When we got Charlie, my breeder said that it's better to fix him at about 11 months old, so that his body was more developed.

What do you think?

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard that waiting til that age is better, especially if you're planning on getting your corgi into competitive agility. I've also read 6 months is an acceptable time, and that anything earlier than 6 months can harm your pup *shrug*
that's an interesting info about agility,

thanks, Kelly!
Oh dear LO just got fixed today at 20 weeks.
11 months? Nice to know I was worried we were waiting to long.
So, I presume most of the proud corgi owners have their puppies fixed at the age about 6 months?
my vet had me do it at 6 months, so they dont feel it or remember it. poor things, what pain it must be.
I am sure it's very painful :(
I guess I've always been told to neuter before they have reached 7 months, 6 months is ideal. Our breeder, in our purchase contract, stated that we would get Ein neutered by the time he was 7 months if we didn't plan on showing him. Ein started marking things around 6 months, just about the time we made his appointment. He doesn't really mark anymore. We rescued Ed when he was 1 year, and he had just been neutered a couple of weeks before. He still marks everything, in fact he marked our house when we brought him home (we had to follow him with a shaker bottler for the first week or so)
Thanks, Tina!

I had a dog before, in Russia. It had never been fixed. It was a mute. We've never had any problem with marking.

I wonder how show dogs behave? Do they mark? I presume they are all not neutered?
I wondered that too...All show dogs have to be intact. So how do you stop marking problems?

My Rhys was neutered at 5 months. My next male - I may wait a little longer, depending on what his breeder thinks.
My breeder told me anywhere from 4-8 months, but most of the research I did said that 6 months was ideal. Our little girl just got neutered on Monday at about 6 1/2 months.
Hi Laura,
why does the research say it's ideal - by which reason?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service