I got a corgi mix from a rescue and they told me he was a corgi/chihuahua mix. I doubted it, and I don't care much either way. They just said he was going to stay small and not grow too much. He was really sick when I got him, and you could see his ribs and his hip bones, he only weighed 10.4 pounds. The rescue only had him a few days when I came to pick him up. Well after having him for 2 weeks, he had gained 5 POUNDS! He was a fat little boy and full of energy. No parasites, no limp, just happy. He has to be close to 20 pounds now that we have had him a month. I don't care that the rescue might have been off about his mix or his size, I love him. But someone made a face because they assumed he was mixed with a pitbull. He is brindle but his mom was a cardigan. They didn't believe me that corgi's could come in those colors and would not tolerate my dog at the dog park. Am I wrong to be angry with them. He is an angel, even if we was part pit he is wonderful, and I think he is still too small to be a pit mix, he just looks like a corgi with long legs. What do you think?

Views: 5628

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are plenty of pit bulls and pit mixes at the dog park we go to and nobody has ever been rude to them like those people were to you. Geez - he is just a cute puppy!!

I think dog parks can be a great place as long as the people there are responsible. We go to the dog park a couple of times a week and always have a great time - the people there do pay attention to their dogs and we usually see the same dogs every week so it has been a good experience for us. There are small & large dog areas and people to follow those rules so at 29 lbs Tucker is usually one of the biggest dogs if we're on the small side. I have never heard anyone there question a dogs breed in that way. If a dog was aggressive - no matter what the breed- I don't think that would be well tolerated but for someone to be so judgemental and bad-mannered towards you and your pup just isn't right.

Hopefully they decided never to come back because they are scared of your vicious little corgi mix and you won't have to deal with them again. Morgan is adorable - looking forward to seeing more pictures :)
Brindle is a very common color for Cardigans. In the Westminister show a brindle named Harry Potter won the Cardi group. Unfortunately Cardigans are not very common so people tend to be pretty un-knowledgeable! We have similar problems with the doberman. People assume she is vicious when she is not. However, she is standoffish to strangers while the corgis think everyone (even the stupid ones) are their buddies. Her breed was bred to be a guard dog and corgis to be a watch dog. Very different! People are a little hysterical about Pits in this country but that is due to the owners not being responsible. Your puppy is cute and you are more likely to be attacked by a Chihuahua than a 4 month old puppy! Dog parks should be used with extreme caution.
I remember that dog, he was awesome ... as I admit my dorky-ness. I did watch that dog show and I loved seeing him there. He was a pretty dog. And yes, I figure all dogs have a chance of biting, but for some reason a well behaved pit bull is viewed as being far more dangerous than an agressive chihuahua. I don't get it!
His is mixed with something. But none the less he is beautiful & you love him. I hate when people just jump the gun & say your dog is a pit & nothing else. there are lots of breeds that have the same build as pit..OR same color Or what have you. We have a German short hair mix.. & people always jump to say shes part pit. i don't think our dog looks like a pit she looks more like another type of pointer mixed in OR lab. just because her nose is spotted & then some pink mixed in doesn't mean shes a pit. I've seen other dogs with that same mark on the nose & they were No where near pit. I would of got mad with people too if they said they didn't want you at a park just for how your dog looks. they should go by temperament of the dog, if that dog has had any issues with other dogs & or people. Not just by looking at them & being like " Oh thats a pit.. Your not getting in here" Don't get me wrong i know there are some Nasty pits out there.. but there are a few good ones too.. any dog can be a BAD dog.. not just its Breed. just depends on how they are raised & how they where breed. I would go back to the park none the less. you know your dog best & know how he will act, and if the people have a problem be like " My dog is fine with other dogs & people" - points to dogs playing - " if you want me to leave this park better have a better reason then my dog looking like a pit bull " :) LOL plus dont worry his a cutie pie & you love him no matter what other DUMB park people say <3
hi Derek, your beautiful dog does not have any pit in him! that beautiful wavy coat looks more like an irish setter.... i would tell the folks at the dog park that they can not discriminate against him! as long as he is not aggressive they have no say in the matter. if they deny you access to the park, get a lawyer and sue the town for discrimination. good luck, kim & bruce
You pup is just adorable. First, I don't think he looks anything like a pit. Second, these posters are all right and people should vilify the bad owners, not the whole breed. I say you should tell them he's a corgi/aussi mix then they will have nothing to talk about and be bored, bored, bored.
I feel like a broken record, and again I don't think the pup in question is part pit, but the pit bull clubs and rescues all state unequivocally that pit bulls should not be at dog parks, because of they way they fight if a fight breaks out.

These are FANCIERS saying this. A "good" beagle owner will still have a dog that will take off if left off leash, if it finds an interesting scent. A "good" Border Collie owner will still have a dog with a strong urge to round things up. A "good" pointer owner will still have a dog that points at birds. And an excellent pit bull owner will still have a dog that is highly likely to engage and not let go if challenged at all by another dog.

I am puzzled as to why people are resistant to the idea that a dog bred for generations to fight other dogs would not be a wise choice at a dog park? A good pit bull should be friendly with people, and nice enough to other dogs, but should not be expected to not revert to breeding if it finds itself in a stressful spot at the dog park. Check out the rescue sites and see what they say about pits and other dogs.
I really have to question how much it took to breed the fighting into pits. If you watch the Dog Whisperer, It's Me or the Dog, or spend any time on these forums, there are dogs of all breeds that exhibit aggression.
Now think about someone breeding dogs for fighting. These are not socialized dogs, in fact, many of the dogs are taunted and abused from birth so they are aggressive. How much selective breeding do you think it took to get an abused dog to fight when locked in a ring with a strange dog?
I highly encourage reading this page:

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/breedinfo.php
actually, i think your dog DOES look like a cardy-chihuahua. I know a grown-up corgi-chihuahua mix, looks just like your dog did when she was a pup. But she did not inherit longer legs, and she is a pembroke mix.
Corgis without a white splash on their nose have a flat-looking face that some associate with pitbulls.
Tell the other owners to piss off, they've probably never seen an american pit bull terrier in their life.

This is an old post, but I am still going to respond.....please take a look at my profile pic, which is my Corgi/Chihuahua/Pitbull mix...he is the sweetest, and smartest boy....he was rescued at the end of the needle from an L.A. shelter two years ago.  So what if your dog has Pitti in him....they are the sweetest dogs around...used to be called the "nanny dog" as people wanted them as companions to their children.  Just because some unscrupulous people have used and abused this dog type breed, does not mean that they, the dog is inherently a bad dog.  I love my Corgi/Chihuahua/Pitbull Sparkie!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service