We got our little Corgi, Toast, a month or so ago. She is generally independent when we take her to new places; she'll explore on her own and we're always chasing her down. However, in our apartment, she follows us everywhere. If you roll over on the bed she'll crawl over to the other side. If you get up to go in to the kitchen, she follows you. What's most noticeable is how she'll drop whatever she's doing - even if it's playing with someone - to follow a person in to the potty. Why is this? She doesn't even watch you! She just goes and sits next to you while you do your business and then wanders out when you're done and leave as well. 

It's not bothersome at all... I'm just curious as to what the hell the reason behind it is. 

Views: 2142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corgis are like shadows... they have to be wherever you are. I think they just really love their people and want to be wherever the action is! Mine follows me around, even if we're at the dog park.
Shirley does the exact same thing. She can be dead asleep and if I go to another room I look down and there she is. LOL....I think its sweet.
Oh yes, same in our home. Sometimes I pull a Clark Grizwald and call for Daphne and she's right at my feet.
LOL Angela. Me TOO!
My theory is that they find observing us fascinating! I wish I was as interesting as my corgis seem to think I am! LOL
Riley does this too...I think it's a corgi thing...they are very interested in all that their people do and want to be with us. Corgis are just curious by nature, they sleep with one eye open and both ears on alert! I love it :)
Mine do this too. They "help" me put clothes in the washer, load the dishwasher, mop the floor, and all sorts of things!

Many breeds of dogs like to be close to their masters, but herding dogs especially are selected going back to their earliest ancestors for their desire to make sure their "flock" is all within eye-sight and ear-shot. That makes them great hiking companions; they'll generally only run ahead (or lag behind) a few dozen yards before looking around to find you and scampering back in close. :-)

I find it one of their most endearing features.
Noodles does this, but only to me (his mom). If daddy gets up and moves, he will stay put, but if I'm up and moving, he will follow me around EVERYWHERE I go. When I do the dishes, he sleeps on the edge of the carpet in order to see me the whole time. He is my shadow, but I wouldn't have it any other way. And apparently spending time with us in the restroom is fun?

Now about him lagging behind me or being in front of me, I test him at the park quite often. If he isn't paying attention (yes, he has his stubborn moments), I'll hide behind a tree and it cracks me up seeing him run to the middle of the field with his ears straight up and he turns in circles looking for me. My husband has tried to call him before and he won't come since he is trying to find me. When I step out from behind the tree, it is like you can see the relief wash over his face and he comes flying towards me and gives me kisses. Then after that, he won't take his eyes off me.
I believe that this is because Lilli is in charge of the house and everything in it. That requires close supervision of all activities so she will be able to recognize when we deviate from set parameters. For example, she now knows the difference between Mom really waking up, and Mom opening her eyes enough in bed to read a book. She also can tell if Mom is putting on her boots in order to leave the house without the Corgi (in which case said Corgi should retire to her crate), or if Mom's boots are being put on in order to take Lilli to the dog park (in which case the Corgi remains underfoot while watching all other dogs simultaneously.)

It's also helpful in case the furniture moves. It may need to be herded back someday.

Julia
She's probably studying you, trying to discover your habits and patterns, so she'll know the best times to try to raid the cookie jar, chew your favorite shoes, overturn the water bowl...etc...

Just kidding! :)

My dog does it too, and I have no idea why. When we're outside I can barely get her to do a reliable "come", but inside she rarely lets me outside a 5-foot radius.

I LOVE your dog's name. So cute!
My guess is that Corgi's herding instinct gets re-routed, and watching us fills their 'herding hole'. This behavior certainly helps them learn about us and their environment - to the point where you'd swear they can read your mind. They just tune in SO finely to triggers that we're not even aware of, from all that watching!

I try so hard to play a game of fooling the dog, whenever I mentally decide that he's getting a bath. I have YET to win the game. There are certain things that I do when he's going to be bathed, and I have gone so far as to gather the towels & soap the night before ...but without fail, when it's time to actually give him a bath ...he's silently slunk off to hide, always someplace new. Now, I do not believe the dog is reading my mind - I do believe that I am exhibiting SOME behavior that I can't see in myself, but to him is LOUD & CLEAR.
Um...Herding group? It's their job to watch their stuff. :D

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service