Xylitol has its uses -- my dentist recommends xylitol losenges for oral hygeine -- but few people are aware that it can be lethal to dogs at low doses. I keep mine at work and do not allow it in the house.
I believe it binds tightly to canines' glucose-sensing receptors, sending them into insulin shock. Makes them "think" their blood sugar is way too high.
OMG. It's extremely dangerous. It's in toothpaste. Do you keep your toothpaste at work?
I learned about this during my German shepherd phase.Some Gersheps are tall enough to lift a tube of toothpaste off the bathroom counter, if it's carelessly left close enough to the edge (how many of us ALWAYS put the toothpaste away when we're trying to race out the door to get to work???). Dogs have died from chewing up a tube of toothpaste.
It's in artificial sweeteners. People think it;'s cute to let their dogs drink their (fill in the blank: beer, whiskey & water, sugar-free Coke). Guess which of the above will kill your dog?
It's in any kind of sugar-free candy or gum. It's in a variety of cough medicines and other OTC nostrums.
And y'know what? If it's bad for your dog, it can't be great for you...
Signed and shared!
I can't get the petition to open. Anybody else having issues?