UPDATE: What are things you wish you had known about Corgis before you got one?

I am wanting to start a blog about responsible dog ownership.  I talk a lot about responsible dog ownership on Reddit and I find myself writing the same things over and over.  It will be easier and more thorough for me to write a blog that I can reference!  

For one of my posts, I want to write an overview on owning Corgis for those thinking about adopting.  Our midget pals are growing more popular with the Royal Wedding and all that, and as you know, Corgis really aren't for everyone.  If I can prepare future owners for the task they face, I can go to sleep a happy owner.

So, what are things you wish you knew about Corgis before bringing one home?  Anything.  Temperament issues, health issues... whatever! 

UPDATE: Since this thread was resurrected, thought I would put a link to the finished product: Own Responsibly: The Comprehensive Corgi Guide- A Resource for New ...

Views: 4627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HOW MUCH THEY SHED!!!!!!!!
One thing I wish I would have known would have to be how much they shed!!! Although I don't think it would have changed my mind, but would have been a nice heads up. An your right corgis aren't for everyone. Although some of the same litters are very different. Mines so darn hyper he never slows down. He's 2. An also he never stops barking I tell him no or even give him a nose smack doesn't fase him! Anyways corgis really aren't for everyone, if I didn't take my time with tazz or have a little patients it would totally be a bad situation.. But anyways just wanted to share some things :)  

You better be prepared for a LOT of shedding.   Have a good vacuum....I mean a really good one.....

I really cannot say that my Corgis are stubborn or bullheaded.....they have learned quickly, behave really well, and do some tricks.....They even have campaigned for a friend who was running for City Council....Had the T shirts too.  

Of course, like all herding canines, they will try to herd anything moving....squirrels, rabbits, children and etc.   It is such fun to watch them.

If I had to pick one problem it would be that my female, Merry, is a noisy little beast....always telling other dogs what to do....Her previous owners had her de-barked, but that doesn't slow her down for a minute....she just sounds like we do with a sore throat. 

Never follow the feed instructions on the dog food bag, use a measuring cup.  A Corgi always will think it is hungry. 

For all dogs obediance training is a must!

Dogs shed, get it used to being vacumed as a puppy, it is easier on your home.  Corgi's do bark a lot 

For all dogs Crate train, secure the dog in a restraint in the car . 

Feed quality food, avoid treats from China.

Great idea, Rachael! I am glad we did a thorough research before we got a corgi, so there were no real surprises ....I would just stress that since they are such smart stinkers the owner needs to be the definite leader of the pack and not a pushover. At the same time corgis can be very sensitive to harsh treatment (even just a harsh word). But one thing I was NOT prepared for is that owning one corgi will make me want to have another one:)

I would warn people not to be fooled by those short, little legs. In an average dog, that might be enough to keep them out of "high trouble"; in a corgi with excellent problem solving skills, it's not much of an impediment to getting into / onto things they shouldn't. Sophie, shortly after we first got her from rescue, figured out how to push her large crate across the kitchen floor, pull out a kitchen chair and push it next to the crate, climb onto the crate via the chair, then up onto the counter. We walked in to find her sitting in the kitchen sink chowing down on a bag of treats we had left out on the counter. Another time she figured out how to open her crate which we had moved to the bedroom, climbed up onto it and onto my dresser where she had a party eating a lipstick and chewing through an outer pocket of a purse to get to a pack of gum inside. (Share with your readers that xylitol can be deadly for dogs.). She has also pulled chairs out to use as steps to get up onto tables to see if there was anything good to eat up there. She has earned the nickname "Monkey-Dog" due to her climbing skills.
Other than the climbing, I'd warn people about the:
-shedding,
-selective hearing,
-careful feeding to avoid weight issues,
-trying to limit them launching themselves off furniture and stairs to avoid back troubles,
-play with their paws / toes as a pup to get them used to having nails done,
-the OCD / behavioral constancy: not giving up when they are doing something they want to do, like our first corgi trying to get a piece of kibble out from under the fridge and barking, pawing, and whining about it until I got up and get it out for her, since I gave in way before she would give it up.
-being careful what you laugh at; you may turn undesirable behavior into a game. Our first VERY smart, VERY socially in-tune-with-people corgi dropped a toy into a basket of clean laundry when she was quite small and then pulled some clothes out trying to get the toy back; we laughed. From then on, despite attempts to break her of the habit, it was the "laundry game" whenever she saw a basket of clean laundry either waiting to be folded or already folded waiting to be put away for quite some time after--- not so funny then. Never touched a basket of dirty laundry!

I wish I had known that I'd want another one :)

I swore we'd only have one dog at a time............now............not so sure I can resist having another crazy bunny but racing around in my yard  :o)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service