We've owned Corgi's for what seems like forever and one of the first things we were told was not to leave the collar on the dog when they are not leaded.  The reasoning was that because of their short legs they ran the risk of getting tangled and stuck on stuff with the possibility of death.

We have collars and tags but we only use them when camping or travelling.  Other than that we use the harness, no tags, when we walk them. 

The reason I ask this question is because I see photos on this site with unleaded Corgis wearing collars with tags.

Views: 3472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Sidney wears his collar only when I take him outside or we go somewhere in the car, or for a walk. When he is inside, I usually take it off. I'm always paranoid that he will runaway, even though he doesn't go that far. He is also micro-chipped. I just want to make sure someone will know who he belongs to, just in case he does go too far from me.

Mine are both collarless in the house.  A few months after Goldy arrived the two of them were playing in the livingroom.  Bear's bottom jaw got wedged under Goldy's collar - as he tried to free himself he flipped around, twisting the collar even tighter around Goldy's neck.  Bear was screaming and Goldy couldn't breathe.  They wouldn't be still enough for me to untangle the collars because they were in full panic mode.  I grabbed some nearby scissors and prepared myself to cut Goldy's collar, knowing in my mind that I was risking stabbing one of them with the scissors in the process - I decided in a split second that a stabbing can be stitched, a suffocated dog could not.  As I reached for her collar, Bear righted and freed himself.

All of that happened in a matter of 5 to 10 seconds.  The panic I felt and the panic they felt was insane.  I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been home.  No collars in my house.   Collars are attached to leashes and clicked on when we go out for a walk.  I do worry that if they got loose, they have no visible ID, but they are both microchipped, so we put our faith in that.

And, since both of them are very visible in the neighborhood from walks and from their perch in the front window, I am pretty confident that someone would help them find their way home.

I put Bugsy's collar on every morning before our walk. I take it off at night after our last outing. I also didn't want the dent in his lovely fur. Lately however, I noticed he can get his rabies tag in his mouth & has chewed it. goofy guy. But I feel better about him having it on during the day. He has gone on a runner once or twice...

The only time I ever took Ein's collar off was if I put her in her puppy playpen unsupervised. I was afraid of it getting caught. She's pretty much outgrown the playpen now, and if she'd going to be unsupervised then she's in her crate. So I just leave it on always now, and have never had any problems. Our dachshund is lower to the ground than she is, and we've never had any problems with him wearing a collar either. Living in the city I just worry about them having their proper identification on.

Heather

Wilf has always worn a collar and its never been a problem
Ours only wear collars when we are out and about.  Lilly has a tendancy to chew them off of Brody and it was getting pretty expensive.  Also, the tags / metal ring for the tags made their pretty white chests all dingy gray.

Collars with tags 24/7. In a city with a huge abandonment /lost/theft/horror story pounds (specifically the one that regulates my area and makes no effort to ever get a lost dog back) it is a must.  I am actually surprised at how many people go without on this forum, lol! 

The risk of losing my dog without a tag (god forbid anything like that ever happen) outweighs the risk of a collar inside. I know it must depend on your situation though. We live in a city and our dogs are always with us being supervised so the risk of choking hasnt really crossed my mind. Having said that, chip bags are never left lying around anymore! :)

we live in the country, but don't let Sabre out by himself because he's still a pup and doesn't quite know all of his boundaries. We leave a collar on him 24/7 and he actually gets really mad if we take it off of him. We've found that when we take it off of him it does not leave an indentation in his fur. He's almost 10 months old and has worn a collar since he was 8 weeks old.
Never heard of that reason.  Usually I don't have collars on my dogs when on our property-fenced areas or house.  Too much roughhousing goes on that can lead to stuck mouths in collars, etc.  But any time we leave the property, travel, shows or even just a hike, they always were a collar with tags.
Rascal and Molly both wear collars; I haven't had any problems with their collars. I didn't know they made breakaway collars or at least never noticed them. Can somebody tell me where to get them?

I know this is a long thread, but I thought I'd add what our vet observed to us when we discussed chipping vs collars:  in his (LOOOONG) experience, he prefers collars (though chipping is an ok back-up)

his reasoning was that if the dog gets lost/gets out and is found by someone, they have to make a lot of extra effort to have the chip read.  (i.e. they have to take it to a vet or humane society, etc.)  whereas if the dog has a collar with contact info, it's an immediate way to contact the owner.  Also, he said, a dog without a collar (especially a super cute corgi) can be rationalized as "lost/abandoned/homeless" if the person finding the dog thinks it's cute and decides to keep it.  A dog WITH  a collar obviously belongs to someone and it's harder to snatch him/her if you have to think about the family that lost him/her.

so our dogs are chipped and have collars. they wear the collars all the time (except during/after bath, etc.) but we check them all the time for tightness, etc.)  they are stinkers and I don't trust them not to slip out the door etc.

Just putting in my two cents on this subject too...

Sadie and Leo both wear collars at all times.  In addition to visible identification that they are a "lost pet" vs a "lost dog" a collar gives a person who may find your dog something to immediately hold onto them with.  I would feel awful if someone could've "caught" my dog on the loose versus having to just watch them get away again because there was nothing to hold them with.

I LOVE the boomerang tag as they don't jingle, don't fall off, can't be chewed on and large enough to hold ID with 2 phone numbers - my number and the vet's number (good idea because someone always answers the vet phone line 24/7).  I have Lupine brand collars on them as they are 100% guaranteed even if your dog or another dog chews on them the company will replace them.  I also use a tag clip from Lupine that I keep their rabies tag & other tags on.  The only time I put that on their collars is when we go someplace off our property (the boomerang tag is always on their collars).  That way no jingle jangling in the house but it's quick and easy to put on when we get in the car.

They are both microchipped but that only pays off if someone scans them if they were to get lost.  The scanners are not cheap for the clinics/shelters to purchase and you may be surprised to know how many places do not have them.  I fully believe the cost for the microchip is worth it and more and more places are getting scanners these days but a chip isn't a guarantee you'll get your dog back.  Nothing is a guarantee - so use layers of protection.

I work at a vet clinic and every time we get a phone call on a lost dog the first question we ask is "did they have a collar on" and the answer is more often no than yes.  With a collar that has a tag with a phone number on it we can return a dog to their owner in a matter of minutes versus turning them over to a shelter and then who knows.  The majority of dogs do not have microchips because people don't want to spend the extra money.  A collar is relatively cheap and the rabies tag comes with the vaccination.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service