I was wondering how everyone made their decision to own a Corgi. There are 1000's of breeds out there, yet why the Corgi? I choose to get a Corgi because I was looking for a high energy dog that was smallish, yet didn't have the intellect of a poodle (no offense to poodle's or their owners) My parents have an amazingly smart border collie, so I was looking for a dog that would be more or less from the same genre. My dad introduced me to some of his client's Corgi's and always boosted how smart they were, even when they were pups! So that's what sold me, that and those ears are adorable!

What about everyone else?

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Fame, wealth, and power eluded me. So I got a corgi."

LOL that should be on a shirt. :)
I always liked big dogs, but due to some health problems did not feel I could handle one. When my husband and I decided we would be getting a dog, we spent a long time researching breeds. We got a book called "Your Purebred Puppy" that does a ranking system where you come up with a score as to what breeds are good for you.

We wanted a medium-sized dog, one we could take hiking off leash (so no beagles or other scenthounds, and no bug-eyed dogs like pugs), one that would be active but would not need hours of running exercise a week (which ruled out Brittanies and Welsh Springer Spaniels), one that was not rare (which ruled out several breeds) and one that would be ok with cats (that ruled out most of the terriers). Also a highly intelligent breed. We were struggling to find a breed that matched us on paper and we actually liked. I love the herding breeds, and if we had unlimited time to spend with a dog, a Border Collie or Aussie would probably have been my first choice. However, with both of us working and no sheep for miles, we did not feel that would be a good match.

We got near the end of the book and came across "Welsh Corgi, Pembroke" and my husband, being British, was familiar with them because of the Queen. I'd hardly heard of them, to be honest. Well, they scored a 9.5 out of 10 for us. The half-point loss was because they tended more towards "Small" than "Medium" in size, so I was actually not upset that Jack turned out to be a bit-oversized.

He is every bit the perfect dog for us that we hoped he'd be.
My first one was right after I got divorced.....decided to get a dog. Bought a book on dogs, read up on different breeds. Have had collies, dobermans, hounds, beagles, bassets and some of the most loving mutts that ever walked the earth. But when I looked at and read about corgis I thought why not. Well after having Tedi Bear for 12 and a half years our hearts were broken when we had to let him go. Didn't take long to figure out that the only help for a broken heart was the love, affection and smarts of a corgi. Plus still trying to find the answer to a question "How do they get such a huge heart into such an adorable little body"? With any luck I will never find the answer but will never stop looking. Every day is a blessing and doubled if you have a corgi in it!
We had lost my husbands dog to illness. He was very upset and having problems getting use to not having a dog. Years ago he had talked about corgis but you really don't see them in this area, A couple months later I found some and checked them out. Max came to live with us. We enjoyed max so much that about 3 mo later we got Molly. We love both to death. They are so much fun. My only problem is housebreaking. We're having a real problem with that.
I was a large breed fan. Growing up we always had German Shepherds along with another dog like a Lab. After graduating college, getting married and getting our first house it was finally time for us to adopt dogs. The first was Brynner a Shep mix from the Humane Society. The next was Heston a Shep mix that was found wandering on the highway. Our family was quite happy and the years carried on.

One of the clients who came to the vet clinic I work at had Corgis. Always loved them and it was great watching them grow up over the 12 years of working at the clinic. From seeing the very pregnant waddling momma Corgi to tails and dews on the babies to their first vaccinations... I got to be a part of their lives. Then life threw me a curve ball and I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. This made dealing with big dogs painful as well as tech work. I shifted my position at work and became the Practice Manager. I still get to work in the field I love without having to stand in surgery for hours, restrain animals or do 5 dentals a day which is murder on the hands when you have arthritis! lol When the younger of the two Shep mixes, Heston, passed away from cancer our home felt funny without two dogs. After several months I felt it was time to find a new dog and at the top of the list was the Corgi. They are smaller but sturdy. They are a big dog but in travel size!

Enter Ashton. He as been a great joy to have in our lives. That bubbly personality, unlimited love and cute bunny butt! Even on the days I have terrible flare ups and find myself in tears, he always cheers me up. On top of that he has also given Brynner a bit more energy again. We are definitely a Corgi family now! :)
Those ears!!!! That grin!! Then those stubby legs and the bunny butt!!!! Not too big and not too small, but the real clincher was the CORGINALITY!!!! They are smart and devoted, like to have fun and energetic! It seemed to me to be a good match for my beagle!!
I wanted a dog a little more than hubby did. Went on a website (I think it was puppyfinder.com) and filled out what we were looking for in a dog.. size (not too big, not too small) not yappy, I'd rather brush than have them groomed (of course When they're blowing I might rethink that), trainabilityh, temperament, etc. and the winner was A CORGI!. Also had seen them / heard about them in dog shows. We have loved every minute (well almost every) of having them
Got mine because they are short like me! :)
I ask myself this question every day... ;o)
Hubby wanted a corgi. I had never seen one in person. Neither had he for that matter. All of a sudden there were 5 different ads for corgis, I checked out all of the ads and found Max. When we decided to get a playmate for him we both went looking and found the Mollydoodle.
I fell in love with their face, and their strut. But I am a nerd and so I did research. Come to find out we have a lot in common. I am short, I feel like I am running in circles all day, and Mark is always telling me how cute I am. When it was all said and done I knew I was a corgi kind of person. I have never doubted that decision, Miranda was the perfect dog, we get along great together. She is just the right blend of energy and cuddly. Morgan is a mutt and a little different, but he favors Mark in that way. So we each have our kids we take after.

To be honest, I have not met a person yet who did not love my corgi!
I had no knowledge of Corgis before I bought Wynn. I had always had large hunting dogs and I love Setters but I didn't want a dog in the country that would want to run! I had just lost a dog and decided rather quicky that life was to short to wait as I normally would have done. I saw an ad in the paper for Corgis, looked things up about them on the internet and went to chose a pup. Well Wynn chose me and it really was love at first sight! My husband was not happy as he had heard these horror stories about how stubborn Corgis were etc. We picked up Wynn and he still wasn't sold on the idea but that changed rather quickly as he learned 1st hand how wonderful they really are! Just the other day my husband complimented me on what a nice job I do training dogs and then he asked me if I also trained him without him knowing it...I didn't respond!
I think it's the smart,loyal and fun loving that sold me!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service