Does anyone have problems with their corgi's nails bleeding after running?

My brother likes to take my corgi out on runs with him, and my corgi seems to enjoy it, but sometimes his nails bleed afterwards because he drags his front nails/toes. Does this happen a lot with corgi's? Or is this just something with my dog? I was contemplating getting booties for him when her runs, but I'm having trouble finding any that will fit/stay on. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for this problem? Or should I just not let my brother run my corgi?

Views: 385

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chrissy, Is it his nails bleeding, or his paws?? I wonder if his nails are too short. The quick will move back after clipping them...but you need to leave a little nail at the end. A lot of dogs are walked or run on pavement or the road, and that is an excellent way of keeping their nails short...I think it's great excercise for the little dude....can your brother run him on grass for a week or so, just to give his nails a chance to grow back a bit?? My corgi herds sheep and he has dragging the feet trouble once in awhile....but he does love it. Good luck!
ARE U DOING THEM OR PET PLACE !! OUR CURGI DONT HAVE THAT ( BEAR )
That's weird... just the other day I noticed the nails bleeding on my corgi! My boyfriend was baby-sitting him while I was at work and he said they played a lot of fetch that day. His nails were VERY short and I haven't cut them in months. I think it's the concrete on drive-ways, gravel, and roads... When their nails drag, it cuts them down further. Our solution is to just walk him, no running or fetch on hard surfaces for at least a week and a half to two weeks. If your corgi is running on hard surfaces like that, then that's probably what's happening.
A couple of other people here have posted about their dog dragging paws and scraping the front of the claws.

I just invented my own claw caps using denture adhesive [watch for my new post soon, with photos].  It's like a dentist making a mold for a crown.  Clean the paw thoroughly.  Remove all fur from the toe with good scissors.  Heat the plastic in hot water -- ceramic cup, handle with metal spoon (it sticks to any plastic) -- until it turns clear and pliable.  As it cools and hardens, it turns white.  It remains pliable at temperatures below burning hot, so you have time to work with it.  Use a glob about the size of a pea.  Mold it onto the claw, hold until white and hard (a minute or so).  Mark the top side with a magic marker or Sharpie pen, else it's really hard to get it back on right.  Pull it off (do not let go), have your assistant (it's a 3-hand job) carefully place a drop or two of super glue into the cavity, then cap the claw and hold until the glue sets.

Use quick-setting super glue.

Practice on pencil tips first.

I did not use denture adhesive.  I have a plastic splint left over from a hand surgery, same stuff.  [Anybody know where to buy this stuff?  Amazingly useful.]  I cut off small pieces and heat in water in the microwave.

Ensure that your caps are not too wide or too big; you must avoid distorting the posture of the foot.  The caps must not spread the toes apart.

Super glue is spilly and bonds skin instantly.  Be careful.  Assistant recommended.

Super glue was developed for medical uses -- closing wounds, replacing sutures -- but the original stuff (now sold in hardware stores) is too inflammatory/irritating. It's been reformulated.  The veterinary stuff is called Vet-Bond.   DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE FOR CLOSING WOUNDS.  It's extremely hard for the E.R. people to clean out.  I used super glue here because it's just plastic-to-claw, not an open wound.

Good small precision cutting tools (maybe a good nail clipper) might be handy for removing any rough edges.

Inspect your work closely and often for any unexpected problems.

Gwynnie has DM, no cart yet, but she's scraping her hind feet badly and wearing the claws down to the quick on pavement.  So far, this seems to be working.

To be continued.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service