a "job" well done....yeah, puppy voices, happy dance,praise to the awsome puppy......   and then return inside. 

We found possitve reinforcement to be very beneficial!  ^,,^

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service