I noticed today that Tobey has what looks like a fever blister on his lip.  It doesn't seem to be bothering him much as I can touch it and look at it and he doesn't mind.  He also isn't licking it or anything.  Has anyone seen something like this before?

UPDATE - 9/4/2011

Tobey went to his regular vet today and they said it was a histiocytoma, which is a huge relief.  He had one of these before, but he was less than a year old and it was in his armpit and didn't look quite as bad as this one.  In any case, since it is kind of oozing he gave us some ointment to put on it and instructions to keep it clean and that it will go away on it's own.  If it really gets a lot worse than he will take it off, but he doesn't really want to put Tobey under anesthesia for such a little thing. 

Thank you to everyone for your support on this!

Views: 6329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be and I fully 100% think that is ringworm on the mouth. My sisters dog had the exact thing and was diagnosed as ring worm!!!!!
How did they treat the ringworms since its on the lip? I'd love to start doing something before Tuesday.
Well this one was kinda by the nose and the vet told her that bleach on a q-tip would treat it if se didn't want to pay for meds. They told her it wouldn't harm the dog in any way with a little amount. And it did treat it! But make sure it is ring worm before you do try to treat it cuz it could make it worse. And usually if it's on the tummy you can use human anti fungal cream. Make sure that your not touching it or the pup with his paw or anything cuz it will spread.

Yep, that one needs a vet visit.  Better to be safe than sorry.  

Well, we are worry warts, so we decided to take him to the emergency vet. I have a 13 year old lab so if it was ringworm or something contagious I wanted to know how careful we would need to be so we could keep everyone as healthy as possible.  

The vet said that it wasn't ringworm.  So now, we will wait until Tuesday so we can go to our regular vet for any diagnostic testing that may need to be done.

Honestly, I'm hoping in the next day or so it starts clearing up.  Thanks for all your input, I'll keep you posted on what comes of it.

Did you find out what it ended up being? And for a heads up next time you can always tell it ringworm if you hold a black light up to it and it glows almost. I'm studdying to be a vet tech learning all these cool tricks.

I left on a business trip so 'Grandpa' is going to take him to the vet this morning. I'm anxiously awaiting the diagnosis!!!!  I will definitely keep you posted as soon as I hear something.

Congratulations on studying to be a vet tech!  It must be a very exciting subject to study.  All of the vet techs at both the Emergency Vet and my regular vet are always so nice and knowledgeable.  Best of luck to you!

Thanks!

Glad it's nothing bad:)

Me too!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by