I have no idea why Cooper is like this but since he's been a puppy Cooper has NEVER been excited to eat his dog food. I don't know if it's because he's had too much of a taste of human food, but he's never been so excited to hear the dog bag crinkle. 

Every other dog i've ever known has RAN to the dog bowl when it was time to eat, but Cooper walks and looks at me.. When i try and coax him i have to take the kibble out of the food bowl and put it on the floor and fling the individual pieces at him like a game in order to get him to eat... The past couple of days he's gone down from 2 cups a day to maybe a half of a cup.. 

But he's interested in EVERYTHING on the floor except his dog food. He isn't acting weird, so i didn't think it was a health issue.. He just seems like he doesn't like his food. 
:/ 

My parents think i should mix his food with wet food but i don't know if that's healthy for every meal for him. OR just change dog foods? But i know you're supposed to keep them on the same dog food until after a year.

I just need some advice, i'm very worried about him. :C 

Thank you for all the advice in advanced. 

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linus is never excited to eat either. I used to give him two meals a day, but I switched it to all at once because 90% of the time he'd leave his morning meal. I used to worry, but now I just put the food down and he eats it eventually. He gets Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free adult and Wellness 95& wet food, so I know he's getting a good quality food. I tried to feed him on a schedule, but it just doesn't work for him. I just put his food down and leave it til he eats it. Only once in a blue moon do I have to dump it because he didn't eat any of it within 24 hours. I do mix his food with wet food and sometimes he will eat the wet food and leave the dry for a few hours, but he always goes back and finishes the dry food too. Linus only gets people food when he is sick (bland diet chicken and rice) or at my mother's house (she always makes a plain piece of whatever protein they are eating). The upside is that Linus is almost 17 months and weighs 25lbs. At full grown he will probably be about the breed standard.

As an aside, I tried to change his food three times, once he wouldn't touch it at all (EVO) another time he got violently ill (Wellness Core Dry), and recently I tried to give him Honest Kitchen and he ate the kibble around it. lol.

I'm glad you found a way to help Linus!!! 

I'll probably try and see if leaving his food out will help too. 

You sure he's a corgi?  LOL....

I know right? i'm not sure what's wrong with him. lol

I see that he is not a year old yet so could be still teething so softening the food with a little water may help. 2 cups of food is a lot so he also just may not have been hungry. 1/2 cup twice a day for a growing pup is probably ok. My adult corgi eats 1/3 cup twice  a day with 1/2 cup green beans in the evening. Just put the food down and wait about 20 minutes and if he doesn't eat it, pick it up until the next meal time. Playing with his food puts too much focus on it and can also slow him down. As long as your vet thinks he looks healthy skipping a meal now and then won't hurt. Picky eaters are usually made not born :)

I'm almost positive he's not teething anymore, i think he's just picky. We bought those Pet select meal rolls that you can get a walmart and mixed that with his food he LOVED It the past few days but when i went to give it to him today he just turned away and went on with his business. It's concerning me, but maybe you're right. I'll go down to feeding him a half cup instead of a whole cup and see if that works, thank you Bev.

I agree with Bev especially the warm water...I have 2 adults that I still give warm water to with their food...works well for them, softens their food and they aren't big water drinkers so I think it's good for them.

I agree with Bev. Wet the food a little bit and give him 20 minutes to eat, then pick it back up. He may miss a few meals but he'll figure it out. The more you mix things in and coddle him, the worse he will get. I have a picky eater too, and I've actually found that he eats more readily when offered less food. We do 1/3 cup twice a day + beans, but for a younger dog I wouldn't go under 1/2 cup twice a day.

I definitely wont go under 1/2 cup a day. It's weird though because Cooper is almost 30 pounds if not 30 pounds so it's probably that he's just not as hungry as i think he should be.. But he's always wanting table scraps. We do not feed him any human food anymore so at least he's starting to figure that out. 

Thank you for the advice ;) I may even try the green beans too!

I have the same problem with Momo who is 8 months. Everyone in my household has been guilty of feeding him something from their plate and I've let them know he's starving himself because of them. He constantly goes over 24 hours without eating and I see him puke up bile on a regular basis because he won't eat. What's crazy is I play with him a lot and take him on long walks frequently. I don't understand how he expends all this energy on a single cup of kibble every ~1 1/2 days. I feel like he's getting even more stubborn and the time between his meals is increasing gradually. I'm going off the advice that I see almost everywhere that dogs won't let themselves starve to death, but can't they get some serious health complications if they keep eating the bare minimum for a long time? This is a frustrating situation and I hope you find a viable solution. 

Yes, i think this is the same reason why Cooper wont eat Tae is that people in my house hold give him scraps. We have been getting better though a lot better at it then we usually are. 

Cooper hasn't gone as far to throw up bile but i hope you figure out what's going on with Momo! <3 
Also, Corgi's are DARN stubborn! He's probably trying to push his limits with you! Thinking maybe if he pushes enough you'll give in, Cooper does this with me.. But i think he's getting the point. Somewhat.. Ugh. :/ 

I also got a job recently and am going to try and start switching him over to a better brand of food.. I don't know if this is totally wise since he's only 8 months going on 9 but i feel like it's my only choice. 

Right now he's eating Puppy Chow Healthy Morsels, and he doesn't seem to like it at all. :/

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service