OK...we were at the dog park and a lady approached me and asked where I got my Corgi.  I told her that after a year of looking for a local rescue, I found a reputable breeder.  She BLASTED me for paying money for my dog and said that shelter dogs were the only responsible way to go.  Sorry, folks, I disagree.  I'm ALL for shelter dogs and adoption, so don't accuse me of ignoring the need (I donate to our local shelter and my 15-yr. old husky/mix was a rescue).  However, if we don't have responsible breeders, all pure breeds would disappear in 20 years!  Also, why...tell me please...should responsible breeders and pet owners be punished because of all the irresponsible people out there that allow their dogs to reproduce, or get a dog and don't care for it, or dump it off because they're tired of it?  Honestly....seems that responsible people are losing their "rights" to the irresponsible....even in owning a dog!  Geeeezzzzz.....the breeder we got our Corgi from had people on waiting lists...they all had homes before they were born! 

Views: 859

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Opinions are like farts:  we all got lots of 'em, we get to hear them whether we want to or not, and a lot of them stink.

John, leave it to you to put things in perspective!  You always make me laugh!  What you say is right, of course, it's just the picturesque way you say it!  Thank you for the early morning BOL

Thanks friends, for all the input!  Sometimes I just stand back and think that all the "common" sense is leaving our culture....actually it is! 

Oh that lady is crazy! The reason there are so many shelter dogs is because of puppy mills = puppy stores! The responsible pet owner would always either go to a shelter or to a breeder. Going to a breeder is the right thing to do if you are looking for a particular breed, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a particular breed! Those pretentious people can go away. 

You know, one time I had a lady in WalMart yell at me for holding a private conversation with my own daughter in Spanish.

That made as much sense as this does.

I am so sorry someone did that to you!  How horrible!   My great-grandmother came here from Eastern Europe and hardly spoke any English til the day she died.  And I am forever grateful that they came.  People so quickly forget their own heritage....

Indeed. I think this lady was particularly offended that I was teaching my daughter ANOTHER language (blond and Germanic as we are)....I'm just a Spanish prof. People are just ignorant. : (

Your absolutely right , that woman had no business  telling you that~ how rude.. I like how you put it , why should we be punished because others are irresponsible!!

Well I have beef with vets!  I had one vet that wanted to charge me $490 to do it.. Shopping around I found $128. The only reason it was that much cause he did not drop all the way on the left side.. Other then that it would of cost me $75.. Not sure on why one vet wants more for the samething?? 

I know I'll get in trouble for this,but You and I live in a beautiful state,but not alot of beautiful people live here anymore.No one has the right to treat You that rudely.We shouldn't have to reason away Our choices of who/what We bring into Our homes to love.I wouldn't dream of rudely attacking another person for driving a large car,buying sodas or a purebred dog.But there is a whole faction of those people living among Us here.I find it amazing when We travel and still find warm,approachable people in other areas.This site is full of responsible loving people.Take care of that little cutie of Yours and never feel guilty for   choosing to love that baby!!

I totally disagree about shelter dogs being the only responsible way to go.  Keeping your dog and taking care of/loving it is the only responsible way to go. The only irresponsible ones are those who abandon their dogs, and you are not irresponsible. :)  As far as pure breeds, I do have my own ideas and beliefs (while I love them, I know it's genetically harmful in the longrun), but never let that stop you from getting the dog you want!  Leena is a purebred dog, and we woudln't want it any otherway.

It is not breeding that creates shelter dogs.  Most of the dogs in the pound are not 8-week old puppies.  They are adults which means that they had a home.  Too many people just see a dog as a toy and when that toy needs meds, become destructive, kids lose interest, etc then they drop it off at the shelter and often get another one.  If all the responsible people only adopt from shelters then only the irresponsible people will be buying purebreds and you can almost guarantee that they will not be getting them from a responsible breeder.   

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service