Since I am only a few weeks into being an owner I am taking a survey about which brands of food are preferred. My vet recommends purina one puppy food and that is what I started feeding. Now I am reading that this is "junky" full of undesirable ingredients as are many seemingly good foods. I have been reading about Blue Buffalo and Innova. Any thoughts?

Views: 8537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My guys both get Fromm's. Henry gets the pork and applesauce variety, and Luke is on the puppy version (although I think I'll be switching him over to the adult food soon). I fed Wellness previously and while Henry did fine on it, he had the worst gas ever...lol.
Mine do very well on Innova. It seems to be a good quality kibble.
I am also reading not to feed them puppy food as it causes rapid growth, any thoughts on that?
Large puppy brand is ok because the protien levels are lower. I feed mine Canidae but am switching over to Taste of the wild both are all life stages food. I'm sure someone will post the site(I can't remember it) that gives reviews! I used Fromm's along time ago and I don't remember anything bad about it.There are lots of good foods to chose from!
@Jane Christensen & anyone interested in seeing the nutritional value of your dog food and a cost comparison, too.

Hi Jane,

Maybe this is the site you're looking for that reviews dog food. I found it very helpful, quick & well-laid out:
http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogtable.html

Based on this chart we bgt. Chicken Soup for the Dog Owner's Soul. It was recommended by my friend who is a GSD breeder. I chose it because it got 5 out of 5 stars for nutrition and only $$ out of $$$$ for cost. So far Lucy and Rafa seem to be doing great on it. They love it (what food don't they love, haha...they're corgis!) and both of their coats are looking better. I have Rafa on puppy and Lucy on adult kibble. I keep a cup of kibble handy for small treats.
Can I ask.. why are you changing to Taste of the Wild?
Yes,Hana I will send you a message!
Jane, I was thinking about change my basset food to Canidae .Can I ask why you are switching over to Taste of the Wild?
I use Iam's. I'm not convinced all the "junky" ingredients are really all that junky, as I haven't seen much good science to back it up, just gut feelings and anecdotes. Don't get me wrong, I'd avoid something that had by-product meal as the top ingredient (since it's not a source of high-quality protein). I don't mind seeing it further down the list, though.

I'm not real familiar with Purina One.

Keep in mind, most of the people out there developing web sites about dog food are not going to develop a site to tell you they feed one of the popular brands (Iam's, Purina, Eukanuba).

If I ever started seeing poor results on Iam's, I'd switch to either Blue Buffalo or Wellness (not the Core, just the regular Wellness). I am wary of high-protein formulas at this time.
I agree with Beth - there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence and gut feelings abound about what's best to feed/not feed dogs, what's biologically/"evolutionarily" best for them, etc. My breeder certainly had her fair share of opinions about what dogs should/shouldn't be eating, but it wasn't clear to me how much of that was based on anything other than "20 years breeding Corgis" (don't get me wrong, she's very knowledgeable, but I don't know how much stock I put in personal experience).

When Casey was a pup, she was fed Purina Puppy Chow for a short while (my breeder recommended buying a small bag of the Purina Puppy Chow and then when the bag was just about out, transitioning her to adult food - I'm not sure exactly when that happened, but it was probably around 4-5 months or so). Then she was on a regular chicken/rice kibble until a bit older, and now she's on Orijen Adult.

Orijen's a pretty "fancy" dog food - it's grain free and more expensive than your regular store bought brand - but for me, I like supporting Alberta business and I AM a believer that the quality of what goes in a body affects physical health and well-being (there certainly is a lot of research on that relationship in human bodies to make me a believer – and why should dogs be any different?).

Anecdotally (I know, what a hypocrite!), I can say that when I go to Denny's and eat a huge, carbo-loaded breakfast, I feel like crap for the rest of the day, but when I eat a nice, balanced breakfast with a variety of good things, like fruit, vegetables, protein, and a small amount of carbs, I feel pretty good. In my mind at least, it seems reasonable that dogs would be the same way. Of course, I still eat cookies and ice cream, and Casey still get’s Milkbone biscuits, so there you go.
I'm not trying to be snarky or rude at all--I'm just pretty passionate about nutrition--but it's not anecdotal or gut feelings when you know what rendering plants include in the pot. Grocery store rejected meat, even animals who have been euthanized at shelters can end up as "meat by-product". Although there are government agencies who are supposed to be regulating things, if the source of food is not human grade, then it can be something you probably wouldn't want your precious pet eating. I wouldn't let mine lick up some road kill, so I'm certainly not going to pay for them to eat essentially the same thing just because it's packaged nicely in a bag.

On a similar note, just for human grade food, sold to humans for human consumption, do you have any idea what sort of "junk" goes into many chicken feeds fed to chickens in factory farms? It's not corn and good things. It's ground up dead chickens, sometimes diseased chickens, because the processing is believed to kill any diseases. If they'll do that with human food, just imagine the free-for-all in the business of making mass-marketed animal food.
We feed Olive Blue Buffalo Puppy. She's 10mths, 18lbs and happy as a clam! Haven't had any issues with gas or stool, and her coat is amazing. She loves all the flavors, lol. The Health Bars are really good too. A lot of people go the organic, no filler, whole ingredients rout... you can add fresh veggies and fruit too! Do you have a "what not to feed" list? Some make mention of sugary fruits and moderation, etc.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service